“Great hospitality”
Review of Riad Amlal

Riad Amlal
Ranked #632 of 1,168 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was greeted and made to feel extremely welcome when I first arrived. Mustapha and his staff really do go the extra mile to make sure that you feel at home. I was personally shown around and given plenty of mint tea! It was great peace of mind that they sorted out my transfers to and from the airport. All the staff were friendly and happily answered any questions I had. I felt very looked after and really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This Riad is in a great location. It's in the middle of the medina in a quiet alley only about a 15 minute walk from Place el-Fna. It's very close to other interesting places to visit. Mustpha, the owner, is great! He gave us a bunch of helpful tips for getting through Marrakech unscathed. The rooms are big but they face the main living area and have no glass windows, just shades. This meant that there wasn't much of a sound barrier between the bedrooms and the rest of the house. Since the only way we could get privacy was by closing the shades, it was sometimes hard to tell what time it was since we couldn't ever see sunlight. The air conditioning was a great feature of this place. The directions to the Riad were a little confusing so if you're not good with a map you might have a little bit of trouble finding it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I cannot rate this hostel and the guys who run it, highly enough. I was picked up from the airport which I had thankfully asked them to do as customs took forever. I actually thought no one would be waiting, but sure enough they were still there.
I loved the hostel, especially the ac. All the boys there were so friendly and helpfull and full on knowledge.
I was there during Ramadan, which is a bit hard for the guys, but they always offered us drinks and the meal they made after the final prayer.
I have kept this short, but I could write so much about my experience there.
I loved it, and I would go back for sure.

Thanks guys

Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The staff was really wonderful and accommodating. I was picked up from the airport by the hostel's shuttle and I definitely recommend that because it is a bit hard to find, especially if it is your first time in Marrakech. Mustafa was a wonderful host and I especially enjoyed nice evenings on the rooftop terrace drinking wine that he helped us track down. The rooms were pretty standard and it was nice that the bathroom was ensuite (even if it was shared with several people). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Nice hostel with funny and attentive staff. We spent there 5 amazing nights, almost each night Hicham and Amar were playing on guitar and entertaining everyone. Hostel is located in quite remote area (15 minutes from main square) which both good and bad thing. We heard that in Morocco it's hard to find cheap hostel without fleas. Luckily we found one that was clean and comfy! bathrooms were cleaned every day and there was no sign of any fleas .The only thing we didn't like was the fact that we had to change rooms as the ones we've booked were occupied. All in all I can certainly recommend this place for people without kids.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a great place to stay. We came here after taking a desert tour with Mustapha, the owner of the riad. All of the staff are so welcoming and accommodating, anything you need they will happily help you! When we arrived on the first night, Alle took us to find some cheap street food, as we were too tired to head to Djemaa el Fna and made sure the cook didn't overcharge us! The riad is about 15min walk from Djemaa el Fna and is nice and quiet - a nice break after the craziness of the square! We would definitely stay there again and will recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My room was located on the terrace and was bright, quiet and private. It was a comfortable room. The shower was good with warm water and lots of pressure. The towels were good quality.
This is a smaller riad and because of this, it had a more homey feel. The other guests staying there were friendly and it was nice to share our experiences at the end of the day. There was always mint tea offered and the hosts were very friendly. One even played the guitar as we sat in the common area in the evening.

There were a couple of downfalls that I experienced: The room and shower did not feel the cleanest but it could have been due to the finishing: cement floor and slate bathroom.
It was far from the square and the souks and it was difficult to find. It took me a few tries before I could find my way back without getting lost but I am not sure that any other riad would be easier to find in the maze of streets in the medina. It was helpful to take photos of the route so that I could find my way back. Due to its location off of the beaten path, the small streets were deserted past a certain hour, making the walk back to the riad a bit unnerving.

For the price of my stay, it was excellent value for my money but it depends on what you are looking for in an accomodation. It was not luxury, but it was a comfortable place to rest your head. For me, I enjoyed the atmosphere and I would return there again.

And the staff were very friendly.. Thank you Farid for your kindness. You went out of your way to help me and I appreciate it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo