“Colorful & Cozy =)”

Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech
Ranked #169 of 295 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I highly recommend staying in Mamma Marrakech! The staff speaks (Native)English, French, & Arabic which makes for very easy communication. The Riad has a very cozy vibe to it and everyone was extremely HELPFUL. They helped us arrange for decent priced taxi back to the airport to recoup our delayed luggage, gave us great recommendations on where to eat & party (Marrakech has a great nightlife & a hipster/ rasta scene-WHO KNEW?!)
The terrace is good for relaxing and reading a book to take a break from the hustle & bustle of Plaza Jemaa el Fna a few short blocks away....

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend booking their excursions, I did the 3 day one into the Sahara and had the time of my life!! Made a ton of new friends and saw some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

GREAT find-especially for the price!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech

Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was my first experience in a Hostel and it was by far the most comfortable accomodations you could ever imagine. Immediately upon entering, I felt welcomed and at home. The bed was comfy and the bathroom clean as was the entire rest of the house. Our hosts... Crystal and Youssef were very knowledgable and helpful with any questions regarding culture, banking, dining, etc...as well as taking the best excursions to the most excquisite sites in Morocco (they have personal experience with many of the excursions). The breakfast was delicious, ready and waiting for us when we awoke and the mint tea flows all day (as did the clean towels and hot showers!). All the people staying there felt the same and I made some wonderful friends from all over the world from my week at Mama Marrakech. It's location couldn't have been more convenient as well. I felt immersed in the culture as soon as I walked out the door and was able to walk to the bank, mosque, medina, post office, souks, new town, old town, restaurants, taxis, etc...The roof terrace was especially calm and relaxing at night after a busy day of shopping and sightseeing. I highly recommend Mama Marakech to anyone traveling to Marrakech and will definately stay there again myself upon my return to Morocco.

Room Tip: One of the rooms on the first floor does have a private bathroom if that happens to be a requirement...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Hostel Riad Mama is a great place to stay!! I spend 3 nights in there with my 6 friends. We had a room only for ourselves, where we could leave our things without any doubts. The hostel itself is very nice and has it's own climate!! :) It has a great atmosphere thanks to the music, light and interior decorations in a typical maroccan style. We were offered marocan tea whenever we wanted and could also buy shisha! :) It is situated near old town, but not in a strict touristic place, so we could feel and see a little bit of the real life there :) I really reccomend this place to everyone!! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We spent four nights at Riad Mama Marrakech and it was by far the best hostel we stayed in on our journey through Spain, Portugal and Morocco. We were immediately welcomed with mint tea and Crystal told as all about the city and the hostel. Later we met Yusuf, Rachid and the other staff who were all incredibly warm, friendly and helpful. We spent much time talking to them and hanging out with the other guests in the main area, or the comfortable rooftop terrace. The whole place immediately felt like home, and everyone, both guests, owners and staff became like family.

Everything was clean and fresh, the breakfast was delicious, the atmosphere was personal, and we are all looking forward to coming back when we stop through Morocco again!

Just be aware that if you go to on a tour to the high dunes in the desert, it is about 10 hours away, and much of the time will be spent in the van. We failed to grasp just how far away it was and how windy the roads are. But there is plenty of amazing stuff to do in Marrakech and Mama's is the perfect place to stay and relax after the bustle of the city!

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I recently spent 4 nights at Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech. It is without a doubt one of the best hostels I have had the pleasure to stay in. The hostel is perfectly situated a short walk from the main square. Its location means that you are a short distance from the hustle and bustle of the city, but is discreet enough to provide a comfortable oasis and home away from home.

At Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech, I was made to feel comfortable and welcome the moment I arrived. The hostel is very clean and very safe. The staff are always around to help and have a genuine interest in helping you and making your stay as pleasant as possible.

The owners, Crystal and Yusuf are fantastic hosts. They create a relaxed and informal environment which makes everyone feel at ease straight away. Their passion and genuine interest in making your stay as pleasant as possible is evident immediately. Whether you are on a group holiday or independent traveller they will try their best to accommodate.

If you enjoy cool music, learning new card games, good conversation, meeting new people and mint tea, I would definitely recommend Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech.

P.S. The home made breakfast and coffee is amazing!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I don't think of Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech as a Hostel anymore but more like my second home. I now have a second family in gorgeous Marrakech. I cannot explain how much of an amazing time I had at Mama's.

I originally booked 7 nights with my friend to stay at Mama's and we ended up staying over 14 nights there! Mama's is in the perfect place between old and new town but you will know everything when you get there as Crystal tells you everything you will need to know.

The staff are beautiful, so kind and always smiling, they are always around to ensure your having the best time. Everywhere is clean, it smells beautiful, the beds are super comfy, the showers are lush, and there are plenty of bathrooms, so no waiting around. Breakfast is out of this world, and it was always served with a smile!

The terrace is amazing, we spent endless days up there napping and drinking tea and messing around. We spent our nights up there playing "Mama's" which is the best card game you will ever come across whilst eating Frito's and drinking the best tea that I have ever tasted.

I met so many amazing friends at Mama's because the atmosphere is so relaxed and friendly everyone is just happy and happy to socialise!

You will not meet nicer owners or staff, they did everything they could to make my stay amazing.

I wouldn't recommend anywhere else in Marrakech to stay! (I have been there over 5 times now) and I can safely say, to have a amazing life time trip, full of laughs and fun-

Mama's is the place to go!!!!!! I am returning for two months and cannot wait to see my family again.

Room Tip: Every rooms is a good room!!!!!!
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I cant begin to tell you how amazing this place is, however I will do my very best to fill you in on my experience here.
Originally booked for 7 nights at Mama's, on arrivals was given tea and told to relax while the owner Crystal told us everything we needed to no not only about the hostel but Marrakesh its self.
The hostel is clean, tidy, smells amazing has 3 bath rooms one on each floor all with showers and free hot water, free towels, the most comfortable beds with blankets and extra blankets if you would like, free breaktfast which I have to say is the nicest I ate while I was in Morocco for the 16 days I was there and its 3 courses?!?!
The staff are lovely and will do anything in there power to make you feel at home, which we did in a matter of hours.
Our original plan was to stay at Mamas for 7 nights, then travel to essauira for a week and come back to Marrakesh to a different hostel for our last remaining days. This didn't go quite to plan as we loved Mama's so much we extended our first stay to 9 days and after 3 days in Essauira came back to Mamas for a further 3 nights.
Its the little things here that really count. for example I have a little addiction to ketchup which was quickly picked up by the staff and owners, however the Riad fridge had ran out so the owners when ordering take out would always ask for a helping of ketchup and save it for me in the fridge so i could have it with my egg for breakfast every morning.. such a simple thing but so so kind and thoughtful.. Also if we were sleeping on the terrace and the staff saw we may be getting cold would cover us in blackets where we slept, the first we knew about it would be on waking up.. So sweet of them..
The riad is in a prime location situated between new and old town so both very easy to walk or catch a taxi to.
Our last 3 days at the hostel were spent mostly on the incredible terrace which is a sun trap all morning and all afternoon.
By the end of out stay we had made some great friends not only with other travellers but with the hostel staff and owners.. They are now my Moroccan family and I have even extended my round the world trip to make sure I can spend some more time at Mama's this summer, and I really can't wait!!
This is a must place to visit, I promise you will not be dissappointed..

2  Thank Clare F