We couldn't find many reviews of La Marocain, the Moroccan restaurant at La Mamounia. But I checked with a Moroccan friend of mine and she said it has the most amazing food.. and amazing it was!!
The hotel itself has some impressive public spaces and a fitting aperitif before dinner should be taken at the Italian bar where there is superb live jazz. After a professionally mixed cosmopolitan, we walked into the gardens, turned left and soon arrived at the separate building that houses La Marocain. Hostesses greeted us warmly and led us to a comfortable ground floor table. The tables are in clusters of pairs in separate alcoves, which makes it all very relaxed.
The restaurant decor is divine. Traditional tiles on the floors, beautiful arches, high ceiling with 2 floors for dining, and great traditional music from a local trio (the come and play to you in your table too). Service is also good with adequate amounts of attention, and detailed explanation of the dishes.
But the food.. the food is just superb. I have eaten in many Norther African restaurants around the world, but here it's in a different league.. or on the highest stratosphere! The menu is extensive with traditional dishes (much more than the ubiquitous couscous and tagine!) and also new interpretations of old favorites. We ordered the mix starters and we tasted nearly 30 little dishes from lamb brains (sounds bizarre but is amazingly creamy), to lamb liver (tender and well spiced) to pickled raw vegetables. For the main courses, we have a poussin/baby chicken tagine that was expertly deboned and tender beyond belief, and a strange giant ravioli stuffed with lentils and chicken (think: giant dim sum dumpling but tastier!!). Portions were so large that 4 could have feasted on our meal for 2!
Prices are high high high in this restaurant but you get what you pay for: QUALITY! The wine list is peppered with delicious local wines (we drank a lovely local red that is reminiscent of a top end Pinor Noir from California). And service, music, and ambience are of the highest standards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Mamounia, a symbol of traditional Moroccan hospitality, is located in the heart of the imperial city, nestled in a 17 acre park, 5 minutes walk from the Jemaa El Fna square, La Mamounia will remain the place for worldwide celebrities. DESCRIPTION The Moroccan legendary palace has been redesigned by an internationally acclaimed designer, Jacques Garcia, combining a true Moroccan style and ambiance with new technologies. With its luxurious decorations, fabulous gardens and its trendy 2500sq m SPA, la Mamounia guarantees the amazement of its guests. ACCOMODATION 136 rooms (30 to 45 Sq m) 71 Suites including 7 Signature suites (55 to 212 Sq m) 3 Riads each with 3 bedrooms, Moroccan salons, private swimming pool, terraces... (700 Sq m) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Mamounia Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Mamounia Marrakech Hotel Marrakech
- La Mamounia Hotel Marrakech