There are two places to stay in Marrakesh for the traveler looking for a superior experience. The first is, of course, La Mamounia, which is the ultimate in the big hotel experience. For those looking for smaller, more intimate and charming place, there is only La Maison Arabe.
Unlike the Relais & Chateux property in Marrakesh, Mason L'Orange (which I also visited), La Maison Arabe perfectly blends the riad experience with that of a luxury hotel. There are three reasons for this. First, unlike many of the newer boutique riads, La Maison Arabe is not just one central courtyard that makes you feel a bit locked-in. Rather, its a bit of a rambling property made up of six separate but connected riads. Second, the hotel's nearby garden/swimming pool, which is a 15 minute (free) van ride away, has more charm than the Majorelle Gardens. The pool and food service at the pool are exquisite. It's a true luxury experience. To my taste, I prefer this pool to that of La Mamounia. The third reason is the in-hotel hammam/spa. It was truly exceptional in terms of ambiance, amenities and service.
My wife and I visited here on our honeymoon. We spent 4 days and had plenty to do. We participated in a class in the cooking school and made our own chicken tagine (so much fun -- and delicious). We had our first Moroccan dinner in the hotel restaurant, which has a well-deserved reputation for excellence. It was a memorable meal. The hotel jazz bar, with its barman who knows everyone, is a great place to start or end your evening.
The staff is both discrete and helpful. The front desk staff, Adil in particular, makes you feel welcome from the moment you walk in the door. They arrange local transport, excellent city guides, and outside dinner reservations that were always spot-on. Many others on this site have written about the wonderful decor of the hotel. I will add that it is both mischevious and endlessly surprising, with more and more beautiful objects set about, and one jewel-like room after another waiting to be explored. At night, the hotel glows with candle and lamplight.
The rooms are great. They are spacious and the bathrooms have completely modern and luxurious fixtures and finishes. Overall, our experience in Marrakesh was enormously enriched by our opportunity to stay at this great property. We would return in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This legendary and prestigious hotel boasts 26 exquisitely decorated rooms and suites, 2 restaurants, a new spa, and a choice of 2 large swimming pools (on-site in the medina or at the hotel's country annex, 15 minutes away by complimentary shuttle). The hotel's world-famous Moroccan cooking workshops have become a "must-do" activity in Marrakech. Frommer's describes La Maison Arabe as "the epitome of Moroccan elegance." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Maison Arabe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Maison Arabe Marrakech
- La Maison Arabe Hotel Marrakech