“Evidently an institution of sorts”
Review of Grand Hotel Tazi

Grand Hotel Tazi
Ranked #479 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Located close to Jamaa el Fna, and one of very few places with beer in the vicinity, I can see why people go here. It is well worth a visit both for the beer and the curious nature of such a run down place called "Grand Hotel". It might have been grand at some point, but it sure is not now. It's dark with old and worn furniture, and in general outdated. This is all fine though, as you can get a beer from the nice staff at a not overly inflated price.

I cannot say anything about the rooms, but looking at the general state of the place I would avoid it, as there are numerous other places in town at cheap rates which seem a lot nicer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank svetho

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Great place to get drunk! Yes its a bit grotty. Yes the food is below par. Yes it is overpriced.But this is a fantastic cultural meeting point. I always stay at tazi before or after a flight and get rat assed quietly every time, never without meeting someone or persons of great interest. The people who run the place are just the right ammount of crazy and very friendly (drunk) maybe.....of course not they are muslims , they are very funny if you are of the mind set to find stuff amusing rather than frustrating ( which is handy in Morocco!).xx

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank andylbonczyk
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for the location and the fact that it sold alcohol and showed the football!
For the whole week I stayed in gorgeous riads which where cheaper and a million times prettier.
The room was priced per person not per room.
Bargained them down to 200 dirham per night per room.
Rooms were ugly, dark,smelly damp and noisy. Bathrooms filthy. Building work going on all day.
Staff very friendly apart from the big man who tried to charge us 20 dirham to leave our case in the reception the day we were checking out.
Old man in the bar fantastic,friendly chap.
GREAT CENTRAL LOCATION to the square and souks, easy to find,serves the cheapest beer(apart from carrefour supermarket) and the old decor in restaurant and reception is amazing-dont let it fool you-check out the room before you stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our tour guide convinced us to try the restaurant of the "Grand Hotel Tazi". And what can I say? It was terrible. Maybe worse. First impression: Only tourists. This is always an indicator for a poor restaurant. But we were tired and hungry, and hoping for tourist-friendly hygiene standards. Boys, were we wrong! It took an eternity for our water to arrive, and just as long for someone to bring us the menu. Which looked weird, because it had maybe a dozen different items, all for the same (ridiculous!) price. There was also an "Offer of the day", which cost even more and which was recommended by the waiter. We refused and chose two different meals from the regular menu - which obviously no one had expected, for from the amount it took for the food to arrive I can only guess they had to breed, raise and kill the chicken and lamb, respectively, first. The servings were small, the meat of poor quality and the service really bad. Obviously we had been identified as people who did not want to spend much money. The sanitary facilities, by the waqy, were dirty and broken. Finally we asked for the bill and left without a tip, which visibly upset the waiters. And what can I say - my travelling companion contracted a severe case of "Montezuma's revenge", which can only stem from eating in this etablissement. So, please, stay away - even if the only argument you always seem to hear about this restaurant/hotel is that they serve alcohol... it seems they enjoy their own drinks a bit too much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Diandra L L
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Normally I avoid being led to any sort of business being touted by someone from a distance but on this occasion in Marrakesh's main square I was so keen to have a cold beer I succumbed. The young man who spoke uncommonly good English explained it was a traditional Moroccan restaurant that could sell beer because it was some distance from any mosque and we could consider the menu before deciding, so what was to be lost? At first sight it wasn't too appealing but once inside the shabby-chicness of the place and the promise of a three course meal for 120 dirhams each (a reduction from 150 'because we were a family'?) persuaded us to give it a go. While waiting it was enjoyable watching the various members of staff wandering around and trying to work out who was in charge while a band of elderly guys played traditional music accompanied by the sounds of the fountain. The cold starters of various vegetables, salads and olives were all very tasty and well presented in small tagines and the accompanying bread was just as fresh. My main course tagine had a decent sized quarter of well cooked, very tender chicken and ample vegetables on a bed of fluffy couscous. The vegetable tagine was apparently good too. Dessert was a decent range of fresh fruit. Importantly, the local Speciale Flag beer was cold and at 25 dirhams the cheapest we came across in a restaurant in Morocco. That said, in our experience at least, the beer isn't the only good reason to go here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank simon-fidler
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our first night in Marrakesh was marked by being ripped off at the beautiful Salma restaurant. Determined not to be done again, we decided to play it safe and go for a pedestrian tourist meal on ' La Grande Place- Jemaa-El-Fna'- knowing full well that it would be alcohol free as all of the restaurants/cafes there are within 400m of a mosque. The plan was to have supper on the square and then repair to the bar at the Tazi for postprandial drinks, However, as with most well laid plans, this was doomed to failure! We were accosted by a guide even before we had a chance to look at a menu- he was passionate about the poor service, low quality and lack of booze that the square had to offer, and despite strenuous attempts to bat him off (in french), he stuck to us like a leech and steered us to the Restaurant at the Grand Hotel Tazi. where we were greeted(?) by an unfriendly waiter, a chain-smoking manager and a horde of very thin cats. The decor was fashionably shabby chic and suspiciously empty! I asked to see the menu-it was a dogged-eared ( yes, there was only the one) and poorly thought out, but there WAS a choice...menus de jour at 150, 185 or 250 DH...the waiter insisted that we wanted the 250DH set menu, we insisted on the 150.. and were punished!! The waiter took our drinks order... brought the 1/2 bottle of wine to the table immediately, then was too busy with a group of French business people, to open our half bottle for the next 15 minutes.!! We then committed a further sin by refusing to accept his recommendation for our meal 'you will have the. 250 DH menu' 'No, you will bring us the 150 menu' which he eventually did; grudgingly. The salads were magnificent..the couscous awful, the mixed grill enjoyable. When he finally deigned to open the wine, it was very nice indeed. Further punishment was exerted in the form of dessert..a plate of over-ripe fruit would be the kindest description...rotting bananas and unwashed grapes is probably more accurate. This was OK because we were so full of salad and kebab that it didn't matter.. and it kept them happy as the platter was untouched, they would probably serve it up to the next customer!!
would I have put up with this level of service in any other city on the planet? The gaff was empty, the decor was charming, and I was so hungry that I could have chewed off my own leg, and to be fair I'd had worst food and service at much greater cost the evening before ( the very posh Salma) AND in Barcelona last month...( and as a complete aside, I am a victim of the gastro-pub revolution that has taken place in the SW of England over the past 20 years.. so maybe my views shouldn't be taken that seriously).
The surreal nature of the evening made me laugh! It was all 'such fun!' in a Kenny Everett/Miranda sort of way.
In a bizarre twist of fate, as we were passing the Tazi the following afternoon on the way back to our Riad, the waiter greeted us like long lost friends...had we over-tipped, or did he appreciate the fact that we took the whole experience on the chin?
I do think that they, (Le Grand Hotel Tazi) are a learning organisation- after our experience we read several reviews on Tripadvisor, including one written a week earlier complaining abut the appalling toilets... when we were there, the loos were spotless.
As an aside, I must say that as a well rounded traveller, I am always prepared for the absolute worst as far as loos are concerned. Every loo I went into in the Medina was spotless and I only had to resort to my stash of loo paper once- this cannot be said of many major cities in southern and eastern Europe.
If you have a sense of humour, the restaurant at the Grand Hotel Tazi is not that bad. I think they are weary, and got left behind when the plethora of great new places opened in Marrakesh. What they need is an injection of enthusiastic clients who will encourage and not condemn, a good band( if they got rid of 3/4 of the tables they could still do a more covers than they do now AND have space for people to have a bit of a bop) and a couple of bloody good stand up comedians to bring the crowds in.
Call us weird, but we loved it and would certainly go back again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Freddy P
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay at the Tazi but had a fun few afternoons/ evenings there quenching our thirst, resting our weary legs after busy morning of haggling and being accosted by the ever helpful locals wishing to lead us to whichever market was there for one day only!
Forgive the low marks just being honest, but still a great place to hang out and have a drink in the smoke filled lobby and watch the comings and goings. Quite hilarious and always something going down. Don't expect five star service but great for people watching. Sit back, soak up the atmosphere, admire the amazing interior.

• Stayed: September 2013