WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #79 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
kent
“Divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at La Mamounia for 4 nights in August and had a truly wonderful time. The grounds are stunning and overall, the service was very good. Although it was a bit slow in the outdoor bar - which was surprising given the hotel was fairly quiet.

The hotel is situated in a great location - only a few mins walk to the medina, but far enough away from the crowds that you can chill out and relax if you want to.

We stayed in a park suite overlooking the gardens. The room more than lived up to our expectations and was definitely worth the upgrade. We had 2 balconies, a sitting area, 2 loos a huge bedroom and bathroom. I've never seen such sunning decor - the pictures don't do it justice.

The SPA was pure luxury, I had the most relaxing massage ever!

I would definitely recommend booking on a B&B basis. Breakfast, was buffet style which offered an extensive range of delicious hot and cold food from pastries to eggs benedict and kept us full till dinner most days. The poolside service was excellent and the snacks were very tasty - especially the chicken salad which tasted wonderful due to the home grown herbs from the hotel's garden.

The pool was magnificent and a definite plus point if you are travelling in August as it's 47 degrees during the day.

In summary I would recommend this hotel if you’re looking for a luxurious break, in beautiful surroundings with all of the finery that you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank woodsyKent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have stayed at the Mamounia several times before renovation. The Mamounia has been our savior each time we planned to stay elsewhere in Marrakech. Rented a ryad in the Medina once: catastrophe, ended up at the Mamounia, went to a boutique hotel in the Palmeraie: catastrophe: ended up at the Mamounia. Now I know that in Marrakech it’s Mamounia or nothing.

People complaining about the service, or saying this hotel is not the top anymore? We are not talking about the same place. It’s true that the former employees remembered us and were so happy to see us back that they were more than kind, even offered us the desert at the French restaurant as a welcome back. Everybody was wonderful, absolutely everybody from the moment we were greeted with almond milk and dates, till the moment they put our luggage into the car for departure. I can’t even list all the little attentions and details that pleased us. And for that amount of staff (750 people at your service) I believe that he price of the room is not that expensive.

I love Jacques Garcia’s decoration even if the general remark is the darkness => not very photogenic if you want to take pictures of yourself inside. Room was great, I can’t even talk about the quality of the bed and the Porthault bed sheets!!! The best sleep I had in a hotel for a while. Acoustics are good if you are not unlucky enough to be neighbors with a hysterical American woman who spends her time yelling at her companion (fortunately they left…).

As for the food, it is true that it’s a bit expensive. The breakfast buffet is beautiful and you regret you just can’t eat all they have to offer. Service was remarkable, they tried to anticipate all our needs.
The French restaurant was delicious (entrée great, main course good and desert out of this world) . The Italian was great for lunch: the deserts were so amazing we wanted to go back, but for lunch they alternate the opening of the French and Italian restaurant. For diner both are open. So we had to go back to the Italien in the evening and this was my only disappointment. The menu was different and double priced for the same quality. I didn’t understand why we’d be paying more just because it’s the evening. They didn’t have the ingredients for the desert I wanted (figs) so I had to chose another one which ended up being disappointing. All in all for that diner I felt I just threw 150 EU through the window.
We also had Morrocan food served in our room and it was just as great as it was in my souvenir. Bar is great and I’m so happy they opened the little Menzeh pavilion for ice creams and pastries as the Mamounia cornes de gazelles are the best in the world. They were even nice enough to prepare some for us to take away when we left.

The pool is gorgeous, huge. The gardens are among the most beautiful on earth. I do wish they were even more severe with ugly tourists wandering around. If you want to see the top just please dress the part.
The Mamounia hotel will always be in our hearts, it’s paradise on earth and we are counting the days till we get back there.

PS: for dog owners, not tried this time because our dog died but in the past our dog was always very well welcomed and he loved the park. It seems it's still the case because they even have a menu for dogs.

Room Tip: We always take a park view room as it's quieter than the pool view rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lipi5star
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am torn between how fantastic this place is and now utterly expensive everything is. Lets start off with the good.

The hotel is amazing. The inside is very swanky without being over the top, the staff are polite and the outside gardens/pool area is beautiful. Our Riad recommend that we visit here just to see what it was like and we were blown away. I would recommend that you get the establishment you are staying in to call ahead and either book a table or tell them you are coming down as there is a strict policy about letting non guests in. I would also recommend that you dress smart to get past the bouncers on the door. While we were inside we saw some people in shorts and vests wandering around but they were staying there so it was deemed acceptable.

The downside is the price. My friend and I went to have a look around and a cocktail. The Mojito's we ordered were lovely but they were also nearly £25 each. We took our time drinking these realizing that we could dine in the market for less than £10 for the both of us. We had a look around the pool and gardens and the staff informed us that we could use the facilities for the whole day at a cost of £100 per person....eek!

This is a lovely place to go and I imagine the food to be outstanding as well as the rooms but I would recommend only spending a few hours in there. After all, Marrakech has so much more to offer the tourist.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank the427
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Hotel is one of the best places, I've ever been.
The ambiance is romantic, casually elegant, and exotic; and the staff is gracious and accommodating without being overbearing. The setting of the hotel, with its wonderful gardens and proximity to the old medina of Marrakech, is perfect.

The food is varied and delicious. We ate in the 3 restaurants there - Italian - more than delicious; had a traditional Moroccan dinner in La Marocain Restaurant, and gourme dinner at the French restaurant. We also ate in the terrace of our room with beautiful view of the gardens and surroundings. Each was exceptional.

The rooms are large, with high ceilings and wonderful balconies overlooking either the pool and gardens, or the mosque and old city. The rooms have modern fixtures, but the decor is the wonderful Moorish/art deco blend used throughout the hotel. Every detail is more than art and stays preciously there.

La Mamounia is one of the few places where I would like to come back....

Room Tip: Every room is good if it is in Mamounia...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rossitza L
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We just left Marrakech from the most vibrant trip we've had in recent memory. Beyond a fantastic culture and wild restaurant and nightlife scene, the trip was made over the top through our stay at Mamounia.

The building is stunning and the rooms incredibly well detailed. We had a small problem with the air conditioner and they upgraded us to a giant suite right away.

To this point, I have used Trip Advisor as a utility to help me search and find hotels. I've yet to contribute any reviews. The reason I am writing this is because we were aided by the top concierge I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His name is Mehdi and he so much love and passion for what he did and his magnificent city that is set the tone for our adventure.

We had been given recommendations of restaurants and things to do. He assessed our needs and what we were looking for and quickly adjusted us to the most amazing places we have been in recent memory. He welcomed us to his city and helped us dodge the typical tourist pitfalls.

I just wanted to write to let anyone know who is thinking of staying here to say hello to the concierge, Medhi and get ready for an adventure you won't soon forget.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nati A
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for 5 nights. We had an amazing suite (room 308) that left nothing to be desired. It was truly spectacular with the gorgeous tile,ceilings, balcony. Everything. The hotel pool and all of the restaurants are fantastic. The bulding and grounds are very pretty and there is even a spectacular fitness center to make up for the eating you will surely do. It made us less interested in leaving at night, to be honest, and I don't regret it. With two restaurants with Michelin stars you can't lose. Maeakkech is a sad place in comparison. You can buy a bottle of water for $.50 in the town but 10x that in the hotel. While it was an interesting city all of the US press (especially home decor lately)doesn't show that they don't even have signs up at the tourist spots to explain the extensive history. It is Mexico but decades ago perhaps. Sad to see the differences and certainly leaves you feeling disappointed that it appears they won't find a way soon to bring tourist dollars to the masses there that need it.

If you go the hotel is first rate. They hooked us up with a driver that would be ideal for just targeting places you want to go and if you can get to some of the shops that are out of the souks in that way there is incredible craftsmanship especially in leather goods. Check out the blogs with lists of great shops around the city, particularly up by the Jardin Marjorelle and in the new town Guiliez. The driver took us out to a dinner place that was good/average but the ride there was worth it all. It was like a video game in the challenge of the driving along narrow streets with people,bikes,mopeds and horses to dodge. Amazing.

La Mamounia is certainly a top hotel and if you want to explore the city for a few days it is the place to go.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Fabulously glamorous hotel. What's not to love? Fine accommodations in a lovely location.

Certainly the staff could improve - at times they are utterly uninterested in attending to you as they never stop talking to each other but guess what - you are in a fabulous hotel in a fabulous part of the world. Stop whining and simply enjoy! This is the land of the beautiful people so have some fun.

And the day spa - literally the best in the world. I wept with happiness...

Enjoy.