“Sit back and relax....a jewel of a hotel outside of the bustle of the Medina”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cesar Resort & Spa

Cesar Resort & Spa
Ranked #213 of 495 Hotels in Marrakech
Greenville, South Carolina
“Sit back and relax....a jewel of a hotel outside of the bustle of the Medina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

I booked a trip to Marrakesh on a whim. Truthfully, I had no idea what to expect of the city or the hotel. About 2 days prior to my arrival, I sent an e-mail through the hotel website, asking for a car from the airport and a guide for the Medina. Within 2 hours I had confirmation of both, leaving me relieved about my first trip to Morocco.

Upon entering the hotel, I was warmly greeted by Khadija, the manager of reception. She was gracious and professional. I checked in easily and was greeted with a welcome drink. The hotel lobby is inviting, a bit modern but nevertheless intimate and comfortable. I was walked through the pool area to my room, and immediately felt in heaven. The pool area was fabulous. Very relaxing with chase lounges, perfect sun and the best mix of music I have heard from Miami, LA to Sydney. I spent a couple of hours at the pool with other guests, relaxing, reading and sleeping. A welcome respite from a busy trip to Paris the days before. There is no drink service, so you do have to go to the bar for your drinks. I recommend highly the Ourika. A concoction of fruit juice, vanilla and champagne.

My room was clean. It was well furnished, a kind of modern Morrocan theme overlooking the pool. It was large by European standards and fairly normal by US. WIFI worked fine. Had CNN (if you really want to watch TV while in Morocco).

I spent most late afternoons at the Sky bar where the views are a dream and the service is a little spotty but always delivered with a smile. It is a wonderful place to quietly watch the Sunset.

I did have a hamam and a massage. Though the therapists did not speak English, this only added to the experience. I had never had a hamam so all i can tell you is that it hurt at first but my skin has never been softer. My massage was excellent.

I did two days of touring and my biggest regret was that I did not spend more time at the pool.

It is best to remember that Morocco does not have the refinement of Paris, nor the service culture of India. The wait staff could be slow, but I will wait a bit longer for a genuine smile. The reception staff was first class, especially Mohammed. Khadija could run a hotel anywhere in the world. Elegant and warm, she makes you feel special.

I will go back. One, because I left two shirts behind. Two, for the pool and music mix. Three, for Ourikas at sunset at the Skybar. It is a good respite from the Medina.

Only down side, it is about 10 minutes from the Medina and taxis are spotty. This is not the hotel's fault.

My advice, sit back, relax, don't stress, get on Moroccan time.

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank g_scott_smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
madrid
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I am right now at the hotel and i have to say that thay dont speak english at all, you can order something and seems they have undertand but you can wait hours and nothing happens. The rooms are dirty, they dont know how to wash the floor, at this kind of hotel, where all the rooms are suites, i dont know how, but i stayed in two rooms and both them were dirty. On the first one there was a croacache dead in the toilet, and they just finished the room when we walked in, even having 3 person inside cleaning...

The pool area could be cleaner, the pool was dirty and had algae inside. There is only air conditioning at the rooms, therest of the hotel is a sauna.

Of curse u cannot ask anything at the reception about the city because the seem to live in another city, they dont know the schedules or what to do, they just say go there and walk.
The quality of this hotel is 5 starts, but the service not more than 3 or 4.

• Stayed July 2012
cesarspa, Directeur général at Cesar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort after your recent stay with us and please allow me to apologize for not having met your expectations.

I’m really surprised to read your complaint about the cleanness. We have the team working all the day and rooms are cleaned twice a day. If there were a problem why didn’t you come and report it to the manager? Every time we receive feedback, we take it seriously, review it with managers and share both the negatives and positives with our employees.

If you read all our reviews you will notice that almost all our clients are very satisfied about our staff. Our staff at the reception always gives you a good advise where to go and what to see or they can book you a restaurant or an excursion if you ask for.

I assure you that I have noted all your remarks and have discussed it with our staff.

I hope to see you again in Cesar Resort & Spa.

Regards,

Cesar Resort & Spa Manager
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed there from 1st july to 6th July. It was a very nice comfy hotel. we booked via secret escapes. it was good value for money. we had a junior suite, but the room didn't feel like a suite. we had a living area. comfy bed. separate toilet. we had a shower, and no bath. there was a coffee machine for expresso, we never used it, as they did not provide any milk or sugar. the TV channel were limited to french channel except euronews and CNN. our room was next to house keeping, and we could hear some noise in the morning.
the staff were all very friendly. they spoke some english. the breakfast were quite limited, although it says breakfast buffet on booking, there was no buffet. the waittress at breakfast spoke little english. i ask her if they serve fruits at breakfast. she said only omellete, eggs and pancakes. the morroccan pancake weren't very nice. they were cold and hard. we had fried eggs with baguettes and croissant. on my last day i saw another customer having fruits. one morning, she brought us omellette instead of fried eggs.
we had lunch and dinner at the hotel . we ate at the skybar. the waiters were great and very friendly. we had a few shisha as well. it was great. food and drinks are expensive, but it was good. there is good music as well.
the pool were great. if you want to get away from heat, the inside pool at the spa was great.
our package included hamam and scrub. i been to morrocco before and used a hamman in the medina. i would not rate the hammam as i could have scrub my body better than that. the steam room was not even hot. the assistant didnt speak any english. it was all sign language. we paid for a massage. that was relaxing. nothing to write home about. had better massages in UK.
i would recommend if you want a traditional hammam and massage, go to the medina or gueliz, it will be better and half the price.
the hotel is far from the town, the taxi are rip off. u need to agree before u get in the car. we got quoted 40dh-100dh for the trip. we mostly pain 40-50dhm. there's a carrefour close by. so u can buy drinks and snack. they also have a nice ice cream parlour in the shopping complex. so its a nice relaxing walk in the evenings.
it was overall a nice relaxing stay. the staff were friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank th8nder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Excellent tiny hotel, so not crowded. the service is excellent as well as the food.

Onyl negative point is probably the music in the lobby, close to a chineese restaurant song....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lot-et-Garonne, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here for a two night weekend away. We enjoyed the welcome and must confess we were wow'd by our room (25). It had a great sitting area, fabulous little balcony and we liked the bathroom. The bed was a dream, the sheets very high quality and everything worked. The only room related disappointment was the charge made for the two little bottles of local mineral water placed on the bedside tables. Very odd for a hotel of this quality and price point. Despite the comments on here from other travellers we found the staff charming, if a little inexperienced. Most of them do find it easier to speak French and looked so relieved when we didn't just speak more loudly in English to make ourselves understood! The maitre 'd at breakfast was exceptional and did speak fluent English. He was absolutely charming. The spa is fantastic. Overall, the hotel does feel slightly unmanaged and it isn't in the most convenient location but overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank francophileonthemove
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in Feb, out of season for 9 nights. The hotel felt pretty much deserted and must have been less than half full which felt a bit eerie.

As many other people on here have said the staff were not helpful at all. I think the problem that we were English speaking and only Nadia on reception had very good language skills. I saw the French/Moroccan guests interacting much more effectively with the staff. Not that any of them were unfriendly, they all smiled and nodded but were mostly unable to do what you wanted without much gesticulating and repetition and even then you weren't guaranteed to get what you had asked for.

On the positive side:

The hotel is just as stunning as it looks in the pictures and all the facilities are excellent.

The food was very good and breakfast quickly became our favourite part of the day.

The view from the Skybar of the Atlas mountains was breathtaking and the communal areas were relaxed and nice places to chill out.

Our bedroom (Superior Room) was massive with lovely decor, clean, with a sofa area and lovely bathroom also a balcony overlooking the pool.

The hammam and goumage at the spa was definitely a refreshing experience, prepare to be stripped almost completely naked and scrubbed everywhere, and I mean everywhere!

Negatives:

We were abandoned at the airport for several hours when we arrived because our transfer had forgotten about us. When we rang the hotel they eventually arranged this but they blamed us, said we had not seen the driver, when we had walked around the arrival lounge for hours and there was clearly no one there. No apology either, I must say it was very irritating to be blamed for their mistake but their English was not sufficient to make it worth complaining.

The alcohol here is extortionately expensive, food is only slightly expensive.

Staff have no idea how to help, their English was just not good enough. I couldn't believe how difficult it was just to get a cup of tea sent to the room! Also be warned that they will look at you like you're crazy if you ask for milk with tea and then give you hot frothed milk with a bemused expression.

The same goes for the staff in the spa, was passed around with no thought for our comfort.

Hotel is a good 45min walk from town or a 10 min taxi ride. BEWARE you will get ripped off by the taxi drivers, every taxi trip was a nightmare of haggling to get a reasonable price to the extent that we would rather walk to the city which left us exhausted, or just not leave the hotel.

Last point: there were no tea making facilities in the room! Only and expresso machine that was only free for the first cup!

All in all, would not go here again, expect better service for this price!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
cesarspa, Directeur général at Cesar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Valuable guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedbacks about your visit at Cesar Resort & Spa.

Thank you very much for your good comment about the hotel.

Cesar Resort & Spa is opened since November 2011. When you arrived in February it was a low season and hotel was new on the market, so it’s normal that it was half full.

At your arrival driver was waiting for you at the custom gate but you have missed him. If you couldn’t find the driver you should call us immediately to resolve the problem.

Morocco is a Muslim country and there are very high taxes on the alcohol. We practice very good prices for all kind of alcohol drinks in our hotel. Everywhere in the world in 5* hotels a coca-cola cost you 10€ and in our hotel for this price you can have a cocktail with the alcohol. We have also very good prices for the food. Of course in the city you can find all kind of snacks where you can eat for 30 Dirham’s but we are a 5* hotel and our prices are adapted to a 5* hotel standard.

Our staff is not perfect but everybody try to be kind, polite and helpful. They always indicate you what to do during your stay, help you to book the best restaurants in the city or organize an excursion. I invite you to read all the comments and you will realize that most of the clients are very satisfied with our staff.

I hope to see you again in Cesar Resort & Spa.

Best regards
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and we really could not have had a better time. We arrived and were greeted with a delicious cocktail and fantastic customer service, which was kept up right until our last minute in the hotel.
We were shown to our room which had an incredibly comfortable large bed, great interior decoration, fresh fruit and a bottle of champagne waiting. We showered and... there was some problem with the shower as the room got flooded!! So what did they do? They apologised profusely and upgraded us to an even better room. And brought all our stuff up for us.
The facilities are just as amazing as they look in the photographs, literally. There is a small rooftop pool with a bar and restaurant which serves some top notch cocktails and outstanding food. The main pool has some very comfortable sunbeds, relaxing music playing and staff ready to help out at all times with whatever you may need. The Spa was beautifully designed and is unlike anything I have ever seen, truly magical and relaxing.
On our third day it was my girlfriend's birthday, so I asked at reception if they could help me out and set us up a table on the roof and organise a cake. The (amazing) staff had a wonderful corner table ready for us, a heart made of red and white petals and an ice bucket for the wine. The food was impeccable and at the end of the meal the smiling waiter came along with a personalised, delicious cake with candles and sang happy birthday.

I honestly could not recommend this place enough, we had an AMAZING time and would go back tomorrow. Even now actually.

Thank you Cesar Resort!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple