“Best meal out in Marrakech”
Review of Pepe Nero

Pepe Nero
Ranked #23 of 916 Restaurants in Marrakech
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: PEPE NERO Restaurant Marrakech : A place of flavours on motion where the senses are constantly coddled Khalid and his team represent the same soul of a single ingredient: Excellence. This where I devote myself body and soul to my passion: cooking We strive to always be precise in our gestures, attentive to the oven, skilled with knives, a sharpened sense of smell, an eye to the market, intransigent with the quality of ingredients and demanding in the kitchen.The battle I fight every day with my team is the oldest in the world:That between the hand and fire.We created the sort of restaurant we would like to find ourselves..Pepe Nero was born to engage and satisfy our passion : Taste, without any constraints or formalisms, with simplicity.But not only. We believe that there has been a generational change in customers who are rather apprehensive of locations that are over formal.With this new role we want to clear away taboos and bring haute cuisine into step with the times.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went to Pepe Nero having perused the reviews. It was easier to find following the signs than we expected. The offer of a guide was really helpful, but we ddn't need it. The setting was amazing, and the welcome glass of prosecco gratefully received. I had the Moroccan salads and lamb and my husband the salmon carpaccio and John Dory. While we weren't convinced the salmon was carpaccio all the food was wonderful. No room for puddings though. I'd come back here!

1  Thank Fiona M

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Upon arrival at Pepe Nero, the interior is very impressive but from then on we were disappointed. We waited 10 minutes to be greeted and when taken to our table we were not seated in the courtyard as was specified on our confirmation. The starter of Moroccan salad was quite nice, however the main of lamb tagine was very underwhelming with little flavour, and not what we had expected of such a highly rated restaurant. Whilst dining at this restaurant, we found it very off putting that they were telling several customers that they had got the wrong reservation time which clearly wasn't right. The experience then finished with having to wait 20-30 minutes after asking for the bill. Overall, a dissapointment.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The restaurant is set in a Riad, and is stunning, as well as being very popular. We dropped in without a reservation at around 7:30pm, and they were fully booked. Fortunately they fitted us in, as long as we could leave by 9:30, which suited us anyway.

We only wanted a main course, yet they still provided us with complimentary champagne, amuse bouche and some petit fours.

The food was excellent.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

When you are italian and you re living abroad your last choice for dining is going for an italian restaurant. Usually italian way of cooking deserves too many original products not easy to find abroad and so experience is ruling on this issue. When I've received the suggestion of Pepe Nero from usual gourmand suspects I was a bit surprised but then I've discovered the warm atmosphere of this ancient riad at the Medina and I have been immediately enchanted: candles and soft lightning arent rare in Marrakech but the colonial twist of Pepe Nero is unique. Then the food is surprisingly tasty and original italian recipes are enriched with local flavour. Go for risotto with schrimps and capesante and then epaule d'agneau with aubergines.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Highly recommend!

The staff was wonderful and very friendly and did not rush us along but let us stay for as long as we wanted. The riad it is in is beautiful and the staff will give you a tour if you ask. The food was amazing and not outrageously expensive either.