“Well below par for a Starwood property. AVOID!”
Review of Le Meridien N'Fis

Le Meridien N'Fis
Ranked #149 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Brisbane
“Well below par for a Starwood property. AVOID!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

As a Starwood Preferred Guest, I was looking forward to coming to this hotel after staying at Accor hotels in three other Moroccan cities. What a let down. This tired old workhorse of a hotel is in need of a total makeover and the staff and management need to be re-trained or replaced.

ROOMS: tired, broken bits and pieces, ugly 90s furniture. Bathroom not bad though and beds are comfy. Only 3 English channels on TV.

LOCATION: it's true what other reviewers have said, the medina and the new town are both a good 20 minute walk away but we didn't mind this.

COMMON AREAS: free wifi in reception does not work but we managed to convince the surly piece of work to give us another free code that did work. Otherwise we would have had to pay $40 to use wifi in the hotel for the week.

Carpet in hallways is all torn and stained.

Bird poo in all the light fittings and on chairs in breakfast room from all the sparrows flying around.

Guest computers simply do not work. Foyer can smell really badly of smoke.

Pool area very tired, broken tiles, sun lounges.

BREAKFAST: Pretty good, nice freshly made omlettes. Surly service (see service below).

BAR: a joke. You have to pay 10dh to play pool. They play the same cd of 5 songs on repeat and seem confused when we ask if they have any other music. Colored lit up bars that look like they belong at a Vegas pool bar. Rude staff. Overpriced drinks.

STAFF: Generally rude, uninterested, sometimes they even ignore you.

Example 1: I passed a staff member I assume was a manager near the pool and said 'bonjour' to him and he actually grunted at me.

Example 2: I went to use the toilet near the pool terrace restaurant and one of the waiters is standing up using the toilet with the door open. When he sees me he closes the door. I go in to use the toilet after him and there is pee all over the seat and it's not flushed.

Example 3: There seems to be an overkill of managers in suits in the breakfast room and i hate to say this but they basically ignore non-Moroccan guests and fawn over Moroccan guests. I told one of them that there was a bug in the juice and they just fished it out there and then. At least take it to the kitchen and give guests the impression you are replacing it.

Example 4: i asked the cashier for some small change (ie 1 dh coins). His response: "no i don't have". But I could see heaps in his drawer.

Example 5: We start a game of pool, 5 mins later the bar staff are shutting blinds, turn off music and stand around glaring at us.

I should point out that the housekeeping staff and doormen were always friendly. The problem seems to be the food and beverage, reception, and management.

Starwood you have a problem with this hotel. It is well below par for what I have come to expect from a Starwood property.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Stuart A
Mr_Alaoui_GM, General Manager at Le Meridien N'Fis, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Le Meridien N’Fis Marrakech and taking the time to share with us your experience.
We are deeply sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
There is no doubt that your comments will help us to improve and provide the best quality of service you may expect.

Abdelouahed ALAOUI -Fdili

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm not quite sure when the other reviews were written but it's now December 2012 and I think most of the issues raised have now been resolved. When I arrived at the hotel I was booked in for 6 days - 3 for business and 3 for pleasure. I had arranged for my wife to join me at the end of my business meetings for a short weekend break.
From the moment I arrived I was made to feel very welcome and was given a glass of traditional mint tea while I waited to be checked in. The reception staff were very courteous and attentive.
I dined in all of the restaurants and have to say that the food was excellent. The waiting staff were both professional and attentive and the entertainment, whether it was belly dancing or the guitar and box duo, were first class.
When my wife arrived on the 4th day the head porter Said welcomed her to the hotel with a single red rose, freshly brewed mint tea and bathed her hands in rose water - she was amazed at the welcome. When we arrived in our room the chambermaid had spread rose petal on the bed - yet another special touch.
I could go on and on about how how wonderful my stay has been at this hotel but I may be in danger of making the previous reviewers vomit. Things must have changed in a very big way at this hotel because despite being a bit old and tired the experience was more than I expected and the service was brilliant. Well done all Le Meridien N'Fis

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pasadena, California
Reviewed December 9, 2012

As an SPG Platinum guest, I travel a lot for work and pleasure, and this property would fall at the bottom of the list of hotels I have stayed. Before you even walk into reception, you see the fountain in front that is not functioning, there is not even water in the fountain's chipped basin. Rooms are old, towels are so old, they are grey color, A/C didn't work, no screens on the windows/balcony doors, the moment you open window, you have tons of flies in the room. Breakfast was of average quality (omelette station saves it from being below average), orange juice was so diluted with water you could never tell it is freshly squeezed (which is what the sign tells you); birds are flying in the breakfast room, sitting on tables, very unsanitary. Spa was a joke and it was so rundown (locker rooms, dirty sinks, wet sauna with chipped tiles and ceiling) that I am surprised they can even charge for it! With the exception of Said, the porter, everybody else didn't exude the attitude they were happy to have you; hotel has a van, but the amount they charge to take you to the airport that is very close, is way above even the rate of the taxis at the airport. If you choose to walk to Medina, it is about 15 -20 min walk, would have been so easy for the hotel to offer a complimentary ride and make many people happy. We didn't try hotel restaurants (didn't find the menu exciting) but if you walk about 10 min towards the Congress Hall, there are several new restaurants on the same side of the road as hotel, all reasonably priced. Inner courtyard gardens were nice, and it is the only good thing about this hotel. We left hotel earlier to stay at a different place and will not recommend this hotel to anybody - they need to at least maintain the property (it is not difficult to buy new towels and linens if you can't do a renovation) and more importantly, train stuff to project hospitality to guests.

4 Thank Lucy_CA
Mr_Alaoui_GM, General Manager at Le Meridien N'Fis, responded to this review, December 19, 2012

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Everything was okay.... the location is fabulous, you can easily walk into the old town - be careful crossing the roads! Its about 15 minutes from the airport and in a very nice area. As the other reviewers have said, the receiption staff are very abrupt and don't seem to have a customer service ethic. The other staff are polite and are generally happy to help.
The rooms are fine, working fridge, didn't need the a/c but the heating worked well. The beds were comfortable, pillows great but the towels had seen much better days.
The 'turn down' service with fresh towels, bottled water and chocolate was welcome.
Food was reasonably priced and good quality, breakfast was included and was very good - excellent omlette station.
Probably won't go back to Marrakech but will consider Meridien elsewhere.

Room Tip: Although there is visable security, I would ask for a room above ground level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicholap19
Dear Guest,

I’d like to thank you very much for your kind comment on Tripadvisor. We are so
delighted to notice that you have appreciated the hotel (Location and restaurant).

During your next trip, let me suggest you to try our different restaurants and explore
Moroccan delights at “L’IWAN Restaurant”.

Abdelouahed ALAOUI-Fdili
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Out of date rooms, sheets were old and had stains, there was no air conditioning, there were electrical shorts in the gym and each time i tried ti run on the treadmill the power would go off after 15 minutes and they made no effort to fix the issue, over priced breakfast, will never return!

6 Thank M H
Mr_Alaoui_GM, General Manager at Le Meridien N'Fis, responded to this review, December 5, 2012

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This place was so bad on so many levels. I am an SPG Platinum member. No upgrade during my stay, that's understandable, but charging for wifi? It's as if they had never herd of the SPG program. The room which I was given had an unbelievably strong odor of mildew. This, after spending 20 seconds in an elevator with the doorman who was kind enough to help us with our luggage, but seemed not to have taken a shower in days. The wifi in the lobby did not work at all. The location - other reviwers noted how it was quiet and had an oasis-like feel ... this is true, however, it is quite a distance from all the sights. We were so dissatisfied that we switched to a riad in the walled city after one night. I cannot recommend anyone to stay here until a major renovation has taken place, the staff is re-trained and the hotel adheres to the usual standards of being an Starwood property.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel.
3 Thank EveryCountryBy50
Mr_Alaoui_GM, General Manager at Le Meridien N'Fis, responded to this review, November 29, 2012

Thornbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a great hotel in a perfect location. Being only 15-20 minutes walk to the medina, we had all the excitement of being in the city, but could escape to the oasis of calm that this hotel offers. The staff were all excellent and the facilities were all that would would expect from a Starwood Hotel. Youseff, Head Concierge was incredibly helpful and tactfully suggested alternatives to the overpriced and touristy restaurants I had picked from the guidebook, instead pointing us to some lovely and inexpensive places with good, authentic Morrocan food. He also booked a wonderful day tour in a 4x4 up into the valleys of the Atlas Mountains, which was great. Both Yousef and Said (the excellent Head Porter) have been with the hotel for over 20 years and they both take pride in the service the hotel delivers....and it shows! As to the facilities on offer, I upgraded to a suite using my Starwoord Suite points and this gave me two large rooms (Bedroom and sitting room) with a enormous bathroom and additional WC. I had a great view, with partial views of the mountains and full view of the lovely hotel gardens. The only drawback was the loud noise from the nightclub, so I would suggest earplugs, which thankfully I always take with me when I travel. Breakfast was a buffet and they had a good selection of hot and cold food on offer. The Morrocan restaurant was very good and a good price for a hotel and the bar does a good cocktail. I had no time to enjoy the Spa but their services seemed very comprehensive, so I will definitely try this next time. Looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a patio on the ground floor and these are quieter but it does mean you can'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LBM04
Dear Guest,

We are so happy to learn that your journey was a great success and all your expectations came true. We are also delighted that you have appreciated hotel service, and staff’s attention.

an amazing oriental atmosphere at “AL KHAYMA” tent.

We look forward to welcome you back to Le Meridien N’Fis for another amazing
Trip where you’ll continue to discover more and more wonderful areas at le Meridien N’Fis.

Best regards from Marrakech!

Abdelouahed ALAOUI-Fdili