“Wonderful three day family trek”

Trekking in Morocco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are Local Trekking Opertaor based in the Atlas Mountain.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We absolutely loved our three day trek in the High Atlas, with our guide Mohammed, and our two muleteers Mohammed and Hassan (and the mules who the children named Chiara and Zohan.) Mohammed the guide was a star - friendly, knowledgeable, experienced, caring and lovely with us and the children. The whole trek was extremely well organised by Mohamed (different from our guide), and we were collected from the airport in Marrakech without any problems, and brought to a guest house near Imlil for our first night before the trek. The trek was designed with our family in mind, and as we have relatively young children (7, 12 and 14) it was tailored to suit our abilities. Our youngest often rode on one of the mules, or was carried by the muleteers. The mountain scenery was beautiful, and the little Berber villages we passed through were fascinating. We had absolutely delicious hot cooked lunches each day of the trek, and equally delicious dinners at the guest houses, which were basic but very clean and nice. It was a truly wonderful start to our holiday in Morocco, and we would highly recommend this company!

1  Thank TheSueBird
There are newer reviews for Trekking in Morocco

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My daughters and I had booked the 8 day camel trek and the communication with Mohammed throughout our planning period was excellent. We met him in Marakesh as we had some concerns as to whether we had booked the correct trip as the temperature had really spiked on our arrival. He was very good and offered us the Atlas mountain trek or the coastal trek but we decided to go ahead with the desert. Unfortunately we found the temperatures incredibly hot when we got to the Sahara and people coming back from trekking were reporting temperatures of 40degrees. The upshot was that we ended up doing a couple of day trips out plus one overnight. The hot conditions were in fact compounded by two days of very strong winds/sand storms where people
were being evacuated!

Despite our unfortunate experience with the weather we had a good time and Mohammed's team of staff did everything to make our stay comfortAble and pleasant. We are three vegetarians and the choice of food was excellent and very imaginative.

We were probably pretty unlucky with our situation and would certainly consider a retry with the same company but would go earlier in the year when it would be cooler.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was supposed to be my first mountain trekking experience and, going in late February, my first winter trekking too. When I was let down at the last minute by another company I was delighted when I managed to get hold of Mohamed and he arranged everything for me on a days notice.

Having been collected by a driver, organised by Mohamed, in Marrakech, i was greeted by Mohamed himself in Imlil. Then, after arranging for me the technical equipment I needed (i had winter clothes with me but not the crampons and ice axe), he sent me on my way with my guide.

The walk to the refuge is beautiful and moderately challenging for someone of good fitness. On arrival at the refuge i was greeted by welcome tea, biscuits and food and then provided dinner in the evening too. Delicious and all included in the price. At this time of year the refuge was just on the limit of the snow and i was very glad for a decent sleeping bag

We set off early the next morning and within a few hours were at the summit. And it was here that the crampons and axe proved their worth. Though the axe was not essential on my trip i would highly recommend it for security and reassurance. By midday we were back down at the shelter and another meal waiting for me (all included in the price), and then off down the mountain to Imlil where, again, we were met by Mohamed before jumping in a taxi (again, included in the price) back to Marrakech.

The trip was amazing and i would recommend it to anyone. However even as a relatively fit, healthy individual it was relatively challenging (mostly due to the snow climbing) so be prepared for some decent walking. But i did complete it with no previous experience.

On top of everything above, having managed to leave my camera at the refuge, Mohamed went out his way to have it tracked down then returned to my hostel 2 hours away in Marrakech were i collected it on my return from further travels. My sincerest thanks and appreciation go out to Mohamed for everything he did and going that extra step to help me out.

A great trip that will stay with me. Thank you Mohamed

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were looking to do a trek to the Toubkal peak, but as we were going in March, it would have meant icepicks and crampons, so it was suggested a four day village trek would be suitable. This turned out to be really enjoyable, with the two of us, our guide Omar, chef Mohammed and mule Tess trekking up and down the various valleys, seeing some great views and eating some wonderful food Mohammed cooked. The accommodation was basic (to be expected!) but there were hot showers available on two of the three days and we were made to feel welcome wherever we stayed.

Walking 5-6 hours a day does mean you need to be quite fit, but the views - including a stunning waterfall - were worth the effort and we were well informed of the areas by Omar, who was a good laugh throughout. Most of the terrain was moderate with a bit of distance covered on dirt tracks/roads which was a nice break from the mountain routes.

Definately a recommended experience.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I did the Imlil Day Trek. Our guide, Hassan, was wonderful. He picked us up at our hotel in Marrakech promptly, gave us explanations of local sights and culture on our drive out, and almost had us running during the hike on Mt. Toubkal -- which included hiking through a two local villages. Hassan spoke good English, was very knowledgeable, and was able to answer all our questions on Morocco and Arab and Berber culture. We had a very gourmet lunch below Mt. Toubkal that included tagine and an elaborate salad.