“It's ok”
Review of Hotel Ali

Hotel Ali
Ranked #410 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Can be very noisy if you are in a room at the front but it's right in the middle of town so noise is inevitable. As another post has indicated towels are grey, not white. If a light bulb goes forget a replacement - you won't get one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel is like living in the middle of piccadilly circus. 100s of people milling around - queuing outside for the bureau de change -mthe foyer taken over by dozens of men for prayer (the prayer room was full). My room is comfortable and of a reasonable standard - not all rooms are pf the same standard - some are very tatty from what I saw. The towel I was given was 'gray' rather than white -I wasn't convinced it was clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here before trip to climb toubkal. Very basic but clean with hot showers. Location second to none. Right on heart of square. Terrace has great views. English can be a struggle but they are accommodating. If u need cheap and cheerful in centre of Marrakech,this is Ur place. As a single female I felt safe and secure.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Excellent location, a swimming pool is in a hotel nearby if you ask at the desk to pay for the day 100 dirhams unless in a big group which you could barter the price with a bit. Only 40 minutes from the atlas mountains as well. Air conditioned rooms, they look broken but they're not. It is extremely basic but is excellent value for 100 dirhams a night.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Very good option for backpackers, but if they put you in a bad room you can ask then to change this. It happened with me and my husband. The first bedroom was incredible bad, small and dirty, but we asked in the reception and they changed without problem. Very good location and very cheap. Dinner is simple, but avarage. The staff is not very kind, exception a sweet girl, the only of the group who speaks english.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I flew out to Marrakech in December 2012 and booked into the Hotel Ali which is directly on the Jema El Fina (main square). I pre booked via the internet since I originally visited this hotel in September 2012 whilst in Agadir with friends.

I communicated to the receptionist via email and was promised to reserve a better room for the three of us as we also had a young daughter with us. Upon arrival, the room was not ready and we had to wait for the cleaners to clear and sort everything. Unfortunately our worst experience was when we returned from Agadir we we stayed for 2nights. Our original room even though reserved, was given away to somebody else something we were very disappointed with.

Instead we were given a very drafty room which had no heating at night when the temperature drops and it becomes cold.

would not recommend this hotel and wont be staying here ever again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ZamyH
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I've been using Hotel Ali for the last ten years and until this year was quite happy. It's in an ideal postion just metres away from Djemaa el Fna (so take ear plugs if you want an early night), has offered a good breakfast, has a cafe/pizzaria and normally serves an excellent evening buffet meal on the roof terrace. It's a good place to meet other travellers and the rooms are gradually being upgraded which is good.

But all this has changed this year. When I visited in February 2012 the kitchen/breakfast area had been walled off and was being renovated. And the evening meals on the terrace have been stopped, presumably because there's no kitchen any more.

I assumed that by June this would be finished but nothing seems to have happened other than the cafe/pizza area has now also been closed off. There's only one tiny area available downstairs and yesterday when I was doing a YouTube upload using the wifi this was invaded by locals who were using it as a mosque. So any guests had to vacate.

I sincerely hope all this is a temporary aberation and that normal service will soon be resumed, but check first before booking. The staff are very good but what's happening is clearly out of their hands.

Room Tip: There's a HUGE variety in the rooms available, I prefer the ones with external balconies.