“Fairly average”
Review of Marrakech Bus Touristique - CLOSED

Marrakech Bus Touristique
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went on the bus tour thinking we'd get a good overview of the city but found we learnt more by just wandering round and exploring by ourselves. The staff were very friendly but the audio commentary was pretty dull and at one stop we waited for 40 minutes in the heat of the midday sun for the next bus (supposed to be every 15 minutes) which felt like a waste of precious time on our holiday. What the tour did teach us though is Marrakech is a fairly compact city so, if you are able to, it is better to explore by walking or taking short, and much cheaper, taxi rides.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We bought the two day ticket (not much more than one day) and only used one day (oh well). We only went on the red line, and it was unremarkable. I wish we would have gone one the green also, it might have made the investment worth it. Good for overview, but not awe inspiring. I did like the headphone narration rather than the loud speaker I have experienced in other cities.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The HOHO bus in Marrakech tends to get slated but look at it this way. You are not bartering with a taxi driver, not risking that once you fix a price with the cab driver, he will then shift the goalposts and charge more. That the driver will take you to his cousin's shop for the lowest priced carpets, pottery or argon oil etc.

Instead with the bus you have a choice of the Marrakech Romantique or La Palmeraie routes. The latter covers the area outside the medina with the palm covered palmeraie area in the newer, greener part of the city with golf courses.

The former covers the traditional, historical areas of Marrakech with 18 stops, including a few outside the medina which is a short walk away. When we went on the bus, we were informed our ticket included both the loops.

You can sit on the top deck and tour Marrakech in peace. You have headphones with multi language selections. The only issue I had was sometimes the sound crackled, so I did have to keep inserting the jack again which became irritating. The commentary was informative and good enough for tourists.

We got on the bus outside our hotel, we did a part loop of the old city. At the main stop we went to the Palmeraie bus and did a complete loop, before we stopped off at to see the Majorelle Gardens. The next day we had time to kill as we had a late flight back to the UK. After we checked out of the hotel, we did the complete loop of the old city and went round again at the Palmeraie.

The disadvantage of such HOHO tours is once you hop off as we did at the Majorelle Gardens, you are unlikely to wait for the next bus which will then continue the loop. Instead we got a cab back to the hotel. This tends to be a disadvantage of all HOHO buses as they are not always the best way to get to one site to another unless the stops are nearby.

Was it worth it? We thought so, we were in Marrakech for a short time and we got an overview of the city and managed to take pictures of the important sites. As our hotel was a short walk from the medina, we had explored that by foot anyhow.

3  Thank PrestonGuild
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have always found the “hop-on, hop-off (HOHO)” touristic bus to be very helpful in orienting me to a new city, therefore worth every penny. Not so the one in Marrakech. For roughly the same amount in USD as I paid for a 48-hour HOHO bus in Cape Town and Barcelona (~$25), I got much less from the Marrakech Bus Touristique. The accompanying brochure that provides descriptive information on each stop is not so descriptive, even though it is bilingual in French and English. The description for stop#13 (in the September 2012 version) is written in French, which I do not comprehend. Someone forgot to do the translation to English. Stop #1, Office de Tourisme, is a parking lot. The only thing indicating that this was a Marrakech Bus Touristique stop was a beach umbrella with the company logo and a display board.
The Historic Tour route stops at many hotels in the area as well as at the entrance to the medina. I had difficulty identifying the sites listed in the brochure or mentioned in audio to what I saw as the bus rolled on. The best thing about being on the bus was that it did keep you away from aggressive and persistent street hawkers and fake guides and it was a nice alternative to walking around in the heat.

The Oasis Tour was interesting for one round. In the Palmyrae, you see lots of camels lounging around, waiting for tourists. The camels with the palm trees in the background prove to be very picturesque, however. A second round of the Oasis Tour would probably have felt like a safari (but you only see one animal). The Oasis Tour route is geared more towards those staying in the resorts in that area. Otherwise, there was no reason to get off the bus at any of the five stops.

Overall, I have no regrets about taking the Marrakech Bus Touristique. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. I do feel however that this company has some maturing to go through before it becomes one of the “must-do” activities for a first-time visitor to Marrakech.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

People often slate these 'hop on, hop off' bus tours but we found this to be a great sense of perspective for Marrakech. Firstly there are two tours so you get to see some areas further outside the city that you might not in the first place. Secondly, it's actually a relief to sit down and watch the world go by without being pursued by salesmen, beggars and over zealous Moroccans. It's not bad value and the tickets last 24 or 48 hours. I say - go on the tour, then go back by foot or taxi or donkey or whatever takes your fancy.

1  Thank FionaLondon