New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of La Maison Arabe

La Maison Arabe
Ranked #16 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
Singapore, Singapore
“first time in the Arab World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This was my first time and my first night in the Arab World. After a 20 hour journey La Maison Arab was everything I hoped for. Perfect sized boutique hotel with the faultless service you'd expect from a larger 5 star group. The Hotel was perfectly located, nothing was too much trouble for the staff, the rooms offered character and ambience, i felt relaxed and taken care of as soon as I arrived.

Room Tip: Go for a room with Balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dimitri238749

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I had an excellent time. The service was perfect, the staff was kind and helpful, the decor was enchanting and the food and cooking lessons were superb. I will definitely go back and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed at La Maison Arabe during a 3 day excursion to Morrocco. In the heart of Marrakech it is central to the markets, medina and tourists sights. We experienced temperatures of 43 dgrees during the day but the hotel was so inviting, cool, and calming. A beautiful pool made the stay more enjoyable. The ambience, meals, room decor, staff and facilities were fantastic. Would definitely recommend to anybody seeking a great place to stay in Marrakech.

Richmond,Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We picked La Maison Arabe for a three-night stay in Marrakech, and the hotel and city were the high point of our trip. I can't say enough about what an oasis of calm and luxury this hotel is! We were treated like royalty by the staff. We had a room (not a suite) and it was spacious, very well appointed, and was our 'palace' for our stay in Morocco. Everyone we met on the staff was warm and helpful. We had mint tea brought to the room, and the staff delivered fresh flowers for Paige. We ate most of our meals in the hotel -- breakfasts were outstanding, with fresh yogurt, fruit, eggs, rolls/pastries, and coffee (though I missed American-style coffee...). Dinner was a choice of two restaurants -- we opted for the one serving Moroccan, French, and Asian. There's another with a fixed-price Moroccan menu we didn't try. Meals were excellent and unhurried. The hotel's common areas, including the restaurant, were all beautifully decorated - I must have taken a hundred photos. I signed up for the cooking class (recommended if you want to learn to cook Moroccan food like tagines) and Paige did the hammam treatment. The location was within fairly easy walks of most of the old city's hotspots, but beware of getting lost -- everyone we spoke with did at first. There's an excellent piano lounge in the hotel (with a colorful bartender). We also spent one afternoon at the hotel's 'country club', a short shuttle ride away, with a pool and food service. All in all, I highly recommend this hotel -- it's like a riad in terms of local authenticity and atmosphere, but large enough to offer great dining and more.

2 Thank danfortuna
Valley du Loir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We didn’t stay at the Maison Arabe but we were there most days for a spa treatment, meal, drink or cookery course.

The cookery course was brilliant, we all managed to cook wonderful dishes and it was a real highlight of our Marrakech trip. The restaurant and jazz bar are also excellent. The one downside was our visit to their hammam. It all looks very pretty with candles burning in glass holders all around the dark, steaming hammam, although a little risk management would suggest that glass, flames and steam are a dangerous combination. We paddled, naked through the shallow water on the hammam floor and my husband and I each sat down on a bench. I felt a twinge in my finger and when I looked down, there was blood pouring down my hand. I then started looking around the bench and floor and there were shards of glass everywhere. I told the masseuse that we were leaving and that we wanted to use the other hammam. I then carefully led my husband out as he is blind without his glasses.

The masseuse just didn’t understand what the fuss was about. She suggested that we try and pick up the pieces of glass and carry on. I was very insistent that the hammam be completely cleaned or we use the other hammam. We were offered tea while the hammam was cleaned and after about half an hour, the other hammam became free so we then had a lovely, invigorating treatment followed by a relaxing massage.

When we came to pay, a 10% service charge was added to the bill and there was no apology for the hazardous state of the hammam. We were very lucky not to have been seriously hurt.

When we were back at the Maison Arabe a couple of days later for the cookery course, we mentioned to the course leader about our dissatisfaction with the way the hammam incident had been dealt with. She was horrified and went and told the manager who immediately refunded the cost of the hammam. I hope that they no longer use glass in the hammams, but if they do, please be careful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonerinFrance
taftaf, General Manager at La Maison Arabe, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our cooking class and the service you received in our restaurant and Jazz Bar. I would like to apologize as we did not meet your expectations in our SPA . We do not use no longer glass in the hammam . We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

When we arrived at this hotel I really wasn't well after coming from the mountains and the last thing I needed was a problem with the room which we got as Antatolian Sky advertise all rooms have bath and balcony or terrace,this is incorrect,anyway the hotel upgraded us for free ,they couldn't do enough and this friendly "go the extra mile" attitude prevailed throughout our stay.The breakfasts were wonderful,dinner was wonderful.If I hadn't been unwell I would have loved to try the cookery school too.We did hear the mosque but we heard it in the mountains and at the coast on our tour,that is the whole point,that muslims can here the call to prayer so I don't think it is any louder here than anywhere else,occupational hazard of visiting a muslim country I suppose,ok it's early but to us it adds to the experience.The wine and flowers on arrival were a lovely touch and we truely loved Marrakech but watch out for pick pockets in the square at night and go to the artisan ensemble to get an idea of prices before you go to the souks as quite often even when you have haggled down to about 20% of the asking price it can still be too much compared to the fixed prices at the artisan,we also really enjoyed the yves st laurent gardens.

• 5 of 5 stars
taftaf, Manager at La Maison Arabe, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience on your last stay. It is always a pleasure to hear such wonderful comments from our guests.I will share your nice comments with our team.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was just a 'time off' 3 days on a business trip and now I can't wait to go back.

Everything was good here - the friendly and personal service, the atmosphere, the meals, the service, the hammam ...

But first the only negative and its not part of the hotel. La Maison Arabe is very close to a major mosque and the ~dawn call to prayer, and the PRE-call to prayer before that will wake you several times before 6am. I'm told that its hard to escape anywhere in Marrakesh (at least) but here you can rely on being woken. But it wasn't sufficient to offset an otherwise great time, even though noise is one of my major issues in hotels.

The general atmosphere is welcoming, cosy and very Moroccan; fresh roses and rose petals on water features, cool courtyards, clubby lounges, all serene and charming.

The eating options are superb. Breakfast is served by the pool on a terrace and was delicious (fresh fruits, yoghurt with honey, pastries ... you get the idea). In the evening you can relax in a cozy bar with piano player, a good wine list and attentive staff.

Rooms are well appointed and stylish; beds are a bit hard in the Arab style, but not too bad.

The in-house hammam was a bit expensive, but worth it to totally unwind.

Basically a marvelous experience, but unless you are an early riser, take ear plugs.

Room Tip: Stairs can be an issue for the less mobile - ask about access if this is an issue
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor!

We are delighted to hear that you were "WOWED" during your stay at La Maison Arabe. I will share your nice comments with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,