We stayed 3 nights in a dorm. Compared to other hostels on basic facilities it rates ok- clean bathrooms, good sized rooms, lockers, friendly/helpful staff. I found the beds and pillows comfortable, and having the beds on the ground is actually part of the charm for me. Noise levels were a bit high- bring earplugs. This is unfortunately the case for all riad/dar type hostels in Morocco as it is impossible to keep the noise out with all rooms facing the centre area. Most people were asleep by midnight so wasn't a huge problem for us.
Big positives: 1. The price. By far the cheapest accommodation we had in Morocco, $5usd for a bed. Cannot get better value, especially given free mint tea and good breakfast (eggs, coffee, bread).
2. Excellent and safe location just on the border of the Medina, 10 mins walking to the Djeema square. Personally I wouldn't want to stay in the heart of the Medina as it's too hectic.
3. Great character and atmosphere. Nice place which attracts decent travelers.
Negatives: 1. security is a bit below average.. The luggage room is not locked and guests can come and go as they please. Entrance to the hostel is also lacking in security.
2. It is difficult to find first time (but this is true of most places in Moroccan Medinas), so you should definitely organise a pick up through the hostel; yes it's a bit overpriced (from the bus station it's 70 Dirham versus 40-50 Dirham for a taxi off the street), but at least they know where they're going, and after the first time you will easily remember the way yourself.
3. The dorm we stayed in had no hooks or furniture we could hang towels from. Small detail though!
Overall we would definitely stay here again, highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Description of Property and Hostel: Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech is a warm friendly place that welcomes travelers and backpackers, ages 18 and over, from all the far corners of the world. We have a tremendous amount of experience in the hospitality industry. Collectively, we are native English, French, Arabic and Spanish speakers so we can understand what travelers need during their stay in a place that may or may not be familiar. As our guest, you can relax on our beautiful garden terrace and drink free mint tea all day if you desire. If you are feeling social, mingle with other guests listening to music in our comfortable ground floor salon and even feel free to cook yourself a meal in our kitchen, using the wonderful spices you may have just gotten from the Souks. We can also help you set up the adventure of your life with day and night trips to other cities… Go to the beach for the day in Essaouira, take a hike on the trails and waterfalls in the mountains of Ourika Valley or even go camel riding and spend some time in the Sahara… After a few days of adventure, you may want to relax, come back to Mama Marrakech and sense that this hostel is your home away from home. We desire that you to feel that this experience is one you want to tell your friends about or feel safe enough to come back alone, because you are a part of our extended family! Accomodations: Three large mixed dorm rooms available: Dorm One- 5 single beds with bathroom en-suite Dorm Two- 6 single beds, Dorm Three - 6 single beds. All dorms have a bathroom a few feet away from the room and all clients have access to the bathroom and shower on the terrace. There are 3 nice European style bathrooms with hot water showers in the hostel. Prices: 120 Moroccan Dirhams per person per night for dorm 1 with 5 beds and bathroom in the room (approximately 12,50 Euros), 100 Moroccan Dirhams per person per night for dorm two and three (approximately 9,00 Euros). Private rooms are possible for groups that can fill the accommodation desired room or entire hostel. Prices can be arranged by email based on the needs of each party. ... more less