“Nice dinner in beautiful riad”
Review of Pepe Nero

Pepe Nero
Ranked #39 of 953 Restaurants in Marrakech
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: PEPE NERO Restaurant Marrakech : A place of flavours on motion where the senses are constantly coddled Khalid and his team represent the same soul of a single ingredient: Excellence. This where I devote myself body and soul to my passion: cooking We strive to always be precise in our gestures, attentive to the oven, skilled with knives, a sharpened sense of smell, an eye to the market, intransigent with the quality of ingredients and demanding in the kitchen.The battle I fight every day with my team is the oldest in the world:That between the hand and fire.We created the sort of restaurant we would like to find ourselves..Pepe Nero was born to engage and satisfy our passion : Taste, without any constraints or formalisms, with simplicity.But not only. We believe that there has been a generational change in customers who are rather apprehensive of locations that are over formal.With this new role we want to clear away taboos and bring haute cuisine into step with the times.
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Located in a beautiful riad, Pepe Nero offers 2 menus, one Moroccan cuisine and one Italian options. My family opted for the Italian dishes (you can mix and match if you like) and felt the food was delicious. The riad is a stunning riad, worth going to the restaurant just to see the inside of this riad.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,831)

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Like a lot of people who have been to Pepe Nero we went on its position and most reviews on TA.
Once you have got yourself passed the gauntlet of begging kids that obviously have a plan of action by hanging about in the dark tiny alley leading to the restaurant you enter a stunning inner courtyard with a tropical rectangular pool. Unfortunately as somebody else said you get whisked very quickly passed this area to another square courtyard that is attractive but not a patch on the one before.
We arrived at 8:30pm and have to say the table reserved for me was as requested by email right by the fountain and small pool.
The restaurant at this time was about half full and had a lovely ambience except however for the rather dodgy music that was totally out of sync with the theme of the restaurant. Whoever put this selection together needs to understand that you can't put a selection of opera, Elvis, Perry Como, one after the other in a very strange eclectic way.
Anyway we decided to go for the Morrocan menu that bucked the trend of what everyone else was having as we hadn't really experienced this as of yet since arriving in Marrakesh.
The starters were your typical meze range of dips, ok nothing spectacular, followed by a Tagines of Lamb and Chicken.
The Lamb was mouthwatering tender and beautifully flavoured as was the chicken but just felt it was lacking a side dish of couscous or flat breads.
We're then presented with nice anniversary cake that rounded the evening of nicely and also don't want to forget the complimentary Buck's Fizz and Amuse Bouche offered at the beginning of the evening. We also had a nice bottle of Rose and Sparkling Water.
The service was good, not in your face like others have said, but always on hand when needed and the breaks between the courses perfect. Having said that later on in the evening when the restaurant became full the service did seem to become a little stretched for the staff and could some people leaving due to lack of attention, so my advice would be to book not to late.
The bill was the surprise, for all of that including service it came to £56.00 which I thought was pretty reasonable for what we had and in the type of restaurant it was.
However I did leave feeling that it could have been so much better and that it's position on TA was slightly over elevated. Would I return again, probably not, but we did have a nice evening on the whole.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Since this was the last meal on my wife's birthday trip, I wanted it to be special so I booked in advance to secure a nice table. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our table in the Moorish court next to the fountain and given the sumptuous menu. Pepe Nero specialises in boith Italian and Moroccan cuisine and, not quite having yet had our fill of tagine, we both opted for the latter despite the Italian choices being very tempting.

Following on from a delicous range of Moroccan salads to start, my wife had mechoui lamb and I had lamb tagine with chick peas. Both were superb - hearty, wholesome and filling with that terrific range of aromatic smells and flavours so typical of Moroccan dishes - all washed down with an excellent bottle of Moroccan red. Almost defeated, we were planning on missing out on dessert but at that point the lights went down and the infamous happy birthday tune started up and my mortified wife was presented with a delicious birthday cake. It was just right - light and delicious and probably the only thing that we could have managed by that stage!

The service was brilliant throughout and the staff seemed genuinely delighted to have us as their guests. The surroundings in the restaurant also deserve one last mention too - the entrance, with its picturesque pool, and the Moorish court with its trees and fountain, are perfect settings for a romantic meal and it was the best end to our holiday that we could have hoped for.

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Went here on the last evening of our holiday having eaten in the places in Marrakech during the week. We felt this place was a bit of a let down, it was a pretty entrance but I think that was the best bit really. Our white wine was served at room temperature (the waiter told us it was warm!) A good menu selection bit I felt the food was average ( I had a starter from the morrocan menu and a main from the Italian) the waiters topped up our drinks constantly to the point where it was irritating.

I get that it is a nice change having had morrocan food all week but I felt that it is way too expensive for what it is and they are relying on their reputation for business, by the end of the evening it was reminding me of a tacky dated restaurant in the UK.

It was by no means awful, but if you'd planning a special meal I think there are far nicer places to go in the city.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

great ambiance - wonderfull staff
and the food was delicious
would come back for certain
we entered trough the kitchen - what was funny - our receptionist was our guide to this restaurant
and he knew a short way