“My last stay at Hotel Ali”
Review of Hotel Ali

Hotel Ali
Ranked #425 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've been using the Hotel Ali now for more than 20 years mainly as a stop over pre / post trips to the Atlas or desert.
I had booked to double rooms as on this occasion my trip to Maroc involved daughter and her fiancee for a couple of nights on our return to Marrakech and before flight home.
They did for the 1st time ever actually have my booking but were not able on the 1st or 2nd request to provide the rooms I wanted but with a little persuasion the rooms I required were made available.
They have performed some upgrading of the rooms since my last visit in February 2011 and this appears to be ongoing with room 204 next to my preferred room totally gutted.
I was most disappointed to find that the legendary nightly buffet was not available and would not be going forward due to them selling off the area where the kitchen and breakfast to a French chap who has created a shinny new and in my estimation waste upmarket cafe.
They also seemed now to be moving away from the trekking market to the local Moroccan which again has brought the hotel down with wild children running about screaming late into the night.
All in all after using this hotel for over 20 years I will now on my next visit look to book into another.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 204 through 208 as this will give you a terrace over the Jem el Fina.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank McInnesTravel

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you want to be in the central of Marrakesh and be able to walk practically everywhere, this is the hotel for you. The roof terrace offers superb views, and money can be changed opposite reception. I had no problems with "English" and being understood, even with my Northern accent!

The water was hot and the breakfast not bad, fresh orange juice, hard boiled eggs, crepes etc. Was there a towel in the room no. Did I care? No. I felt that for £25 a night for two people, to be in the middle such a wonderful city was a privilege. Having stayed at the Hotel in a room overlooking the central courtyard and also another room overlooking the street - both my nights sleep were fine. If it had been noisy then I would have put in foam ear plugs. Problem sorted. I can sleep when im dead! It was brilliant to be so in the thick of the action.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jill P
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great location, djemma el fnaa square is literally on your doorstep. The hotel have very friendly English speaking staff, especially Meriam. I stayed in room 110, which was newly renovated, with a double bed and a clean toilet/shower. Upon reading the reviews I was confused about whether the hotel supplied towels and ran hot water and can confirm that my room ran hot water every hour of every day but you should pack your own towel! The room was cleaned everyday. I have no complaints whatsoever - would definitely stay again. Breakfast was basic. One tip : take the #19 bus outside the airport if you stay here. The bus is clean and very spacious, the bus driver speaks very good English and it is only 50dhr for a return ticket (if used within 2 weeks). I was told by a friend and it honestly has to be one of the BEST COST EFFECTIVE TIPS EVER. The bus stop is literally a 2 minute walk to the hotel (if that!) the bus driver can give you a map and directions to the hotel, but it's seriously not rocket science. The area is very safe (even at night) I have had no problems, there is a safe ATM machine a few doors away from the hotel and the hotel has its own bureau de change. In regards to the noise, outside the hotel it was very noisey and lively (due to it's close proximity to the square). However, I did not experience any problems when sleeping, this may simply be because my room wasn't over looking the main road, it was situated in the middle of the riad :)

Room Tip: Room 110, clean and very spacious :D
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Can be very noisy if you are in a room at the front but it's right in the middle of town so noise is inevitable. As another post has indicated towels are grey, not white. If a light bulb goes forget a replacement - you won't get one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel is like living in the middle of piccadilly circus. 100s of people milling around - queuing outside for the bureau de change -mthe foyer taken over by dozens of men for prayer (the prayer room was full). My room is comfortable and of a reasonable standard - not all rooms are pf the same standard - some are very tatty from what I saw. The towel I was given was 'gray' rather than white -I wasn't convinced it was clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here before trip to climb toubkal. Very basic but clean with hot showers. Location second to none. Right on heart of square. Terrace has great views. English can be a struggle but they are accommodating. If u need cheap and cheerful in centre of Marrakech,this is Ur place. As a single female I felt safe and secure.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Excellent location, a swimming pool is in a hotel nearby if you ask at the desk to pay for the day 100 dirhams unless in a big group which you could barter the price with a bit. Only 40 minutes from the atlas mountains as well. Air conditioned rooms, they look broken but they're not. It is extremely basic but is excellent value for 100 dirhams a night.

• Stayed: August 2012