“Long Week-end in Marrakech”
Review of Opera Plaza Hotel

Opera Plaza Hotel
Ranked #124 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Opera Plaza as part of a 4 days Feb break. We booked through Thomson's.
The hotel was having a trade dispute with some of their maintenance workers. The workers camped out the front chanted, and beat drums for the whole weekend. Despite this we we assigned the room right above the noise. Because we expected the protest to finish after the first day we did not ask to be changed.
The hotel was pleasant enough, but displayed no "what to do brochures so we had to rely on the Thomson rep. The food from the a la carte restaurents was expensive and poor. Mt wife makes better Tagine. All in all it was good to get out of the English Feb weather for the weekend and into the sunshine, but we were generally dissapointed with the service and food.
Marrakech has lots of interesting history.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool and not overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for one night in this hotel and in terms of service, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. As I explain below, we were not allowed to leave the hotel (a guard blocked the exit), because although we had paid, the dates on the booking voucher had to be updated and the hotel did not want us to leave the hotel because Travel Republic had not given us a new voucher with different dates.

There were some good points.
1. The location is opposite the train station, so if you are arriving or leaving by train, the location is good.
2. The pool area is nice.
3. The rooms are fairly nice (however see below).
4. It is a fairly inexpensive hotel.
5. Due to an extra night in Marrakech (we could not get to Fez due to snow in Paris) the hotel was able to price match for the first night the price we paid for the second night.

However these were far outweighed by some very serious failings:
1. As a minor point, we stayed on the fifth floor and the lights in the corridor were not on constant. You would exit the lift in pitch darkness and would be guided to a lit up switch about 10 metres away. In addition, the corridors in the floor we stayed in were very shabby.

2. The room we were given had a large hole in the carpet. To compound matters, the bell boy, did not seem to understand why there was an issue. However, to be fair, after a small amount of hassle, we were able to switch rooms.

3. I had called up the hotel before the stay and asked if we could use the kitchen freezer for our food and a microwave (we have a special diet and bring meals with us). The receptionist on the phone said that this is not a problem. When we arrived in the hotel, during check in I mentioned that we required the use of the freezer and a microwave and we were told by the receptionist that this is not a problem. However 30 minutes later (by now this is 10.30pm), when I came downstairs to out our food in the freezer, and after waiting for over an hour (our request had to be passed to the kitchen and the head chef), we were told that we cannot use the kitchen freezer. At 11.30pm, we were told we also cannot use the kitchen microwave to heat up some food "because we are not a business". We had a nightmare arriving to Morocco (serious delays due to snow) and we had not eaten a proper meal all day. At 11.45pm I spotted another receptionist who said that the kitchen freezer "is broken" but he was able to arrange a microwave in 5 minutes for us to use. We had to stand outside in the cold to warm up our food - despite the fact that at 11pm (and possibly later) the kitchen staff were in the hotel and were happily relaxing in the kitchen (we checked).

4. The main receptionist who we dealt with (I think he was called Jawal but I am not sure) was extremely rude. In desperation, when the receptionist told us that we cannot use the kitchen freezer (and as a result, our food would spoil), I offered to pay some money to him to help us. He said and I quote "do you think that I am an Arab and I only care about money and I only help because you give me money". In addition, he repeatedly ignored us. What was so unbelievable about this is that when I explained what had happened to the head manager the next morning, her reaction was "why did you not put the food in the freezer?". Clearly, there is a serious communication issue amongst the staff in the hotel.

5. The next morning, we were understandably very upset at the way were treated. We wanted to check out of the hotel. After waiting in the lobby for 1.5 hours to speak to the head manager, we explained what had happened and we wanted to check out. We had always planned to stay the second night and we had booked online in the UK with Travel Republic (I highly rate them). We therefore wanted the hotel to use our booking for the second night, to pay for the first night. The manager at this point was very helpful and said that is fine, but she asked us to change the dates on the booking voucher from Travel Republic. We agreed to ask Travel Republic to change the dates. We gathered our luggage and were about to exit the hotel, when the head manager said that we cannot leave because we have not changed the dates on the voucher. At this point she walked off. I explained to someone else in the management that Travel Republic are a big company and they can take a couple of days to come back with a response. I could not understand what the fuss was about because the money was paid, what difference would the dates on the voucher make anyway?!

6. I agreed with the assistant manager (or equivalent), that as a compromise, I would send an email to Travel Republic there and then and the hotel management could see me doing this. After this was done, we tried to leave but we were told that we were not allowed to leave until the head manager comes back. By now, I was getting a little annoyed, it was 12pm and my whole day was being delayed because of this circus act. I tried to leave but a GUARD MOVED TO THE FRONT DOOR AND WOULD NOT LET US LEAVE, all because there was no confirmation email from Travel Republic that the dates on the voucher can be changed. At this point we were BEING HELD PRISONER IN THE HOTEL. The hotel management were frantically trying to find the hotel manager but she could not be located. We were standing by the door and the guard would not let us leave. After about 15 minutes I said to the hotel management that I am leaving in 5 minutes, unless the head manager could be located. He agreed that in 5 minutes we could leave if the head manager could not be found. Predictably, after 5 minutes, the head manager could still not be found. I started "making a scene" in order to pressurise the management to let us out. At this point, other guests started to notice what was going on. At this point, as they had no choice, the management let us leave the hotel.

7. When the updated voucher arrived from Travel Republic, I forwarded it to the hotel. I did not receive a response, but then again I did not expect to.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank holidaymaddddd
Reviewed January 25, 2013

A very good hotel, with great breakfast, attentive staff, very good restaurants (especially the Japanese-Thai restaurant was a nice surprise and we ended up eating there twice, incredibly good value and we were waited by one of the best waiters in Morocco), free on the spot parking and a decent spa. Unlike many other places in Morocco they also had a high chair (baby chair) so we had a bit of comfort during meals. Rooms are also very big, clean and beds very comfortable, so if you are growing a bit uncomfortable after a few riad stays (we were) this will be a nice change. On request we also had a good baby bed in our room, which can be rare in Morocco.

However it is also lacking in some important details: I didn't like the custom of paying for the rooms in advance and the empty, plain fridge in the room, it gave the impression that the hotel is not trusting its guests. In addition, although the rooms were nice, many of the corridors (and public toilets) were dark, a bit neglected and still lighted by timed switches (what's wrong with photocells?) Finally, the wifi in the rooms was expensive (free wifi in the lobby and restaurants though). Overall not enough to spoil the experience, still recommended but some things can be improved.

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard-facing room for the views, the free wifi in the balcony and less noise from the c...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PromeneurSolitaire
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and highly recommend it. The location is fantastic, in between the old and the new towns of Marrakech and near to the rail station. The rooms are spacious, scrupulously clean and the staff are very helpful. There are three restaurants in the hotel. The Moroccan one worth a visit, the Thai a bit expensive (but good food) but didn't try the third. The breakfast is actually very good, a combination of continental, Moroccan and western but the latter is not ' a big English '. Make sure you visit the Renaissance Hotel - great views and good food at a good price, the Azar (Middle Eastern) and the one near to The Renaissance that is run by women. We went to The Atlas Mountains with Legendes Evasions - you get a 4 x 4 with driver at a little more money than for two people going on the tour company trip. But you choose where to go, stop and have a great lunch. When booking - Lydia 212 524 332483 is charming, her English is not as good as Philippe's (your driver).

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my family for 5 nights and we didn't liked it at all,
Rooms were full of dust windows and baths were dirty and no body knows what to do ,this hotel need a proper and experienced staff and the most important is management which this hotel hasn't got it while this is a new and in good location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Moheb11
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Really pleased with my stay at the opera plaza with the mrs. Staff really friendly and helpful treated me like one of those bloody kings you hear about on the news made me feel like a real man. I never thought a man from the slums of Manchester could be treated with so much respect and dignity it was truly eye watering. Id just like to thank the people of morocco for accepting my girlfriend and I into their country it truly was a fantastic experience which will remain with me for the rest of my days athankyou and goodnight all my love Ian martin number 3 hunch back.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank idgeym
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 24th to 31st of December and had a lovely time. We thought the hotel was good value for money and located in a safe convenient part of Marrakech, especially for first time visitors. The lobby and lounge areas were immaculate and the lounge staff in particular very friendly and helpful. The restaurants were a little overpriced and not great, but we ate out most of our stay which was much more exciting, but the breakfast that was included was perfectly adequate with plenty of choice and as much as anyone could eat. The room was very clean and plenty of space with a large bathroom. There were three lifts servicing the hotel so never a problem waiting. After a lond day sightseeing I always felt comfortable coming back here at the end of the day. We thought Marrakech was a wonderful city with lots to do and wonderful restaurants if you do your research. We particularly liked Al Fassia restaurant located in the new town not too far from the hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel for the first time traveller to Marrakech.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor so no noise from above and overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple