“A surprising gem!”

Red Hotel Marrakech
Ranked #187 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My mom and a couple of friends stayed in the hotel in the last week of September/first couple of days in October and to be honest reading some of the previous reviews we were not sure what to expect especially since it is a 3* however we were pleasantly surprised :)

The decor, feel and atmosphere of the hotel is very welcoming and modern. The staff are very friendly and polite, always have a smile and say hello! The room was facing the road and the train station but we had no problems with noise as the balcony had double doors so if we wanted some quiet we would just shut the door. The rooms were comfortable, a good size and always cleaned.

Many of the facilitates are shared with the hotel next door (which is a 4*). The hotel boasts that it has a bowling alley, spa, and club however they are located in the hotel next door. It was great knowing that we had these facilitates and the other hotel was also quite friendly. The pool area is shared so you will most likely see people you do not recognise but it is a lovely little lounge area. I would recommend the hammam, it was great and my skin was glowing!

The location of the hotel is great as we were able to go on foot to most places such as the markets. We were close enough to get to the markets to walk however not so close that it had all the hustle and bustle. There are plenty of trendy cafe's and restaurants just a short walk away offering all things continental to traditional.

I would recommend the bus tour that we did over 2 days as there was an inner city and outer city tour. It was great and convenient because it stopped straight outside the hotel.

Also - in term of the food. I had read in a previous review that vegetarian food would be hard to come by however I had no issues as those who do not eat meat or fish are well catered for! The markets in the evenings are a must, the smell of all the wonderful food and the entertainment is great!

All in all a great hotel and trip! Will definatley be back and would recommend all to stay here :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 10, 2013

A pretty new hotel, which makes it nicely clean, crisp and modern. Location is good, opposite the train station and 5-10 minutes walk to some nice shops & restaurants, and about a 25 minute walk to the medina. Breakfast buffet was more than decent too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here during the last week in September / first week of October (2013).

The hotel met all of our needs; it provided a clean, comfortable room, a lovely pool area to relax around and was within range of the major sights of the city.

We visited most places on foot and due to its location, found it really easy to navigate to and from the main sights such as Jemaa El Fna and Majorelle Gardens.

The pool area was a lovely place to relax and regroup after all the hustle and bustle of the square, and the pool itself was warm enough but nice and cooling at the same time (the missus might disagree there ;-) !).

The room was comfortable and clean (the air con was a must after a day in the heat!), and although we had a room facing the main road and train station opposite, we had no problems with sound or light keeping us awake due to the double glazing and blackout curtains.

The lounge bar next door, which was part of the hotel, was nice. Not exactly a rave, but somewhere to chill with a beer and a shisha pipe!

All in all, a good hotel with decent facilities and friendly staff. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We had a high room after hearing tips from other travellers mentioning noise from the bar, but to be...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here the first night in Morocco, was a nice hotel, good breakfast, really helpful staff but didn't feel all that Moroccan, was just what I was after at that point though, quiet night before plunging into Morocco

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Haydan T
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Also, the housekeeping staff don't respect do not disturb signs - and there aren't locks on the doors (at least of the rooms we were in) so I wouldn't stay there again - it's not what you would expect from a three star hotel. Several of the Red Hotel rooms appear to smell like sewage - the whole room, as soon as you opened the room, from the experience of our group - who had 4 rooms in total - i.e. it wasn't just one room that was a problem. We were able to be moved to different rooms - which smelt ok - when we asked - however obviously that only works if the hotel isn't very full. (The room we put in the shower still smelt bad, but only if you opened the door to the shower - so it was manageable). From the reaction of the reception staff I gather this is an ongoing issue - i.e. they weren't surprised and didn't say they'd get someone to look into it - as you might have expected. Either that or they just didn't really care- as their English was perfectly good. However, the pool is good and the location is very close to the train station - and it's all quite modern looking- but I wouldn't stay again. Also the reception area of the hotel really reeks of what I assume is a strong floral cleaning product?

Room Tip: Ask to be changed if your room smells bad!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank chantellew228
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Good value for money when I booked. Stayed 7 nights. Comments below influenced by traveling solo. My room on 5th floor overlooking train station was smart and well maintained during stay. Double doors to balcony kept it quiet. Breakfast (6.30-10.30) was okay although lacking variety which would have been good after a few days. Can be enjoyed on terrace. Evening meal option upgrade for buffet was excellent value (£35/7nights) although not used every night. Poolside shared with Opera Plaza Hotel was very good for service; good range snacks/meals (about 2 dozen items). Always felt safe with this hotel.
Other points: A bit less than 30 minute walk approx to Medina although pavement under construction (slow construction I think). From main road (not hotel), taxi 20dh to Medina but 40dh back- maybe poor bargaining by me. ATM machine immediately outside hotel entrance was handy, Money change service in sight of hotel and tourist bus stops around corner. WiFi unreliable but got access via Opera plaza. Reception and general help / information excellent- special thanks to Nordin. If I was returning to Marrakech I would seriously consider this hotel but would also have a look around at other options for value for money.

Room Tip: Having read previous comments here I was prepared to ask for room change if not happy. Did not need...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Fiona M
Reviewed September 3, 2013

New hotel, clean and good for a 3 star. A pool to refresh. Very convenient next to train and coach station. Free wifi only in entrance hall. Good enough pool area. Good pizzas served there. Check out prices! Last time I checked at the end of August prices had gone up ridiculously I thought it was an error but when I looked at single room prices it was the same ridiculous amount. I think they change prices one day to the other. It was 29th August and maybe they thought people would pay any amount!

Room Tip: It shares pool with hotel Opera. Breakfast was good at the mini garden next to pool until they told...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple