“Amazingly tastey food”
Review of Mai-thai - CLOSED

Mai-thai
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Maï Thaï has opened its doors just a stone’s throw from the Comptoir Darna, at the heart of the Hivernage region of Marrakech. Nestled within a magnificent villa, the exotic Asian atmosphere is immediately apparent as soon as you cross the threshold; you are instantly transported to far-off lands. Refined decor and an unusual garden provide this location with a truly authentic feel. The varied menu features the best of Asia and specially Thaï cuisine and is all made with the freshest of ingredients crafted by their talented chef. Service is discreet and attentive.
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The food was great. The Tom Yam soup was probably the best I have had outside Thailand.
My wife and some friends are vegetarian, and they still managed to really enjoy their food!

Service was also very good, and they looked after us well.

1  Thank Urvesh

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We walked past here in the day and it looked very classy and upmarket, so went in to book for that evening, and later that night it did become quite busy. Unfortunately, like all the restaurants we ate in, smoking is standard.

Bizzarely on arrival there were 2 girls in short dresses and sashes at the front desk, but it turned out they were doing a drinks promotion for Patron tequila- we were given a free shot at the end of the meal.

The waiter was very friendly and smiley and happy to take photographs for us (so it appears they took note of the previous review).
The food was very good, but as is typical of everything in Marrakech- not quite there. I have never had parsley decorating a Thai dish before! But the rest of my fish in tamarind sauce was lovely (maybe they mistook the parsley for coriander).
My boyfriends tiger prawns with garlic were tasty too. Both came with a small ramekin of steamed rice.

The chocolate pudding was, my boyfriend said, the best he had ever tasted.

The total bill (one bottle of rose wine, 2 mains and 1 dessert) came to the equivalent of £52.
After a week in Marrakech, there were only 2 decent places that we ate in and this was one of them, so I would recommend it.

1  Thank doublechoc-chip
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were staying in the Sofitel, 500yrds up the road. I asked the concierge to book for us, I was there when he called. When we got there, no booking. They handled it really badly but finally we had a table. After 5 mins we were forced to move by the most sullen faced waitress we have ever seen........for a reason I have yet to understand.

It's depressing but we have found Marrakesh service to be, on average, woeful. The customer is a hindrance - never king. This place simply re-enforced that view.

The food quality was excellent but served piecemeal and often less than warm. They also added 'extras' to the bill.

Go if you must have Thai when in Marrakesh and can't take any more Morrocan/French, otherwise don't. Just don't expect a warm welcome.

1  Thank kevster123
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Booked at 9pm went in to find 4 tables with people on rest empty, had reservations about this, greeted by non English speaking person. Best virgin mohijto, ordered food, we were given our main within 12 mins, ice cream tasted cheap, like supermarket value not from reputabale supplier. Asked for bill and it was left on our table withoutany words. Paid bill, asked if they could take photo of me and my wife to which the waitress.had to get approval. Over all ok but needs service improvements.

1  Thank JavHaque
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Il est difficile de trouver la bonne cuisine thaïe au Maroc (sauf à Marrakech tout de même où il y a 5-6 restaurants thaïs véritables). Mai Thai est un restaurant gastronomique thaï, donc le prix est un peu plus élevé. La cuisine thaïe est authentique (goût un peu modéré, prix de l'adaptation pour les occidentaux, mais reste très bon). Le cadre est magnifique. Je vous le recommande pour une occasion spéciale.