Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Hotels.com
$398
$386
  • Pool
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
$55
Cancelon
$1,066
$1,024
3,028 results
All reviewspool arealawrence barbeautiful hotelturn down servicejunior suitereception deskpool staffspecial thanksmoroccan teaatlas mountainscrepesthe main squareconciergepoolsfarahhammocksluxury
Reviewed January 30, 2013

There are plenty of reviews for this Hotel so I will try and not repeat everything that many of the other reviews mention.

We felt the hotel looked very impressive on arrival and passing through the different areas of the hotel they are all beautifully furnished and the pool area was the best of any hotel we have staid in.

We found the vast majority of staff to be helpful, pleasant and they went out of their way to acknowledge you. Our room was nice although on arrival the electrics weren't working and it took a while to sort it out. The bed was as we have always found a Sofitel amazing and I had slept very well. If you are a light sleeper you may want to take ear plugs other wise you will be woken up early by the prayer calls from the nearby mosque.

We found the breakfast to be great with a wide variety of choice particularly fresh fruit / smoothie wise. However if you are going looking for a full english type of experience you will be disappointed (we weren't).

We felt the location of the Hotel was fine. I would describe the area it is in, as a hotel type district and there are many other 4 and 5 star hotels in the area. The district to me felt relatively new so if you are looking to experience some of the historic side of Marrakech through where you are staying, its probably not for you. It is about a 10 - 15 minute walk to the main square or there are always taxis and horse drawn carriages waiting outside. We experienced very little hassle on leaving the hotel by the main entrance. The Concierge directed us to a cafe just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel called Cafe Blatt that we found to be great for a snack.

As to why I haven't given the hotel a 5 rating? There are a couple of reasons...

Because the hotel is a 5 - star I think we went with very high expectations and these weren't quite met. For example some of the corridor, stairs and lift areas were a bit grubby. I also felt the bathroom was a bit of a let down. It was badly grouted the shower although worked fine had bits missing and the bathroom felt quite basic. All perfectly useable but for a 5 star I think we were looking for a bit more.

There were obviously some wealthy people staying at the hotel, where as for us the break was a bit of a treat therefore we found the food and drink in the Hotel to be very expensive. I fully appreciate and accept that this is what you should expect in a 5 star hotel but we felt uncomfortable paying around £6 for a can of coca cola and around £8.50 for a small beer in the bar.

In summary we enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel and our holiday in Marrakech.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Smiley-Caz
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for my husband's birthday. We stayed here in January for 5 nights. From the moment you walk in, you are welcomed by the lovely and attentive staff which give you a very warm feeling about this place. The pool area is one of the most beautiful ones that I have ever seen, the whole layout is extraordinary. The whole hotel is so clean and has a very fresh smell throughout. We stayed in a Junior Suite with a breathtaking view of the Atlas Mountains. Our suite was a good size and beautiful throughout. Everytime we got back to our room, it was always cleaned for us in the morning and in the evening. Housekeeping did a wonderful job and paid attention to every detail.

The Breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever had. Do not miss that! There is a very wide and large selection of juices, fruits, pastries, breads, cereals, egg station, the whole breakfast is just amazing!

The spa is so calm and relaxing. Definitely worth going there to spoil yourself!

A special thank you to Siham, Zidane, Ilham, Ibrahim, Farah and Fatima Zahra who made my husband's birthday even more special. Also, to Othman, the Assistant Front Office Manager, who was always willing to help us and go out of his way to make us feel welcome. The hospitality given by the staff is so wonderful and I cannot thank you enough as to how much more special you made our stay with your warm gestures and finishing touches to add to my husband's special day. I would also like to give a very big thank you from me and my husband to the Resident Manager, Antoine for his warm hospitality and everything that he done for us.

We will definitely be coming back here.

Room Tip: Junior Suite on 5th Floor with view of Atlas Mountains
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aamna_Somair
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed in January 2013 and was our first holiday overseas with our baby. If we had been nervous before hand there was no need, as the hotel were very welcoming to our young family.

The hotel staff were incredibly welcoming and made a superstar of our son from the doormen to the cleaning staff. At breakfast everyday the waiting staff made a huge fuss of him and even kept him entertained one day so we could eat our breakfast together - a very nice thoughtful touch. Once the housekeeping staff realised our baby was a boy they changed the cot bedding to be for a little boy and left extra baby products in the room, even checking what size nappy he took before leaving extras.

Breakfast everyday is fantastic - excellent large and varied selection (definitely try the moroccan pancakes with honey) all beautifully displayed and with incredibly attentive service (bringing you a basket of pastries and breads unprompted, getting smoothies made up for you etc) even when breakfast is heaving at the weekend.

The outside of the hotel and communal areas are stunning with lovely fresh floral smells wafting in from the terraces. The pool area is large and the heated pool was lovely in January. There are lots of loungers and lovely day beds next to the pool, fantastic place to hang out after your feet are tired from the souks. The bed in the room was very comfortable.

The hotel is about 15mins walk from the main square but very straight forward to walk, and if you prefer there are taxis and horse drawn carriages outside to take you to the city centre. The calm of the hotel though is a nice break after a day in the mania of Marrakech.

The negatives.............
- The price of anything outside of the room booking e.g. dinner in restaurant, room service, drinks at the bar (a coke is 50dm (c£3.50 a can ) at the pool with a beer a similar price). It is a shame as if the prices were more reasonable then you would probably order more, but we just went to the local supermarket (carrefour) instead which is about 15min walk away.
- No kettle or tea and coffee in the room (maybe this is a british thing). They did bring a kettle when we asked though.
- The air con didn't work in our room either (agreement with our tripadvisor reviews). We chose not to complain as moving rooms with a baby was too much hassle and manageable in January climate, although imagine not so in the summer heat.
- The check in process was slow, felt like a lot of paperwork to fill in. They kept insisting we had paid with an Amex card which they needed for our reservation. We don't own an Amex card and had booked through British Airways, so this was just a bit of unnecessary hassle particularly when the room had already been paid for in full.
- Concergie slightly grumpy about helping us when a trip we had booked didn't arrive as we hadn't used the hotel provider

Room Tip: If you choose pool side rooms they do overlook mountains but are noisy from the road.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 25to30
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here January 2013. The hotel looks amazing inside and out. Is is very clean and smelled lovely inside. The pool area is excellent and is relaxing. The room i was given was very large with a nice lounge. Everything i could possibly need was provided. The housekeeping again were excellent and payed attention to detail. The room had amazing views of the pool area and i could see the mountains in the distance too. On the downside the service is not great especially for a 5 star hotel. The check in took way to long and service needs improving. i expected more from a 5 star. Luckily the hotel itself is luxury.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here May 2012 with my girlfriend for 4 nights.
The hotel itself is very nice, well kept, clean and well furnished. The pool area is one of the nicest I have stayed at, with beds for sunbeds! Made some of the hotels in Vegas I've stayed at look ordinary!
The location is good for walking into the town and I would recommend doing this at night rather then eating in the hotel. The prices for drinks, food etc. in the hotel is very expensive compared to even top London hotels, but you can eat or drink in the town for a fraction of the price so as long as you are aware of this you should be ok.
We just found the staff a bit rude and unhelpful. We were supposed to stay in the newer spa part of the hotel but despite a very nice room,the air-con was not working (not much fun in 40 degree heat!). After being told it was the whole hotel that had a problem. After not sleeping for the night because of the heat we found out from other couples that they had been told the same but after complaining been moved to rooms that did have working air-con. Cue a whole day spent arguing with the unhelpful staff and 2 rooms later got a lesser room that was at least cool. A real shame that we will remember our trip by this wasted day!
The annoying thing is that I had read on trip advisor about this exact same problem from others and just dismissed it as people moaning about a one-off problem that would be fixed.
I could go on about the bad staff (having to ask more than once for everything, being ignored at breakfast, ordering drinks that didn't arrive, being accused of getting too much change when I ordered a drink, passed from staff member to staff member, slow check-in etc) but you get the picture!
Personally, if I visit Marrakech again I will try somewhere else - there are lots of nice hotels nearby that I'm sure value there guests a bit more!

Room Tip: If you don't like anything in the room, ask for another - don't take their word for it that they are full!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple