“Lovely Hotel, Lovely Staff!”
Review of Albakech House

and 1 more site!
Albakech House
Ranked #139 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Co Durham
“Lovely Hotel, Lovely Staff!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We have just returned from a fab holiday in Marrakech and stayed at Albakech house for two weeks. We found the staff nothing but friendly, helpful and just totally lovely!

The staff - Firstly their main language is Arabic but they speak fluent French and most also speak English, I know few British people who can speak another language, let alone three! Communication was not a problem for us - and considering the hotel manager Adam is Scottish you should have no problem. The staff were all professional and friendly and we felt nothing but safe and slightly pampered! All of the staff within Albakech house made us feel welcome and added to our fantastic holiday. We were served a lovely personal breakfast everyday and would totally recommend the Moroccan tea (yum!) The breakfast fuelled us for a full day of exploring.

The Hotel - the rooms are amazing!! We had a huge room with views of the Atlas mountains. The room and the hotel itself is immaculate, decorated in true Moroccan style and had air con to cool you down after a day in the sun. When you arrive you can not help but be struck by the beauty of this hotel. The hotel is quiet and calm, and after a full day exploring Marrakech it was great to have a pool and garden area to sit and chill in. The pool is spotless and we found a day round the pool perfect to recharge our batteries ready for the next days activities. Morocco is a dry country (no booze!) so you will not find a mini bar in your room. We had read up before we left so didn't expect this. If you feel the need for booze, you are able to buy it from the large supermarket which is a two minute walk away and the hotel are quite happy to refridgerate this for you so you can have a cheeky drink or two in the hotel or the staff can point you in the direction of a restaurant that has a licence. We settled for a cool fruit juice or a large bottle of water to rehydrate!

Location - As mentioned above, the hotel is on the outskirts of the hustle and bustle which is a huge blessing! We would recommend booking the transfers with the hotel beforehand. The driver was waiting for us as we arrived at the airport and saved our tired heads from haggling with a taxi driver (or paying over the odds) Taxis are easy to find, actually they will usually find you, so getting around is easy. We walked quite a lot, you can find places of interests easily by just heading towards the minarets that tower above the other buildings in the area. There is a large mall two minutes walk away, here they have restaurants, shops and a large supermarket where you can stock up on water and suncream (or anything really) and a couple more minutes walk will take you to the Palm Plaza, a hotel where you can exchange your money.

Marrakech - I had read everything there was to read before we left to make sure I was dressed correctly and followed all the rules, once there we found it a little uneccessary. It is worth learning the arabic for hello, thank you and please - the shop keepers, taxi drivers etc are over the moon when you use their language. You do not need to wear polo necks and long trousers, but, like everywhere in the world, if you wear a boob tube and a pair of hot pants you will attract more attention than when wearing a T-shirt and a pair of longer length shorts/linen trousers. If in doubt about anything, especially places to visit, just ask the staff within the hotel, they will tell you the best places to go and best things to see and do.

Splash Morocco are also based within the hotel, they offer day trips and activity days - we can recommend this company also - Andy is the most chilled out and knowledgable guide and took us on a day trip to the mountains - fantastic!! Andy, like Adam the hotel manager is also Scottish so communication will be no problem (they also speak fluent arabic - Amazing to hear!)

We would recommend Albakech house to everyone - you WILL have a fantastic stay (we are already planning out next trip in November) and we enjoyed every second of our holiday thanks to the fab service within this gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suze_Tony82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the comments i have seen here. But it was a big mistake. First of all when i arrive in the hotel the man that was at the reception told me that there was a problem with my reservation and that i should stay 3 nights in one room and after change to another room. As i was very tired I said it was ok. And after that this man of the reception did not miss one opportunity to bother me telling that i had to change the room. Then they showed me the room i was supposed to change, and it was exactly the same as the one i was. So I told the man I could not agree to change since I have my clothes all ranged and there were no reason as the rooms were exactly the same, but the guy insisted very much that i should change and I had to be angry with him. So after bothering me for 2 days, in the most inconvenient way, he said it was ok for me to stay in my room.
A big other problem is that almost everybody in the hotel speak poor english. So it is very difficult to communicate with them.
The room is too dark because there are few lamps. There are no minibar in the room. So you can not have cold drinks in your room.
The hotel does not serve alcohol because they don't have the permission. And they also do not serve any food except breakfast.
I was traveling with two other female friends and we had 2 rooms. And that man at the reception was very strange with us. In one night when we were leaving the hotel for having dinner he asked my friend what time we were coming back. For me this is very inconvenient, because I was not at someone's house but in a hotel and i should not have to give details of what i wanted to do to the guy of the reception.
After all I had the exact feelling that this guy of the reception does not respect women and that we would not be treated like this if there was a men with us.
So if you are traveling alone or with female friends avoid this hotel and stay in a chain hotel where you will be respected.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank tatipp
, Owner at Albakech House, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
ALBAKECH HOUSE RESPONSE,

I, Mr A Dafali, owner of Albakech House would like to thank you for bringing to everyone's attention your personal grudge against the concierge. I apologise on behalf of everybody here at Albakech House that we were unable to fulfil all of your needs. Perhaps Albakech House was not the best choice of places for you to stay. If anyone would like further information on this review, do not hesitate to contact me on;

info@albakechhouse.com

Mr A Dafali
Director
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Had a great stay here in May 2012. The hotel is only a short drive away from the Medina but is a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of the centre. Very nicely decorated, cool spacious rooms and a great wee pool to plop in when the heat ramps up. I found all of the staff extremely helpful and courteous. Cracking breakfast served out by the pool each morning. All in all I found this an excellent hotel and it was fantastic value for money. Full marks!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow
Reviewed June 8, 2012

As a Scotsman I was made to feel very much at home by Adam, his family and his staff. The accomodation is of a very high standard, with a great pool. Breakfast by the pool is a must and was different each morning. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, with a shuttle car service into the medina. I would thoroughly recommend Albakech if planning a trip to Marrakech, and it's a welcome break to not be within the madness of the Medina.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Providence, RI
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Albakech is tucked out of the way in the newer section of Marrakech, but has the feel and character of an older place. Nice pool. Friendly staff. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, and unique. There were some language barriers with staff as my wife and I spoke very little French and no Arabic - but the staff did their best with English and did so in a friendly way. I would highly recommend Albakech House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed in Albakech for 9 nights in April and we had a wonderful time. The room was very clean and had fantastic decoration. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful if you needed any advice or direction. It is approx 5 mins away from the medina and we used the free shuttle service to get in and out of the centre. It was nice to get away from the hussle of the medina and relax by the pool or on our balcony. We had beautiful views of the Atlas mountains and were very near a delicious restaurant and supermarket if we needed anything extra.

A fantastic stay andwe highly reccommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Marrakech.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel/house is a cracking location if you want away from the hussle and bussle of Marrakech yet its only 5 minutes in the car to the Medina. The place is right beside a huge supermarket and the shopping centre has a food court on the top floor with all your western needs such as Pizza Hut/TGI Fridays etc.

Adam the Hotel Manager is a legend, a gent and so helpful. Took me into town one night to experience Moroccan pubs and hospitality. Was a great night.

The hotel pool is great, when we where there the temperature was like 40+ and the pool was perfect to cool off in.

The bedroom that we stayed in had a balcony and a pool view and i must say that the bed and pillows where very comforatable as well as the aircon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple