“Recent visit to Pickalbatross Aqua Fun Club”

LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech
Ranked #122 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a 3 night break at this hotel. I have to say how impressed we were with the cleanliness, quality, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, and the lovely location. We are not swimmers so the cold pools were not a problem, but they looked inviting and I imagine in the warmer weather would be great for all ages. There are two indoor pools anyway. There is also a gift shop which we found was cheaper than the souks and not nearly as exhausting and they were willing to bend a little in the price. There has been mention of cats roaming around. We saw two, and yes they do come into the restaurant and bars, but if you do not like cats there are other places to escape to. They are sweet little things and did not cause a nuisance to anyone we saw. The food is varied and plentiful and what a treat to be able to just ask for any drink and not have to pay ! Well not directly anyway. Its a good idea if you have a family and need to budget. We had a taster in the spa and that was as good as anything I have encountered in this country and much cheaper. There is a free shuttle bus twice a day from the hotel, and with the personal guided tours we booked (not through the hotel) collected us from the hotel, we learnt loads about Marrakech and it was a treat to have our own chauffeur. There is a wicker shop opposite where you can pick up a bargain too.
So I would really recommend staying here, - you can always find something to pick at, but overall we were really pleased with our stay there, and would certainly go again.

Room Tip: We had a balcony overlooking an olive grove and the snow capped Atlas mountains which was great. Th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank 44,447,777

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Just returned from short break with my friends to this hotel. We had a lovely time. Very quiet during the month of February - only one restaurant open. Food was very nice, if a bit repetitive (but it didn't really other us because we were there for three nights). The spa was very nice but be warned the massages and Hamman are done with very little clothing on so don't sign up if you are shy! Room was nice, spacious and clean. Only a couple of slides were open but again didnt bother us because the water was just above freezing so we were never going to get in anyway! The alcohol included was very nice - local beer wine and spirits all very drinkable! Can imagine it would be very busy and not as relaxing in the summer months but probably a good place to take a young family - slides catering for all shapes, sizes and ages. Children's playground and crazy golf too. I enjoyed this break/hotel. I lay in the sun, chatted with my friends, read my book and drank beer/wine. Perfect location for this during the month of February!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed here for a short break for our anniversary. It was out of season for them and we took our chances with the weather and at the time we went (beginning of February) the weather got warmer by the day.

The hotel was beautiful, just a half hour transfer, and our room was so spacious and clean. We received service to the room every day. The grounds were superb with stunning views over the Atlas mountains. At this time of year, we couldn't have got in the pool without bouncing off it, it was so cold! But then it's only just starting to warm up there, so the Sun hasn't had a chance to work it's magic in the water.

The restaurant was large and not overcrowded with a good selection of well cooked and good quality food.

There was almost a major panic event one night when they run out of white wine, and then gin, and none could be found in any of the bars, which we thought was quite odd, as white wine is very popular. Many, many people were moaning about it, and will probably put it on here as an issue but, hey, stuff happens.

All in all, the grounds and the hotel were spot on ... didn't think much of outside though, with people walking their sheep on the road side! Seriously, the area immediately outside of those walls was depressing, so we stayed in!

Staff were a mix of surly and go-out-of-their-way friendly!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol R
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Travelled here with friends for 3days, had such a brilliant time. Hotel is very lovely , staffs are very accommodating & friendly .. Always having a smile on their faces & always willing to help. Room was very clean & moderate size with basic necessities . The entertainment team was fantastic always providing interactive all round fun activities to enhance a good trip . Well done to the team Nina, Medo ,Hassan & Yousuf continue to do & create the brilliant service you do . Overall a well spent time .. Will be coming back soon:-).

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed at the Aqua Fun Hotel in June/July 2013 this is not a 5 star hotel possible 3 star at most ,

When we arrived we were inform by the front desk to pay tourist tax for our stay !! (beware !!),
The hotel was clean and the rooms was cleaned every day with fresh towels,
The food at lunch was the same every day Fresh pizza, hamburgers & chips, the evening meal only changed a few times with local Moroccan food dishes,
Good choice of alcoholic drinks, can beers etc.
The evening entrainment is not very good mostly in French, a kids disco until about 10pm that's about it, the entrainment staff work very hard during the day and evening,
The free bus to Marrakech is very good, but book it the day before you want to go as it is very popular,
This hotel is in the middle of nowhere so nothing out side the hotel...
When we was just about to book out of the hotel the front desk wanted more tourist tax because they made a mistake when we arrived and become very rude, you are unable to leave the hotel unless you pay the extra tourist tax, there are no signs on the front desk about tourist tax so beware and take extra money for 2 weeks it work out about £100 ....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank PLH10
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed at the Aqua Fun Club last week for three nights. We went for some chill out time and it was as we expected and we had a really good time. The rooms were very spacious and clean. Food also as expected - quite a lot of variety and edible but not very exciting - there was a Moroccan corner but again not very exciting and I had been led to believe that Moroccan food was very tasty and different. I'm not complaining because as I say we were only there for three nights but I think I would have been very bored with it had we stayed longer. The bars were very nice and with a good choice of alcohol - we had as many cocktails as we wanted and nothing was too much trouble for most of the staff - there was just one member of bar staff that wasn't very friendly. Reception staff were friendly. The entertainment staff were very good and tried to involve guests in activities each day.

My only complaint is directed at the Spa. They had no towels or gowns. Apparently the towels were in the wash!!!!! Don't know where the robes were they just said they didn't have any. I had to go to my room to bring my towel for use after the sauna and Jacuzzi and then I went on to have a Hamman and had to use my wet towel there. It was freezing in there. The following day I went for a full body massage and a facial - again no robes but they did find a towel and it was still freezing in there. Not the pampering session I was hoping for - it took me a while to thaw out afterwards. The music was not quite the relaxing music you expect in a Spa.

I have to say though that it was all very good value (even the freezing Spa was cheap compared to home - not that I would rush to go back there for a pampering session) as I did not in the slightest feel pampered. Very disappointing so far as that was concerned.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel, for me and my partner did not live up to its 5* reputation for many reasons. Below I'll briefly outline advantages / disadvantages of our holiday.

Advantages:
- Big spacious resort (great for pictures and walks)
- Clean Swimming pools indoor & outdoor.
- All Inclusive drinks; Good choice of alcoholic cocktails & hot drinks, Bottles of water everyday to takeaway on request, All of the drinks still had their 'fizz' unlike ones in the markets that tasted flat.
- A Choice of two restaurants both equally spacious and welcoming.
- Good choice of food
- Waiters / Waitresses in the restaurants maintained a welcoming smile with quick hospitality
- Great cleanliness of the rooms every day, the hotel was well maintained for also.
- Good markets to browse for all things Moroccan!
- In the 'new town' there was a lot of familiar stores such as Zaara, Monsoon and Louis Vuitton also familiar places to eat such as Pizza Hut, Mcdonalds and KFC.
- The spa was brilliant, the staff who work there really make your visit comfortable and relaxing. The spa offer many treatments such as facials, massages and pedicures which they take their time with as opposed to it being rushed and not made to feel like a relaxing experience.

Disadvantages:
- The staff speak little English which is an inconvenience when trying to ask questions or present a complaint.
- There is only Wi-Fi in the lobby area of the hotel
- Not much entertainment in the hotel for guests
- They allow cats to roam around in one particular restaurant in the hotel (pizza pino) without shooing them out. This irritated me, my partner and many other guests staying at the hotel. Also some guests thought it would be acceptable to feed the cats so they would keep coming back. For me, having an allergy to cats this was not something I was content with and many times I found myself walking out of the dinning area because none of the kitchen staff would attempt to do anything about it until guests would literally have to ask them to remove the cats out of the dinning area.
- There was good choice in food however it was near enough the same lunch and dinner every day maybe just a different type chicken or fish. There was no change in the breakfasts, each morning you would find it was the same thing. Desserts were limited and there was hardly any choice.
- The hotel have a shuttle bus each day which takes you to the markets. The problem with this was you was encouraged to put your name down on the list a day in advance however if you was not clear about what times you told the staff at reception then it was clear you would miss your shuttle.
There was around 200 guests at the hotel during our stay yet only 28 seats available on ONE shuttle. This was a major inconvenience.
- When the weather is bad, there is not much to do in the hotel.
- The hotel offers a variety of water slides for guests, however there is no safety whilst on the water slides. One would think the life guards working on the slides would try and make sure the guests were safe.
In one particular incident; normally the heavier of the two would sit on the back of the inflated boat used to go down the slides however the life guard in charge of the slide had told my partner who was clearly taller than me and a lot bigger due to his muscular frame than me to sit in the front which did have me a little baffled but as you do, you'd trust the life guard thinking he know's what he's doing. Wrong decision. As the boat was sliding down the water slides it was great fun until we realised because the heavier person was at the front there was no balance in the boat so the boat literally turned over in such a haste that we tumbled out of the boat and painfully bashed our heads on the side of the slide which was rather painful. Once we made our way down the slide slowly we complained and even then it wasn't taken that seriously.
Those slides are quiet dangerous for kids.
- The life guards who work around the pool are quiet perverted. One in particular would often make sneaky comments whilst my partner wasn't there which would make me feel uncomfortable and not at all willing to stay by the pool.
- The marble on the floors in the hotel resort are very slippery. Although they look pretty they are quiet dangerous to walk on especially after one or two drinks.
- Addressing the situation before about the cats, some guests would take the cats back into their 'hotel room' therefore they'd be in the elevators, in the room lobby and on the stairs of the hotel rooms. Major disadvantage.
- Expensive phone calls if made at reception area
- No shops in walking distance outside of the hotel
- No where to go in walking distance in surroundings of the hotel, your almost barricaded into
the complex