This is a small family run hostel, right in the heart of the medina. It is a stone's throw from Place Jemmaa el Fna, the souks, the museum of Marrakech / Ben Youseff Medrasa etc. It is beautifully decorated, in true Moroccan style. It is very comfortable (both the rooms and the communal areas). It is uber clean - sheets and towels were changed daily. And the staff are what really make this place so amazing - they are all so welcoming.
I was slightly hesitant initially as this is a hostel rather than hotel, and we were travelling with our young children, aged 9 and 8. However there was no need to worry at all. We were so well looked after and we felt completely safe the entire time we were away. The children were very welcome here.
We asked the hotel to arrange an airport transfer for us, but if you are making your own way here the website directions are really detailed. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon, and we were greeted with mint tea, cakes and pancakes - all of which were delicious. Nothing is too much trouble for any member of staff. They go out of their way to ensure you have a pleasant and comfortable stay.
We stayed in 2 of the private double rooms, the beds were really comfy and the shower was piping hot.
I loved the attention to detail -
1. cushions, and throws everywhere
2. coffee / tea AND herbal tea AND bottled water in each room
3. book shelf to swap reading books
4. cabinet with all sorts of bits and bobs that you could buy in the souks - spices, henna, argan oil etc
5. access to reliable tour operator
6. Tortoises on the roof top terrace!
7. games - chess / solitaire / backgammon
Top tips - if you want a henna tattoo then ask Hind (one of the staff) to do it - she is amazing. She can also cook you an evening meal if you ask in advance - she cooked us a chicken tagine and a lamb tagine and both were the best dinners that we had during our entire stay!
Thank you Team Layla Rouge !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1 Minute from Place D'Jeema el Fna in the centre of the souqs and possibly the first ever edible hostel riad. The free tea and cake – may stop you from trying to bite into the walls – or maybe not... Have a taste…Riad Layla Rouge breathes in the Mad Hatter’s tea party of colour that Marrakech conjures, and breathes out the nearby chaos – a gentler but still eccentric heartbeat. If Riad Layla Rouge could, it would cascade chocolate from the fountain in the courtyard, but the impact is truly mouth-watering nonetheless. Tea and cake, free all day – may stop you from biting into the walls – or maybe not…they may actually be edible. Only one minute from the main square, the 3 suites provide absolute privacy, the gorgeous mixed dorm encourages adventure sharing. All can enjoy the warm, communal atmosphere of the courtyard, Moroccan salon-dining room, and 2 flower and fruit tree draped roof terraces. All this enhanced by your own personal soundtrack with ipod speakers in each room. A small and perfectly formed family run riad in the centre of the souqs – Riad Layla Rouge breathes in the Mad Hatter’s tea party of colour and spices that Marrakech conjures, and breathes out the noise and craziness nearby – a gentler but still eccentric heartbeat. You cannot help but find your favourite colour here – by day Layla Rouge is a vase of flowers or a box of hand decorated chocolates, or an techni-flavour ice-cream stand; by night a treasure chest of glittering jewels, or a sparkling solar system. Use your imagination. Riad Layla Rouge wants you to get comfy in Marrakech; to feel safe and happy; imaginative and inspired – we combine a hostel spirit and atmosphere with that little bit of indulgence that you find in a luxury riad. Share your stories of travel and life. Laugh over tea and cake with other guests in our (almost) edible house. As the Mad Hatter said to Alice: ‘You could stay…What a mad, crazy, wonderful idea…’Whether you are travelling for the first time, or have done so for years – enjoy the rhythm of a city that transforms with the cycle of the sun. When you stay at Layla Rouge you can’t be anywhere else but the Wonderland of Marrakech. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Riad Layla Rouge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.