“Disappointing”

La Mamounia Marrakech
Ranked #77 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have been at la mamounia 3 times after the reopening of the hotel and every time is worst and worst.
Service is not attentive, people are pretentious and snobbish, my room was not well cleaned and missed towels in the bathroom.
I booked 2 connecting rooms (de luxe) with AE centurion service. All the rooms at la mamounia are connecting through balcony, hence my request is all except difficult to acheive.
They gave me the smallest rooms ever had.
Call the front desk (as centurion i am subject to upgrade) but They tell me the rooms were deluxe and hotel is full with no chance to do better.
Call AE and They tell me that have some problems with them. Once back in the hotel i have been contacted by the manager that offers me a suite....but the other room is not connecting and as my mother needs assistance, i had to refuse.
Once paid i notice that in the bill has been added the massages i took (complimentary for my status of centurion) cashier told me, sorry already paid!
That is mamounia

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank mgiornet
Write a ReviewReviews (2,109)

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We'd already booked to stay at a riad in the heart of the Medina when a friend told me about the Mamounia's Summer Bliss package. It's 1,200 dirham per person (about €110) for which you get all day use of the hotel's gorgeous indoor & outdoor pools, jacuzzi, gardens, 3 course lunch at the pool restaurant (excluding beverages), plus afternoon tea in a little palace deep in the garden.The weekend we were in Marrakech it was 47C, so we were very glad to have booked the day at La Mamounia. From the moment we entered La Mamounia's front gardens we were in another world: first we were personally guided around the hotel and shown the facilities, restaurants, bars, and our package was explained including lunch & tea times. The pool attendant settled us in sunloungers by the big outdoor pool and our summer bliss began: fabulous lunch (lunch at the pool restaurant alone rates as a Top 10 Marrakech experience) with outstanding service, interspersed with a lazy day of swimming & sunning, followed by showers in the spa, a leisurely walk through the gardens to our choice of tea and sweets in the tea palace. We ended up drinking Mojito's in Churchill's Bar (not included in Summer Bliss) looking out at Majorelle's fabulous ceiling. It was the best day we had in Marrakech and so totally worth it, If you can't stay at La Mamounia, Summer Bliss is the next best thing...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KDT15
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Maybe in years gone-by, la mamounia really was one of the best hotels in the world.
But to claim it is today, suggests the management should get out more.

Whilst the multi million refit means rooms are very comfortable, the garden beautiful, the spa attractive and the lobby impressive, the pool area would not look out of place in a bog-standard resort.

But where this hotel really shows it is not in the first division, let alone one of the best, is in the service. It's inflexible and ostentatious, and sadly rather inefficient. I tried toget some breakfast two minutes after the buffet closed - and the answer was no. I had to fight for a coffee at a table in the breakfast area!

Winston Churchill may have raved about this place more than half a century ago, but today there are far better places to stay in Marrakesh. Go and find them.

The mamounia despite its relaunch is simply past it's sell by date.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fussy-guests
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Mamounia is one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in. It is also the most expensive we have ever stayed in by a large margin. But an experience that we would repeat in a heart-beat.

When you arrive, the gates open to a beautiful garden space with a driveway leading to a doorway that is manned by a group of men in beautiful uniforms, some of which are very berber in style, which is quite unique and an impressive start to the whole experience. You are immediately offered delicious dates and almond milk as you enter a cool, richly detailed space with the sound of water in the background. After the hectic airport experience and busy city outside, your blood pressure instantly falls.

The main access of the public spaces are grand and old-style and very richly detailed with beautiful art. We did not visit the spa, but I assume it is gorgeous. There is a business center and a nice work-out facility with a small view of the garden. Wi-fi was free on our package, but we still used the business center with 3 i-macs. The concierge service is excellent. They booked us a tour of the markets; a carriage tour of the new city; a berber lunch in the desert at La Pause which was a delicious and fun experience although given the heat, we should have gone for dinner; dinners (we loved going to Comptoir Darna); and a vip pick-up service from the airport that zipped us through customs. We were initially scheduled to do the hammam, but we ran out of time. There is an ATM near the shops by the small gardens in front of the hotel, which is a nice feature and a more private way to extract money than in the main square.

We stayed in one of the 3 riad's, which are heart-stoppingly gorgeous. They feature a beautiful entry-way, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a beautiful patio and large outdoor pool and lounging area, an upstairs lounging area, 3 bedrooms and baths with large closets and another living room next to the master bedroom. Everywhere you look, there is incredible moroccan detailing. The riads are enormous and the perfect hide-away from the outside world. There is butler and housekeeping service that is friendly and helpful. I was skeptical that the riad experience could match its ridiculously expensive price tag, but it exceeded our expectations. It was over-the-top amazing.

Outside of the riad were the very large and famous Mamounia gardens. They were a total oasis of peace in the french style of gardening with long allees. The gardens are filled with palm trees, beautiful plants, birds, turtles, fish, a vegetable garden, a hidden ice cream restaurant, and water features. They were the perfect place to enjoy a shaded walk and enjoy the gorgeous light of Marrakech. When we visited it was incredibly hot (115 degrees) and it was nice to just lounge at the riad by the pool. Outside in the city of Marrakech, all was frenetic, hot, and full of people trying to sell you anything and everything. The city has incredible energy, but especially in the heat it becomes a bit over-whelming. We would go out in the evening to enjoy the square. We stayed at another excellent hotel in Marrakech as well (the Royal Mansour), and what really set Mamounia apart were the gorgeous and serene gardens.

The hotel itself is worth seeing just for the artwork and grand old style. The rich moroccan detailing everywhere you look gives the hotel a very unique sense of place. This is not a cookie-cutter hotel. The restaurants are all exceptionally good and exceptionally beautifully decorated. The serving plates and table setting are gorgeous. The service is warm and excellent. We ate at all 3 of the main restaurants, and the french one was our favorite, closely followed by the italian. The moroccan restaurant was really good, but for the price, you might prefer to eat at another excellent but cheaper moroccan restaurant in marrakech. That being said, it was a wonderful dinner and we are happy to have experienced it. All 3 restaurants feature incredible wine lists and excellent service. We did not eat by the pool, since it was so hot, but it is a gorgeous pool with a beautiful restaurant. The italian bar is airy, stylish and gorgeous and we preferred it to the Churchill bar which was a bit over-the-top in clubby red leather and leopard-print with low ceilings that felt a tiny bit claustrophobic. Both are decadently fun.

While Mamounia is expensive, so are all of the other luxury hotels in its category. Having stayed at another five star hotel inside the city wall (Royal Mansour) and talked to close friends who stayed at luxury hotels outside the city wall (Four Seasons and Aman), we feel that Mamounia was the best of all of them with the location and gardens being key selling points since I assume that the service and style of all of the others was also wonderful.

This hotel has a great location just inside the city walls. We would walk to the square in just a few minutes. It felt totally safe, other than crossing the busy streets thronged with horse carriages, bicyclists, motorcyclists, people, taxis and cars.

This hotel is a world-class place to splurge for a very special occasion. We can't wait to go back. We loved every minute of it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank sfhappycamper
Reviewed July 26, 2012

A very beautiful and grand hotel with a history. However the staff is not 5 star and this combined with a ridicolous high price results in poor value for money. The atmosphere, spa and suites (we stayed in the fabolous 85m2 Hivernage suite) are amazing. The prices are high, expect Euro 250 for lunch for 2 persons

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Per S
Reviewed July 22, 2012

When I travel I enjoy experiencing and wondering through the places I visit to get a real feeling of them. Normally, I would had never ended in a place like this, but, I had enough of the heat, caos and mainly I was exhausted of scaring away all these guys trying to sell you anything, offering their "help" or "directions", I travel alone, I am very used to it and to all sorts of ingenious ways of scamming, but it was exhausting!
So I ended here trying to escape and forget I was in Marrakech! I needed a break and just wanted to relax! Not my style, but this moroccans drive you crazy!!!
I came to the right place, extremely expensive but I guess its top spot in several best/luxury/leading hotel listings justifies, afterall that was the reason I choose it and I needed my break! Outstanding service, nice gardens (I think I enjoyed them more than the Majorelle ones), nice swimming pool, I spent most of my time there, 2 fitness centers a small one in the spa which was bit oscure for me, but with good machines and the big one in the garden which was the one I used (all for me, big and no one else using it when I did). Nice bars, good restaurants, an absolute oasis.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Barelle
Reviewed July 20, 2012

one of the best hotels iv ever been to ! exellant servise , delicious food , spacious and extra clean rooms !

Room Tip: choose the garden view rooms