“Hotel is basic, definitely not 4*, pool great, staff very friendly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amine

You added Hotel Amine to your Saves list
Hotel Amine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Abdelkrim El Khettabi | Semlalia, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #402 of 490 Hotels in Marrakech
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Hotel is basic, definitely not 4*, pool great, staff very friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

If you are looking for a budget hotel with a nice pool then this is the place. It's definitely not 4*, nearer 2.5 by European standards I feel. When we arrived we were put in a ground floor room which was very smelly, AC didn't work, screws hanging off shower, drawer handles hanging off and not very clean. We asked to get moved the next day and staff were very helpful & moved us to a higher floor. New room was basic but clean AC still didn't work & others I spoke to had the same problem. Do not expect functioning AC in this hotel as it's also centrally controlled and no amount of fiddling with the guage will make any difference to the faint puffs of air which come out. SOme room are much better than others so tell staff if you don't like yours. Decent AC would make a huge difference to this hotle & raise it's star rating. Breakfast is very basic & not very appetizing. Very little Moroccan food available. I wouldn't recommend eating in the hotel. Prices are very expensive for the quality or choice of food offered & local restaurants are much better & hugely cheaper. In the dining room Cutlery is regularly dirty, plates chipped, table cloths often stained. Everything about this hotel is tired and dated except for the pool area which is lovely, clean and offers plenty of opportunity to relax. We found the staff very helpful on the whole, especially Zanub at lunchtime and Dula in the morning at breakfast. Reception staff were also helpful when we wanted to change rooms and keep our room on for a few hours before leaving for our flight. If you go to this hotel with low expectations of the rooms you will have a very nice time. Location is good as it's near enough to everything but also offers respite from the hussle of the central area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Inca102

Wallasey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have to admit that prior to my holiday I read some of the reviews and began to worry that I had made a mistake. My sister and I had wanted to visit Marrakesh for a while so now I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. Morrocco isn't exactly a wealthy country and it can be a bit of a culture shock when small children are coming up to you in the Medina begging. Okay so the hotel appears a little tired looking. I found the staff lovely, especially the waiters in the dining room, the cleaning ladies ( who always greeted me with a smile) and the barman ( who was actually quite funny)!! My sister and I enjoyed the food in the hotel, so what about the cats!!! Not everybody's cup of tea but go to Greece and you see the same. I don't care, I love cats ( I'd rather spend my holiday with them than some stuck up snob!! I'm veggie but I grabbed some meat each day to feed them!) The pool was great as the weather was just a little too hot and it was refreshing to be able to cool down a little. I would have enjoyed the souks more had it been a little cooler as I don't like to be crowded at the best of times. But it was an experience. As was watching the sun go down at the Medina. Having travelled in India I realise that our cultures are so different and sometimes we don't get 4 star. Sometimes we mistake other cultures as "rude" when in actual fact we're the one's who could be classed as "ignorant". I always believe that a little smile goes a long way and is understood in any language. We had a great time and will definitely visit again but in the spring. The holiday was cheap and great value, I've paid more and had worse. How lucky are we. Some people don't have the opportunity to go on holiday. Make the most of the experience instead of the least!!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Stayed for three nights. It is very much overpriced. The rooms are very small. We had booked a double bedroom but were given a room with two single beds. The man (old and has a thin face) is extremely rude and lies a lot. He promised us that we will be moved to a double room but never did it. The food is bad and the buffet is very crowded and noisy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DCSM_0414

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I was petrified after reading recent reviews regarding this hotel. I was relieved to find that this hotel is adequate, and great value for money. We paid £300 each for 10 days half board including fligthts in mid August.
The room itself was not particularly modern, however it was clean and functional. The shower hose was split, when reported to reception, it was fixed with an hour. However the new hose was quite short and I had to kneel down to wash my hair. The usual house keeping services were carried out daily by the maids to an acceptable standard, towels were repalced daily, bathrooms cleaned etc etc.
I warmed to the staff as my holiday progressed, the first day I thought 'oh my, they are so rude'. However by the end of the holiday we had a regular waiter, table, and a friendly chat with many of the staff. I think their general persona often comes accross as a bit arogant, what with their limited understanding of english and their traditional values/beliefs, however I found them all aimable, not over the top smarmy like in other countries like Egypt and Turkey.
We were really impressed with the evening meals. They were always really tasty and well cooked. There wasn't a huge variety of dishes, normally 2 mains either chicken, fish, beef or lamb, accompanied with potatoes, rice, couscous, veg and a salad style bar. Enough to keep us happy on the nights that we ate in. Breakfast was quite manotanous, the usual asian style breakfast consisting of eggs, cucmber, feta, tomatoes etc with some croissants and pastries thrown into the mix and occasional pancakes if you timed it well or asked.
The pool was well cleaned every day, there was the normal sunbed rush early in the morning.
Outside the hotel you will find Mohammed, a taxi driver with good English. We used him for several excursions for half the going rate. He's friendly and knowledgable, he will try and steer you towards his friends outlets but just tell him what you want to do and he will respect it.
Definately worth a trip is the coast, it i beautiful and far more relaxed than Marrakesh itself.
Don't waste your money on the 4x4 Atlas jeep safari, guide is in french, and quite honestly the tour itself is really boring.
The weather was scorchio the first week, hitting 50 celcius, the last few days we had cloud and rain in the morning, followed by sun in the afternoon.
I did hear some stories of other Brits being ripped off by locals, and verbally abused, and even spat at. However I think it depends on what sort of traveller you are and how much research you put into your trip. If you know how much to expect to pay for taxis, goods in the souks etc then you will leave Marrakesh a happy person. The morrocan's have a fairly hard life and will make a fast buck out of tourists if they can get away with it.
All in all, I had a lovely 10 days, we got into our stride towards the end of the holiday. The hotel was far better than expected for the price I paid, I would return to this hotel, however I wouldn't spend 10 days in Marrakesh again. I would spend more time at the coast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank laurah13
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Went with four others, although the hotel looks stunning from the outside; however, inside the hotel is outdated. Our deal included bread a breakfast, the breakfast was awful with the same food every day, which was mainly bread, olives, tomatoes, turkey slices and powdered orange juice. What was very disturbing was that the food was not covered and flies were always on the food. Equally, the hotel cats were always in the restaurant and begging food from the residents. Our room had air conditioning however, it did not work, the towels were filthy and when we attempted to complain to the hotel, we were dismissed.

Overall, this is a very basic hotel and it does not reflect a four star at all. This hotel should be declassed to a two star. Positively, a large number of the staff was very friendly and the hotel is situated near the town, hence travel to and from the square is easy.

• Stayed August 2010
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I travelled to Marrakesh for a 4 day break.We had read a lot of guide books and reviews of the hotel.
This obviously, by our standards in UK, is not a 4 * hotel. More like a 2* hotel. We found it fairly clean. Our sheets and towels all looked clean. The bathroom was OK ,areas that could have done with more of a clean but basically OK. Yes, its decor is tired but not offensive and if you are only going for a few days and are going to be out and about well, who cares!!!
The breakfasts were OK. Lots of croissants, pain au chocolat and bread.Also a table with fruit, olives tomatoes, cucumber and sometimes eggs on. It was hit and miss if you got pancakes but we weren't worried.
We found the staff OK.No better or no worse than you can find people all over the world.
Tips. It was too hot in August to do much. We stayed by the pool most of the time and only ventured into night market once, and medina once. We had intended to go out more but it was 47 degrees most days and 34 at night. I think we would have enjoyed it more in March/ April.
We tried to find bus stop by hotel and a man on a moped asked us if we were from the hotel. He said he worked there and advised us to get a taxi and go to some place where we would see crafts etc!!!!!! We were daft. He went off and we thought that was that but then as we walked up a side street he appeared again having hailed a taxi for us. We went in it for 30 d approx £2.50 and were taken to the tanneries on the edge of the Medina. Our moped guide turned up again and had texted ahead for us to have a guide around the tannery. The gude gave us sprigs of mint because the smell in the tannery was disgusting. To cut a long story short, everyone wanted paying and the aim of the man on moped was to get us to part with our cash at the shop at the end of the tour. It was selling bags, leather goods carpets etc.. We refused to buy anything there and the guide and moped man were not happy. Their attitude really changed. They demanded payment when we said we had had enough and wanted to go. We gave guide abot 30d but refused to give moped man anything. He was not happy!!! Then the guide asked me to give him my little Kipling monkey that hangs on my bag 'as a present'. I refused and we scarpered. Needless to say taxi had disappeared and we struggled to find our way back. So be warned.
They all have mates who they text ahead.A taxi driver did this too when we went to souks in day.He was texting in the taxi ahead so that when we were dropped off at the square a guide was there to meet us. Wise by now we refused the guide and politely told him to get lost which didn't go down too well!!! Marrakech is a fascinating place and I'm glad we went but be warned about heat in August.It is not a relaxing place. You are hassled everywhere and end up not believing anyone or trusting them.
I wouldn't go back to the Amine hotel.There was a hotel around the corner called the Imperial which was 4 star and this looked much better. We used their computer there and ate there one night and the staff were very helpful and friendly.
By the way.I worried about what to wear. Anything goes but not short shorts and very strappy, revealing tops except in hotel.
Take a pillow if you can or cushion. The pillows were the continental bolster type and rock hard!!!! Drinks in hotel and food expensive but you could eat out at Pouchi cafe around the corner dead cheap!!!
PS we didn't think the hotel pool was very clean. The water looked very cloudy. We were both ill so not sure if it was that!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I stayed in the Hotel Amine during my first trip to Marrakech in August 2010.
The rooms were far from delapidated, the hotel staff were despicable. As a British tourist, I made the effort to learn some French words as I knew the most commonly spoken languages in Morroco were French and Arabic.
The bar staff refused to speak to us, taking only our orders for drinks and serving them whilst facing the other way and the rest of the hotel staff spoke to us only in French. When we asked if they spoke English, they walked away and ignored us.

I not only had a problem with the hotel, but also the actual city centre itself. Whilst my teenage daughter and I went to the nearest souk to browse, we became lost and were looking for the way back to the hotel. Out of respect for Morroco's culture as a muslim country we were dressed appropriately, wearing sunhats, glasses and cardigans so as not to offend anybody. We were then approached by a man who gave us directions back to the hotel and we expressed our gratitude, he then asked for money as payment for the directions. He ordered we give him 400 Dirham for his knowledge, which we starkly refused. When I handed him 20 as a method of getting off my back, he promptly SPAT ON ME and told my teenage daughter to "GO AND F--K YOUR MOTHER".

My teenage daughter was highly distressed, and had this occured whilst at home in Britain I would have not only knocked the gentlemans teeth down his throat, but would have thrown him through the nearest shop window. However, for respect out of a different nation's society, I composed myself and refused to retaliate.

When we asked the hotel staff later what time breakfast is usually served, they walked away from us again. We were constantly ignored throughout the entire trip by the hotel staff, and the people in the city centre were far from friendly, instead they attempted to scam us for every penny we had, letched over my 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, attempted to sexually harrass me and attempted to steal my hat; by which point I had simply had enough and shouted at the man who did so.

Not only would I not recommend Amine Hotel as suitable accomodation for anybody, but I would not recommend Marrakech as a holiday destination in general. I witnessed families with children walking around parts of one of the souks and wondered how long it would be until they had been scammed beyond belief.

I cannot make my words of advice any clearer, as a result of the absolutely horrible and rude hotel staff, the unfriendly and downright horrid people and being spat on by a fully grown man I would deter any human being from going to this place on holiday. It was utterly disgusting and we refused to leave the hotel complex (the lesser of the two evils, so long as the staff were not called for) for fear of being harrassed after 4 days.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family