“MI CASA ES TU CASA”

Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech
Ranked #167 of 294 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been told about this precious place by a close friend of mine just before leaving my country to travel through Marocco. Well, I have been very lucky because Mama Marrakech is definitely a magic place, and as a magic place it's able to attract interesting people. I really enjoyed the time i spent there with Karim, Younes, Abi and Youssef as well as all the travellers i met there in the days.

I hadn't planned my trip so much and i wanted to go to Essaouira but didn't know where, "no problem" they told me about another cool place in Esssaouira where i went for a few days, after that i missed Marrakech and the guys so bad that i didn't hesitate a second before deciding to spent a few more days with Mama. They are very friendly and willing, i found their attitude kind like MI CASA ES TU CASA, "No problem. You're my friend come when you want, leave your stuff here!".

The only negative aspect i have to admit is that in Mama you could spend more days than expected, cause it's such a good time. If you're in Marrakech just try it, chill, have fun, meet new people and you'll probably be like me... planning for a second time. :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Easily one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. I've never wanted to spend so much time chilling in one place. The hostel is spacious and comfortable, the staff were helpful and a great laugh and I met some awesome people. Truly a safe haven in the middle of a crazy city. I didn't want to leave and I don't have a bad thing to say. If you're a solo traveler, this is the place to come.

Room Tip: Sleep on the terrace!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ali M
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Friendly staff, chilled out common area. Visit was great for a large group as part of a tour, however as its a raid and can get hot, can be noisy if you aren't one of the ones socialising in the common room/area. Toilets/showers are good for Morocco budget hotel/hostels.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The dorm room we stayed in was right next to the common room and because of the heat we had to keep the window open, so all the noise from the common room was right under our ears. Some people didn't stop talking (quite loudly) even after we spoke to them and I think the staff should have intervened. We didn't ask them to, true, but still.

Other than that, the breakfast was not that great, with an omelette and some bread split between 2 people. Toilets were also not the cleanest I've seen, but at least there was hot water. The location was really good though, close to the main square.

There's a pretty good choice of riads in Marrakech, I wouldn't stay here again simply because of the noise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cristina_L123
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've stayed here twice, and both times it was exceptional - especially for the price. We slept on the roof during one of our visits, which was the most perfect experience, cooler than the main house, and idyllic waking up to the morning light and the birds. Very warm atmosphere, great people. The owner is incredibly friendly and went completely over and above board.

Room Tip: Try the roof, one of the greatest sleeping experiences of my life
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arrived here for my first night in Marrakech. Had booked an airport transfer (150MAD) in advance. There was no-one waiting for me but after calling the owner, an apologetic driver soon turned up and took me to the hostel door. I'd recommend paying the extra few pounds and I don't think I would have found it otherwise (no sign outside). Was met by the lovely Karim who signed me in, showed me a map of the area and took me to my room. I was in a 6-bed dorm which wasn't too cramped. The beds are thick mattresses on the carpeted floor. Can't speak for the sheets as it was so hot I slept on top of everything (no aircon/fan)! The showers were surprisingly warm and powerful even if the shared bathroom was a bit run down. Everyone in the common room was really friendly and was asked out to dinner in the square, which is relatively straightforward to get to. There's shisha and soft drinks available, and bringing in beers was fine. Breakfast (included) was yummy - coffee, pancakes, bread and omelettes. Overall excellent value for the £4-ish I paid. Don't expect luxury but would recommend to anyone unsure about booking a budget hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

As a group of 5 (3 girls, 2 boys) we stayed in a 5 bed dorm with ensuite on the ground floor. Beds were matresses on the floor and blankets were provided (sounds strange but the traditional Moroccan accommodation was actually quite comfortable!) Towels and lockers were also provided for free. The location was close to the main square/souks etc, but the best thing about this hostel was most definitely the breakfast! Every morning we indulged in pancakes, fruit, mint tea, eggs etc (various Moroccan dishes) all for no extra charge. We booked a trip into the Sahara through the hostel which was also very good and definitely worth doing, and despite having to leave around 6am, breakfast was still provided before our early departure! The hostel itself was a bit tricky to find initially (make sure you email ahead to arrange collection from the airport) as we made the mistake of trying to find it ourselves after being dropped off in the city by a taxi from the airport and were then conned into having a local leading us round the city for 40mins and demanding nearly £20 each from us at the end for his 'help' - we later discovered the hostel was located a meer 2 mins from where our taxi had dropped us off. Despite this, we had a great stay and absolutely loved Morocco!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends