“The jewel of Marrakech”
Review of Riad Noos Noos

Riad Noos Noos
Ranked #27 of 1,172 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Riad Noos Noos will always hold a special space in my overall memory of Morocco. Romantic, magical and beautifully crafted made one feel ever so special. Perfectly located in the aromatic spice market and tucked away enough to be tranquil and exotic. Laurent's attention to detail is appreciated from the moment of arrival to departure. His interior design expertise make Riad Noos Noos an exotic pearl in all of Marrakesh. Don't miss this magical experience!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Laurent G, Propriétaire at Riad Noos Noos, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

thank you very much for your kind review. coming from someone who run herself her own guesthouse in cap town makes this review very special. I'm so glad you liked Noos Noos and I'm looking forward to visiting you in your country.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Room 4 (Suite) and had an unbelievably amazing experience. Laurent is by far the most attentive B&B host we have ever encountered, from providing us plates, utensils, cups, and cushion when we were dining on the terrace, to bringing us popcorn as we were watching a movie in the basement cinema, to surprising us with a lovely and delicious homemade Moroccan dinner.

The rooms themselves are works of art and you’ll find it very easy to stay at the riad all day long because of all the attention put into decorating and laying out each room. The terrace is beautiful during sunset and is a great place to enjoy a meal. The lobby and dining area are also spacious and comfortable. Although there is also a hammam in the riad, we did not use it, but we did use the cinema quite a bit (warning: there’s an extensive DVD collection, but most are dubbed into French).

The beds were comfortable, the sheets immaculate, and shampoo and soap were provided. Also, the in room ACs worked great. The only cons that I could really see were the floors being generally quite dusty, the lack of locks on the rooms, and all the drains being rather slow at their jobs such that you’ll be standing in a pool of water by the end of a shower.

In terms of getting around, it should take no more than 20Dh (by meter) via taxi to the main train station, but getting to the riad is trickier. The lowest we could bargain a driver was to 30Dh, but he got lost and demanded 50Dh by the time we finally got there. The main attraction in Marrakesh is the Place Jemaa El-Fna, and that should take about 10 minutes on foot.

All told, a fantastic stay, great location, and unforgettable experience. I would highly recommend Riad Noos Noos!

Room Tip: Room 4 (suite) doesn't hear the mosque as intensely as Room 9 (on the terrace)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

thank you very much for writing this complete review with heart and details. both of you have travelled quite a lot though your age, on behalf of all the riad noos noos team, we feel proud you have enjoyed our place and hope you will come again and again when you graduate.
I would say I've only done my job the best I can, but with that kind of guests, it becomes a pleasure.
So be thanked and I wish you all the best
sincerely

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Laurent, the proprietor, spent over 5 years in reconstructing this riad and it shows. 2 years alone on the intricate tiling, murals and carvings in the doorways and ceilings and a host of other details meant that visually and spacially, this riad is wonderful. Further, the teams cleanliness, its removal from the business of the souks (but still only a 10min walk if that) and Laurents service means I can do nothing but recommend this riad to all and sunder. The roof garden is stunning as well. With the beautiful Palais de Bahia a 2min walk away, what else can I say ? Brilliant stay. Thank you Laurent and your team.

Room Tip: We had room 4 which was lovely. Had a sneak peak around and room 3's ceiling is stunning.
1  Thank Mehran M
petithook, Propriétaire at Riad Noos Noos, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

thank you very much for your kindly review, it was a pleasure to welcome you at Noos Noos.
I made this riad to be my house and I live there too, so even though I had hard times building it, it was also a great period creating and furnishing it for you. I'm glad to see that we did a good job and you like it.
you're welcome anytime you want
thanks again

Reviewed August 13, 2012

A friend and I were fortunate enough to spend three nights at Riad Noos Noos, we would have stayed more, but they were already booked!
As with most Riads, they are a little tricky to find, however, Laurent was very patient in explaining the process from both the airport and the train station, and was prompt in replying to emails.  We enjoyed our beautiful terrace room with a very clean bathroom and an A/C unit in perfect working order (important in Marrakech's August heat!). Wi-fi is a little delicate up there, so make sure to know in advance if that is important to you.
Breakfast was the best of my two weeks in Morocco, and the dinner...oh my.... Definitely have a dinner there, again, The Best Kefta Tangine I had in my two weeks (plus Laurent has great local wine!)
A huge thank you to all the staff at Noos Noos, you really made our days in Marrakech special!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for staying with us. I know you're traveling a lot (you flew to china after Morocco and your friend was at Dubai before), so it's always reassuring to know that the riad is up to the standards of quality hotels worldwide, with, hopefully, a little extra touch of friendliness ...
I wish you all the best for you two
looking forward to seeing you

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Some friends and I stayed in Riad Noos Noss in August in 115 degree heat. Our rooms were beautifully decorated, comfortable and welcoming. Our first night in a loft bedroom, the upstairs was warm, simply due to heat rising, but we were relocated without having to request it on our second night. In all, with 5 of us, we experienced 5 different rooms, and all of them were wonderful. Laurent, Simon and the rest were warm and helpful, provided a delicious and filling breakfast of local items and fresh OJ, and the riad is charming and quiet--as another visitor said, an oasis of calm in the craziness of Marrakesh! My one recommendation is to call Laurent from outside the wall and have him walk you in--on first arrival it could be hard to find!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SematSeaA12
petithook, Gérant at Riad Noos Noos, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

hello and thank you for being at Riad Noos Noos!. At the time you came the riad was half empty so you were provided with different rooms to discover and we're glad that you enjoyed it. Concerning the airport shuttle and the first steps in Marrakesh you're damned right, it could be rough!
This is why we highly recommend to let us arrange an airport transfer for you ( EUR15) in an airconditioned modern car with a very friendly driver rather than having to haggle for ages to get the price you should be paying, sweating your way in a very old, banged up car and then being dropped off on a busy square and wondering around for an hour in the heat with your suitcase in the heat.... See what I mean (:-)

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Riad Noos Noos in Marrakech for days during our trip to Morocco. What you read in the reviews cannot prepare you for the wonderful home away from home Laurent and his staff provide at Noos Noos. Everyone who visits Morocco knows how unnerving the first experience can be. We arrived late at night and of course had no idea where we were, it was quite unnerving. Laurent personally met us after the taxi dropped us off and escorted us to the Riad. Tired, annoyed and hungry, we walked about 5mins to the entrance of Noos Noos. P.S. you'll never forget the mystical and ancient scents of the Spice Market you must go through to get there! Entering the Riad is like coming into an Oasis of beauty, quiet and calm. The colors, plants and decor was so well thought out, it just takes you your breath away. The rooftop garden was surreal, beautifully done. The staff was warm, kind and very attentive. Breakfast and meals were served with love and a smile - you felt as if you were with family. Riad Noos Noos also has a Hamman spa in-house - you must try it! When we return to Morocco, we'll definitely stay with Laurent again. During our stay we opted to have dinner as opposed to going out, what a fantastic dining experience. The food and company was amazing. Nothing was missed here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

I've just come back from Casablanca today and found your nice review on Tripadvisor, and I would like to thank you very much for that.
It was so good reading that you enjoyed your staying as much as we had the pleasure to welcome you.
looking forward to seeing you again

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Riad Noos Noos in Marrakech for 4 days during a 10 day trip to Morocco. Laurent, Simon, and the staff went far above any expectations we had, even after reading other reviews. I ended up spending a lot of time in the riad, after getting a bit sick, and they were beyond kind and considerate, providing remedies, food, and support the whole time. We were there as Ramadan started and they continued to serve breakfast and provide the same high level of service (and kindness) as they were fasting.

Room
We stayed in a room on the terrace/roof (2nd floor). It was large, clean, with a gorgeous private bathroom. The air conditioning was powerful and quiet (outside, it got to 48 C / 118 F). The beautiful terrace provided privacy and some nice places to sit out during the day and evening. Each day, the bed was made and the room cleaned. After long days walking around the city, coming back to a spotless riad and room was a joy. I can even report after staying in the room for a full day, it still felt comfortable.

Riad
This place is beautiful. On the ground floor is a small pool (fits 3-4 people sitting) and sitting area where breakfast and dinner are served. There are plenty of couches, chairs, and tables. Sometimes music is playing and there are birds flying in and out. There is a small hammam, library, and computer room. In the basement is a larger movie room with about 2000 DVDs (don't ask where they came from) and a flatscreen TV. Wifi is strong throughout - there are Apple routers and access points all over (though it was a bit weak on the terrace). As I mentioned, the entire staff are so kind and helpful. It initially was a bit tough communicating without much French but we all got along ok.

Breakfast is served throughout the morning with local pastries, traditional pancakes, bread, jam, yogurt, cheese, OJ and coffee. They also had bottles of water on hand in case you didn't pick some up elsewhere. I'd recommend doing dinner in the riad. For a very reasonable price, they serve up the best tasting traditional Moroccan meal around, with some unique items here and there. As vegetarians, getting something a bit different than the usual couscous and veggie tagine was well needed.

They also helped schedule (and reschedule) a day trip to the Ourika Valley. Just a phone call, got us set up with someone to take us around out for a break from the hectic city. Unfortunately, we eventually had to cancel due to me being sick, but Laurent was helpful and the whole way through. We'll have to try again next time.

Location
The riad is very well located. It's on a small street/alleyway near Palais Bahia and the spice market (in the Jewish quarter, Mallach). A cab can drop you off at Palais Bahia or the nearby square and it's a short walk there. I'd recommend looking at a map to see where the paths converge since it's definitely confusing, like any old city.

One added touch is that there's a man who hangs out in front of the riad, usually wearing the Riad Noos Noos hat. He's there to make sure no one bothers guests and as a landmark so you know you're in the right place. The area is completely safe, this just makes it more obvious.

It is about a 10 minute walk to the main square, Jma el Fna, and the bordering souks. We really liked walking around the area and not staying so close to the square. Each morning we walked through the spice market and were able to find our way pretty quickly. Cabs, cafes, restaurants, pastry shops, grocery store, pharmacy, and all the sights are well within walking distance. We even walked to the new city in about 30 minutes.

There seem to be so many good riad options and I am so happy we chose Noos Noos. If you're reading this, thank you so much!!

Room Tip: The two rooms on the terrace provide more privacy but involve more steps going up.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Major4th
petithook, Propriétaire at Riad Noos Noos, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

thank you very much for that amazing review everybody there can be proud of.
on behalf of our team (Fatima, Khadija, Jamila and Si Mo), I tell you how grateful we are and we wish to see you another time here, in better shape, so we can travel to the Ourika Valley at last...
take care