All reviews mint tea el fena roof terrace exploring marrakesh an ideal location enjoy your stay three nights quiet oasis airport pick a lovely stay breakfast and dinner tucked away yogurt simo morocco riad square
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have been wanting to go to Morocco for as long as I can remember. When my friends ask me "Why Morocco?" I hesitated to answer as I knew they wouldn't fully understand how much the architecture, history, culture, and general exotic and romantic notions the thoughts of Marrakesh invoked for me. Even the word "Marrakesh" got me all a flutter. I finally decided to stop waiting on someone else to have the time, desire, or the money to travel with me and booked a last minute ticket and went to explore an idea and place I had only dreamed about. Many times when you have expectations of a destination you are disappointed that it doesn't "fit" exactly how you pictured it or your experience just doesn't quite live up to the imagined perfection...but...

When I arrived to this beautiful riad (traditional Moroccan home converted into a bed and breakfast) in the medina (old walled portion of the city) after a tiring travel day, I was amazed that this Morrocan gem left me breathless---it was EXACTLY what I was needing and wanting. The moment I walked in my bags were taken to my amazing room right off of the courtyard, I was welcomed like an old friend complete with hot tea and snack biscuits...the rich colors of the sitting room is where you also have your meals. The food was always scrumptious and very filling.

I bought too many things at the souk (market) and they immediately offered to let me keep my things in one of the staff members room until I cam back from my tour a few days later. Samira, the owner, and her wonderful staff were warm, accommodating, and obviously very loyal to their customers.

The riad is located on a quiet back street just a 5 minute walk from one of the busiest squares in Africa and the world, Djemaa el Fna. You will see snake charmers, entertainers, food stalls, etc.

I hope to return again and again to Morocco and I will ALWAYS stay here when I am in Marrakesh. Thank you to Samira, Fatima, Manuel, and Mustapha! You made my trip to Morrocco a dream come true!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

we arrived at 2am freaked out because our transfer never arrived we got lost in the medina BUT once we arrived in the riad its beautiful and manual tried very hard to make us feel comfortable and calm.
After that we fell inlove with the staff at the riad Manual, fatima, Mousaph & samira. they are all soooooo welcoming and friendly.
since we all speak english and thats it, it was great to have Manual around he felt more like a friend than anythibg else and the Riad felt like our Morocconian home.

would recommend this place to anyone :)

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Miss_Peri
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I were in two riads during my trip in Maroc. Maybe all riads are wonderful, but Princesse Du Desert was very exciting! First time because of very kind and friendly Staff, especially Samira and Mustafa. We reserve beautiful room, but Samira presented us another room with fantastic bad and interior. And Mustafa surprisingly treated us a dinner and made us very taste breakfast at 4am and helped with taxi. So people really kind here, riad is about 5 minutes walking to Jema El Fna (not 3km - it's mistake in description) square, and interior is perfect. I advice every my friends now to visit Marrakech and this Riad! Thank you, Samira and Mustafa!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oleg T
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband & I stayed at Raid du Desert for 4 nights during our 10days trip to Morocco and Raid du Desert is the best of the best~!!!!

Manuel (Manager) e-mail us a warm welcome message with walking direction (we requested) to Raid du Desert from the Bab Ksour and with his insturctions we had NO problem finding Raid even at night (arrived after 9:00PM).
Great hospitality, great location, helpful staffs with friendly smile and great breakfast.. you can not ask for more. we loved everything about Raid du Desert, especially friendly staffs (Mostapha, Fatima & Seham) We miss them already..^^*
Thank you guys~!!!
Thank you Morocco~!!!
With love from J & A Lee --- Korea

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Well, where do I start? Marrakech was a place where some said I would love and some said I would hate......but guess what.....I loved it!!! And why? Because not only did we stay in a wonderful, warm and friendly riad (Princesse du desert) but also the staff were fabulous. I am honestly not kidding when I say my friend and I feel we now have another family in Marrakech. From arriving hours later than intended and having a welcoming smile from Moustapha to having the young lads (Mounir and Simo) from Samira's other riads taking us out for a meal that same night, our holiday began from the word go, despite the tiredness and fatigue we were feeling. From then on, our 10 days flew over, with getting accustomed to the small streets (allies) and our way round the square to making friends with a lot of the stall holders (even singing Justin Beibers 'baby baby' song with the music stall holder and everyone staring!) to negotiating better deals with stall holders for presents to bring back home (we were better at bartering than the guys who live and work in Marrakech!) to enjoying the glorious weather and the laughs we had. The only negative thing are the men who don't understand the word no when you tell them you don't wish to speak to them (it doesn't stop them from staring, licking their lips and shouting things at you when you walk past!) Having said that, the guys at Riad Princesse du desert were the perfect gentlemen, especially Moustapha and Manuel, Mounir and Simo, which leads me on nicely to tell you about the most positive thing about our holiday which were the people in the Raid we stayed in. Not only were there lovely guests whom were open and firendly, one couple actually joined into our festivities one night when we were celebrating my friends birthday. But the best people by far were Fatima and Khadija, whom looked after us (didn't mind serving us lazy sods breakfast at noon!) We met other members of staff from Samira's other riads including her family (sisters and brothers and kids) whom were all so fantastic - and where we indulged in the hamam and massage and manicure and thanks to Moona, for cutting my hair! The riad itself was lovely and cosy and reminded my of a perfect arabian night. There were hours in the day when my friend and I much rather preferred to hang out with the staff in the Riad than actually going out. Round the corner from the Riad lies an excursion centre - go and speak to a guy named Thalbi - lovely guy who will give you fantastic rates for excursions - we did the Ourika Valley and Eassaoiura (seaside resort). So thank you to all the people we made our trip such fun, leaving us with great memories. Inshallah we will be back to see you all again.

Room Tip: We asked for a twin room at the last minute (my friend claims snore (which I don't!)) and they were so accommodating.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends