WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #124 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A good, modern hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a large, modern hotel, in the "new" part of Marrakech, well away from the hustle and bustle of the medina. It's ideal if you want to explore the fascinating life of the old city during the day but then withdraw from the chaos at night. The hotel has a large variety of facilities such as bars, restaurants, a spa, an open-air swimming pool and live entertainment. I booked a single room with breakfast and was given a spacious double room with a large built-in wardrobe, a desk, room safe and an attractive en suite bathroom. The room was clean and well kept, with reliable daily room service. Breakfast was buffet style and provided an excellent choice of pastries, bread, cheese, fruit, yoghurt and hot food such as scrambled eggs and grilled tomatoes. The location, next to the landmark railway station, makes it easy to reach and the airport buses pass the hotel and will drop you off outside. There's also a plentiful selection of local buses that travel between the railway station and the central Place Foucauld, next to Jemaa El Fna. Otherwise it's easy to get taxis. It probably takes about 30 minutes to walk to the central medina, which can be an enjoyable stroll and will help to get your bearings. The hotel is especially good for first-time visitors, who may not wish to risk booking a place within the confusing maze of streets and alleys which constitute much of the old city. Opera Plaza has the advantage of being easy to find and is very pleasant and comfortable.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out onto a busy road, opposite the Theatre Royal, and can therefore be a bit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank John M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
New Castle, Delaware, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

If you expect even average customer service, this hotel is not for you. Staff is way undertrained and their check in / recorded keeping process sucks....

If you need wifi in your room, I would choose another hotel. 100 dh for wifi for one device and make sure you get a room close to a router or it wont work.

Very Nice hotel and rooms. I was staying at another hotel and wanted to move so I found Opera plaza on a site and wanted to give it a try. When I drove to the hotel there are two Operas right next to each other so I stayed in the wrong one for the first night. However it was a better than the opera plaza. When I walked over to stay in the newer Opera Plaza, they guy told me it would be 750 a night, but he was extremly busy as there was no one there help him out. After waiting 20 minutes to make my reservation, I wrote down my information for him to do it later and left. Wehn I arrived the next day, he never made the reservation and the lady was now charging me 900 dh. I also wanted wifi in my room which meant I had to pay 100 more dh. I tried to argue my point but was getting no where, after an hour to check in I went to my room only to find out that they didn't give me the code of wifi, so I went back down stairs and got the code. Then come to find out my room was right in the middle between two routers so the signal was weak and didnt work. You would think since I request wifi in my room they would give me one as close as possible. So after another hour of arguing for a new room, I was able to get on the internet. The next day I decided to extend my stay for three days and they charged me 3,000 dh to include wifi. However when I returned that night, they did not give me wifi code and the internet guy was not there so I had no internet and spend an hour trying to figure out why when I paid for internet I did not have it. So the next evening when I returned the internet guy was there and I asked him to give me the code he said I had to pay. I explained I already paid but since I included it on my credit card they did not see the difference between room charge and wifi and therefore insist on charging me again. Then I also noted that they charged me 100 dh for the first night wifi that they expect me to pay upon check out. I argued with the manager who said I have to wait til the lady that checked me in comes back to sort it out. Like she is going to remember every detail about everyone she checked in. So as of now I am out 400 dh, because this hotel does not have a staff trained. There is one person for one task and if they are not here, than you are screwed.

Room Tip: If you want/need wifi in your room make sure you are close to a router. Plus its only good for one d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Keith M
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed for five days and four nights. Anywhere you go there is someone to serve you at your interest, very clean rooms even the towels I never had a nice smelling and soft towels in any other hotel!
Food is super from authentic Morocco Tjeen to international cosines all tasty and perfect.
the hotel is near by the train station to take you in any direction in Morocco. besides walking is a nice thing to do in the magical city city Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Khitam A A
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Modern and well laid out with very spacious comfortable areas around the lobby area - with bar and terrace leading on to pool. Wi Fi available free in public areas. Restaurant comfortable and intimate offering standard buffet breakfast and very good evening cold/hot buffet. I staid here for three nights - double room very spacious with balcony overlooking pool area; very comfortable bed . Large bathroom - a bit too much wasted space. My complaint about the room was just little niggling things like not having enough hangers or hooks in bathroom and no drawer space. I do hope the hotel does something about their key-fob system which does not function as it should, one would get to the bedroom door and be locked out and having to return to the reception to get the plastic card re activated - this went on every day and all guests seemed to be experiencing the same problem. If you are interested in modern architecture don't miss a visit to the Opera house opposite the hotel and the Marrakech Railway Railway Station on the opposite corner - stunning!. The hotel is about a 40 minute walk into the main medina of Marrakech ( very pleasant walk through some gardens) and only a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms overlooking pool seem quiet. Rooms facing front may be noisy but gret if you like...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank donclive
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This a fairly new hotel, which is well laid out and has nice bars & pool area.
The bedrooms were a good size, ours had two double beds that were very comfortable.
We were on road side which as long as doors were closed caused no noise issue. However, watching the lone policeman trying to control the mass of traffic including mopeds, donkey's, horse & carriages was entertaining, especially when pedestrians tried to cross the road.
Only negative aspect was staff at reception always seemed busy & did not speak good English so organising taxis was hit & miss.
A great way to travel back to the hotel from the main square was by horse & carriage always negotiate a good deal. They never went same way twice so good way to see the city.
Hotel was excellent value & only a short ride from airport.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Cathy W
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

i spend a few nights in there it was one of my best experiences and they have the best restaurant in morocco: Le rossini. amazing food, lovely service and wonderful set up. I would do it again with great pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank j c
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel, well situated on a busy road which leads directly into the centre of town. We stayed 3 nights on a half board basis. Our room overlooked the road, but due to triple glazing we were not troubled by noise. The room was large with comfortable beds, mini bar and large flat screened TV. Nice bathroom, with plentiful supply of rather grey towels. The bath/shower is potentially very dangerous, with a high step up to the bath and a wide surround. It required very careful management and to make matters worse the bath was slippery. A serious accident waiting to happen I suspect. Anyone with slight mobility/agility problems should avoid this hotel

Bar area was pleasant and a good selection of Morrocan wines available. The meal service for half board guests was totally chaotic and at times very stressful. There seemd to be no management and the staff were lacking in basic waiting skills and training. Shortage of cups, shortage of glasses, insufficient cutlery and slow service for every meal service. The same was true for the poolside bar. For an advertised 4* hotel their management and staff training is woeful.

Insufficient sun umbrella's around the lovely pool and one day it took me almost 45 minutes to obtain two pool towels!

A most disappointing experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple