“Speechless” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Geneva, Switzerland
“Speechless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

What to say, if you're looking for a glimpse of glamor, an escape into luxury and everyone being "aux petits soins" this is the place to go... if you can afford it. Granted it's expensive, but it's La Mamounia afterall. Do not miss going to the pool and jacuzzi, they are just as stunning as the rest of the hotel. Rooms are excellent and so is the bedding, breakfast/brunch diverse and rich with lots of fresh fruits and juices alongside the traditional moroccan breakfast. The tajine at le Maroc restaurant is yummy, but be ready to pay the price for eating in one of their nice alcoves. The jewel of the place though are the spa treatments you come out of with a shine and glow like I've rarely seen with the brand Maroc Maroc (pricey but I still have that glow :) ) and the cherry on top is the Serge Lutens perfume shop where I've found some rare gems that I've not seen on sale elsewhere. Overall a stunning place to spend a week end or more if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Booking with Amex services may get you an upgrade on availability in low season... I did
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bluethroat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Mamounia is a little difficult for me to review. The decor is stunningly beautiful, the restaurants are top-notch, the gardens are beautiful, the fitness center is excellent, the staff is generally great, pool is spectacular. That said, something is missing. For the outrageous nightly rate we paid, we expected a little more in terms of service, courtesy and the level of care given to guests. We did not always feel respectfully treated by the staff. Our (limited and very reasonable) requests were not always handled with care, and there was just not an "above and beyond" attitude. I expected to be completely blown away by the Mamounia, but by the end of my stay, I found myself missing the quaint little Riad that I stayed in prior to my stay at the Mamounia. I do suggest staying here at least once in a lifetime, but be sure to line your pockets with a mountain of cash, only stay for a couple of days, and do not leave the property on those days. For sightseeing and experiencing Moroccan culture, stay elsewhere. Do not miss the spa here - it is by far the best I have ever been to.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 1 bedroom/2 bath suite and it was roomy but not palatial. I think the smaller rooms w...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank benFlys
Connecticut, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 3 days in Marrakesh at the lovely Maison Arabe, and wanted to visit the Mamounia to determine whether to stay there on a future visit. We were told matter of factly at the front gate that we couldn't see the property, and we'd need to call to make an appointment if we wished to have a tour. I've travelled to 110 countries, and stay in top hotels worldwide on business, and I've never had a more negative reception anywhere. Although I'd love to enjoy this property, I would not ever consider giving them my business given the reception we received.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
25 Thank ConnecticutDad2010
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

A great simple hotel with no fancy bits which one would never use, but clean , good bar , good service, good food, good location. Clean rooms >
Yes but drinks expensive in any muslim country . Would go back def.

Room Tip: Book in advance , on the upper floors as nightclub in house does go on till v late!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I wanted to see the gardens and have a drink but were refused entry because, apparently, there is a "dress code" for non-guests.

We found it outrageous and the staff could care less.

We were considering staying there in the future, but now changed our minds.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank DebbieC1973
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is a fantastic hotel, great rooms, great public areas, excellent food but you pay a premium price for all the luxury. It's hard to find fault with the hotel part from the over the top prices, even a small beer in the Churchill bar will cost you the same as a meal in the Medina. I would love to return one day.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin H
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

Although a very beautiful hotel with well-maintained grounds and high security- that's about it. I found the rooms to be well decorated, but surprisingly small. The slow wifi internet stopped working at night and I'm quite certain the heat did too.

While on site for 3 days, my friends and I had gotten massages (although I can only describe it as an annoying rub down) by a "masseuse" that SAT DOWN during 1/2 of the "massage"!! That's right! He was in a roller chair (like you see at a doctor's office) and would roll around me to rub oil in circular motions on my body. The best way to describe the experience was extremely annoying. I couldn't wait to get out of there! Its quite possibly the WORST massage I have ever received. Did I mention he was sick and kept snorting up his snot during my "massage"? What was more disheartening is that once I brought this poor experience to management's attention- they didn't even as much as follow up. Not quite sure how they have received the high accolades they were awarded.

My friends and I spent most of our time at a near by hotel within the medina called hotel Maison de Arabe. Beautiful boutique hotel with a lovely spa and helpful staff- and less than 1/2 the price!! I plan on returning to Marrakech and booking here- you may want to consider doing the same. Good luck and safe travels.

Room Tip: I stayed in a garden view room on the first floor. Nice view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends