“I love it!!”

Hotel Central Palace
Ranked #394 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed November 11, 2010

ohh... I love this Hotel! ♥ a great localization, a wonderful breakfast, and soooo cheap!!! :D The room is very very clean, and the shower and wc. And the best is the price for night...is very very cheap! Inside the medina every hotel is low price, outside you have to pay more, and isn't nearby of the great this to visit! Enjoy your visit

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed in over 1/2 dozen different places in Morocco and this was by far the worst. Yes, it's near Djemaa el Fna but that's the only positive.

Lots of niggling things (no towels given and when we asked, were given damp towels; no hot water at all on 2nd night; no toilet paper - had to ask etc) but the major issues are noise, security and lack or service.

As per other reviews, we had made contact via their website and received no response. When we arrived we were told they had not received our email but had some rooms. The first night our room looked into the internal riad courtyard - the noise from other guests was incredible! At 11.30pm and 12.30pm various guests called out to ask other guests to be quiet or move their party elsewhere. The noise is partly due to the design of the riad but also because staff have no interest in keeping things under control. On the second night we had to move and our room faced over the alley. Nightmare! Noisy 'security guards' from the 3 or 4 hotels in the alley congregated to chat until 3.30am! Despite repeated requests out the window to be quiet, they continued to chatter.

Security was always a concern - room keys are on large blocks of wood (very large) to discourage you taking your key out for the day. Leave it behind at your peril as ALL keys are left on the desk at all times and anyone can just walk in and pick up any key and access your room (as demonstrated when my friend picked up the wrong key). There were also several men (friends of the staff) hanging around the doorway day and night - as a solo female they often passed comment about me in Berber/Arabic as I was leaving or entering. I did not appreciate this, or the sets of eyes watching me and monitoring my comings and goings.

Finally, service. Well, there really isn't much. The people at the desk were basically disinterested in answering our questions or providing advice. The cleaning staff considered us to be in their way. The hotel is interested in getting your money but not in providing resolution of issues.

Marrakech is pricey but I would suggest spending a few extra dollars so that you have a much more enjoyable experience. Can't believe Lonely Planet recommend this place - don't believe the hype!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank ryanpiller
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I was very happy at this hotel It's not perfect, but great value for money for the location (very close to Jemma el Fna). It was clean, a riad style, with a fantastic rooftop terrace. Lots of places to sit, nice views. Rooms were basic, but comfortable. The shared facilities could have been a bit nicer, but they were clean. My biggest complaint was noise from the outside...my room looked out over the alley to the entrance. I could also hear the commotion from Jemma. But ear plugs helped. I found the staff to be just fine...the reviews here lowered my expectations, so maybe that helped. I was friendly with them, and I felt they responded in turn (though not exuberantly). I did not book any tours with them, so I can't comment on that. Overall, for the money, I would recommend this place and stay there again.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Jetsuka
Reviewed June 1, 2010

nice, charming hotel with a terace, with basic rooms (some ensuite), good location but sometimes noisi during the night

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I went to this hotel as it was reccomended by the Routard guide.

Warmth and hospitality are not what you are looking for in Marrakech, a city where you have to constantly defend yourself from scams and you have to bargain for everything. I have travelled a lot (in asia and middle east) and I have rarely experienced anything like this: you can't really trust anyone.

So it's not that surprising that the staff of the hotel(a boy and a girl) had an annoying 'couldn't care less' attitude. And it's not surprising that they even try to rip you off at times, for instance overpricing the excursions (it's too late, the bus is full, it will cost you more...). A very common practice but it's never pleasant.

It really is a shame because overall the hotel is excellent. It is a nice riad-style building, with four floors around a central court. It is conveniently priced (double rooms with shared toilets start from 155 dirhams, 14 euro), extremely clean (except for the shared toilets sometimes) and in the heart of the Medina, at one hundred meters from the famous square Jamaa el Fna. It has an high speed internet connection reasonably priced (1 euro per hour) and the breakfast (which is not included) is nice, in the top floor terrace. It has also a small library with guides about morocco in various languages.

These are the reasons why, after spending two nights there, I returned to the hotel at the end of my trip in Morocco and I would probably return there.

Other notes.
Reservations: the staff doesn't read emails very often apparently. To reserve a room they will require a money transfer with western union for the first night (quite common in Morocco). But it's reccomended that you give them a phone call if you reserve few days before your arrival. When I arrived they had no idea I had a reservation and that I sent the money (although I sent several emails the day before) so we were sent to an expensive suite (nice room but overpriced).

Excursions: we had a great time during the excursions advertised at the hotel, but they use other agencies so it will be slightly cheaper if you go directly to the agencies that organize the tours. Also, you will be taken to a carpet shop (or argan oil shop, or whatever) during the excursion.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hammershark78
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I went to this 'hotel' because it was recommended as good-value by Lonely Planet.
I paid 150 dirhams p/night.
The female receptionist who works in the day was rude to say the least.
and the boy who worked at night has a couldn't-care-less attitude to my concerns.
all in all a bad experience.
i changed hotel the next day.
just walking 10 meters down the lane are many hotels offering 70 dirhams p/night with relatively lot more warmth in service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank phuture2000
Reviewed September 15, 2009

very close to the main square jemnaa el fna.. where all the action take place.. good location for local bus and easy to get to bus station and train station
The riad itself its very clean .. the staff very nice and ready to help.. they offering internet service for a little fee of 10 dirhams per hour (not even 1 pound
the cost will be 100 dirhams x person in a dbl room with shower only x night
if you want a room with toilet + shower is coming at 255 dirhams x 2 people x night
they also organizing trip into the desert.. not to miss!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends