“Adil's 4 X 4 camel tours to the Atlas mountains”

4X4 Camel - Private Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide private tour around Marrakech or further afield in a comfortable Land Cruiser. We specialise in giving our customers an insight to the Moroccan culture with also beautiful scenery as backdrop. We tailored our trips according to each customers but a day in the Atlas Mountains more often include a discovery of a local Berber village farmer market, experiencing a camel ride on a semi arid plateau , a visit to a women argan oil cooperative, and sharing lunch in an authentic Berber family house on a terrace overlooking the Atlas Mountains. This is often describe as the best meal people had during their trip to Morocco. Our aim is for travellers to benefit from and unique experience and it is also to share this experience and its benefit with the local villages we regularly stopped. We also encourage people to bring with them pencils, school furniture, clothes or just sweets to give in the villages. We hope this information inspire you to join us for a day If you need any detailed itinerary or prices please email us. We are looking forward to meet you and welcome you to Morocco.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Romford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Adil's 4 X 4 camel tours to the Atlas mountains”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just got back from Morocco and what a lovely country to visit. Booked a trip with Adil to the Atlas mountains. So glad we booked it up with him as it was the best trip ever. Adil picked us up first thing and then we went to a local Berber market. This I thought was the best bit about the trip as I did not know what to expect. Did not get hassled as there were only locals shopping so no souvenir in the market. There were cattle being sold, spices being sold and absolutely anything being sold!! Also men being shaved (it was equivalent to a barber in the market). No women around. We then went to the Argan Oil Corporation where the pure argan oil is made. Went mad and bought loads. Spent quite a bit in there although the bottles of argan oil are big and you know its the real stuff. After went to a lovely Berber house in the Atlas mountains where we were made to feel at home. They were lovely and fed us really well. We struggled to eat everything. The trip round the Atlas mountains were lovely. Definately worth booking with Adil as he speaks perfect English and what a host.

1 Thank Lisa B B
adil M, Owner at 4X4 Camel - Private Day Tours, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Many thanks for taking time to write about 4x4 Camel , and thanks for supporting the local communities by visiting the market and the argan oil cooperative. We hope to see you on another visit to Marrakech . Best regards.

• Greek first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“FABULOUS! Highlight of our trip to Marrakech.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked with Adil to take a day trip into the Atlas Mountains. Adil's response to our emails was quick and efficient. By our request, Adil met us the morning of our tour in a location near our Riad which was easy for both of us.

Our first stop was the Berber Market which was absolutely amazing to walk though. Very real experience and obviously not a typical tourist stop as I felt we were the only tourists passing through. This was a great eye opener to start the day. Adil was very informative and explained all about the Berber Market while we were there.

Second stop was for the camel ride! We stopped on our way heading into the mountains. I was pleased that the camels appeared very healthy and were very well taken care of. Our guide took us privately on a 20-25 minute walk and stopped half way and took some great pictures of us with an amazing view behind.

Next we visited the Argan Oil Cooperative. This was very interesting. Adil walked inside with us and introduced us to one of the women who spoke wonderful English. She explained the entire process of how the Argan Oil is made and we were allowed to take pictures freely. After the educational portion we were allowed to browse in the shop and also we were also able to taste the oils and try the lotions and scents. There was absolutely no pressure to buy anything. The women were very friendly.

My favorite part of the trip was lunch. We stopped in a small Berber Vilage where a very generous family cooked us a fabulous lunch. My favorite meal during our entire stay in Marrakech! A tomato salad with bread for appetizer, Tagine Chicken and Vegetables and Couscous for main course, Honey Melon and Mint tea for dessert. It was absolutely delicious, not to mention that the view from the terrace of the mountians was completely stunning. We were allowed to look around the home and felt very comfortable there.

All along the way, we stopped many other times to take pictures of the beautiful scenery. Adil explained to us all about the culture and the different areas of the mountains. We enjoyed every stop!

Another very exciting part of our day was the children. Before we even arrived to Marrakech Adil told us we would have the opportunity to give gifts to the children if we would like. We packed: pencils, paper, lollipops and candy. during our stops in the mountains (even out in the middle of what seemed like nowhere) children would run to see us. It was very heartwarming to give them the little gifts and see the excited expressions on their faces. My only regret is that we hadn't packed more. I loved giving them away :)

We were comfortable all day and enjoyed Adil's company very much. I definitely recommend the 4X4 Camel to everyone. This was the perfect experience to get a taste of the Berber Culture and a nice break from the city. Thank you Adil for making our trip to Marrakech a memorable one!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Vicki M
adil M, Owner at 4X4 Camel - Private Day Tours, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Many thanks for such a detailed and kind review. Thanks also for including photos this does help fellow travellers to choose and plan their holidays . Glad you did so much in one day with 4x4 Camel and thank you for supporting the Berber families and voting the meal at the local house as the best of your trip . Best regards.
“Adil's 4x4 camel tours to Atlas Mountains - a must for anyone visiting Marrakech!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had read a lot about Adil's tours to the Atlas Mountains. I decided to arrange a trip before arriving in Marrakech but unfortunately Adil was busy. However He did arrange a day trip with another wonderful guide - Aziz.

We visited a Berber market and a place where Argon oil is made. We were then driven through the Atlas Mountains and were treated to some stunning views. We also had a fabulous lunch provided by a lovely Berber family in their own house.

All in all it was a wonderful day out and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Marrakech.

Visited August 2013
Many thanks for your recommendation and to take time to write a review . Glad you had a wonderful day with 4x4 camel and see you again on another visit . Best regards.
Brooklyn, New York
“Great day trip with Aziz!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My friend and I did a day trip to three valleys (Ourika, Asni, etc.) with a camel ride, trip to an argan oil cooperative, and ride up the mountain to a Berber village. Aziz was a fabulous guide - he was funny, informative, and kind. I can't recommend this tour enough!

Visited August 2013
Many thanks for posting a review . Hopefully see you or your New York friends on a future visit to Morocco . Best regards.
Taipei, Taiwan
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Wonderful guide and visit to Berber village”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked this tour after seeing rave reviews on Trip Advisor. The owner, Adil is amazing. From the moment I contacted him via email he was helpful and genuinely interested in our trip to Morocco.

We booked for just my husband and myself, but since we were visiting during the end of Ramadan Adil asked if we would combine the tour with another couple. No problem- and it cut the cost by half.

This tour is intended to be a unique experience for each person who books. You will visit the Argo cooperative, ride a camel, drink mint tea, visit some popular and beautiful valleys and go into a local Berber village for lunch. We went to the Asni valley as well as the Ourika valley- both beautiful. On the way to the Berber village we drove on an amazing dirt track that took us high above the valley which provided great views of the towns below. The track was something that I cannot see other tours doing, and for me, this was the most unique portion of the trip.

Adil asks that you bring something for the children in the village- school supplies, gently used clothing, etc. I stocked up on school supplies before travelling and was so glad I did. The children know the rout Adil takes and they come from miles around to see what his guests have brought them. One thing to note- bring many small items that can be distributed individually- think one colored pencil/one piece of paper/one set of stickers per child. There are so many who come out- I had no idea! We met about 60 children along the way- so be prepared for this with your gifts. They really do need clothing as well, but of course this can be difficult when travelling with weight restrictions. There are many boys who were desperate for soccer balls and items like this- wish I had known in advance as I would have been happy to buy some before leaving.

Adil himself is a great tour guide and very knowledgeable. He was happy to chat with us and answer our questions for the entire day about anything we could dream up to ask. It's great having a local guide who can give you information that you would not find elsewhere. He is also very invested in the local community and I was impressed to hear about all he has done for the village- with his help the woman who cooks the local Berber meal has been able to purchase a fridge. Once you see the village you will know how much of a big deal this is. He also knew so many things about the people we saw along the way. He knew what some children were studying in school, who liked to paint pictures, and what medication some children were taken (which he himself purchases from time to time and delivers). What an amazing man. his intentions were wonderful and his interactions and concerns for the locals were commendable.

The Argon cooperative is interesting, but we knew in advance that we were not interested in purchasing anything. We spent out time on the terrace enjoying the scenery. The mini-tour is nice, and the women there speak great English and are very informative. You get to taste a bit of the oil and some other items as well as try lotions and such made with the Argon nut. There is no pressure to buy at all.

The tour was supposed to include a stop at a local market, which I was really looking forward to, but due to Ramadan, the market was closed. No one's fault.

The camel ride is 10 Euros- it is what we expected...geared towards tourists and short. You basically hop on a camel, then get lead in a line for a short walk. I imagines sand dunes and a longer ride, but this wasn't that. You do get really great photos and the guide is more than happy to stop as many times as you need to shoot pictures for you. When you are done you can pet and visit with the camels for a decent amount of time- they had the sweetest baby so we took tons of pictures with him.

We stopped for mint tea which was nice as it was along the river in the valley, but the bees were so persistent that we were unable to drink the tea. Instead we ended up with a cupful of drowned bees.....we were unable to get away from them, so we just went on a short walk instead.

In the village you will eat with a local family- we really enjoyed this. The terrace you eat on is serene and the view of the village is very pretty. The food she provided was great- best couscous we had on the trip by a long shot. The meal included more food than we could eat between the 4 of us, so come hungry! This visit also cost 10 Euro and in my opinion, it was well worth the cost. For the effort she put into the meal it was a great deal.

I was satisfied with the tour, but in my opinion the price is high (150 Euro for the car) and we did visit many places that the major tour companies were going to. We were really looking for a 100% unique, off the beaten path, tour. I imagine that if my husband and I had gone with only the two of us that we might have gotten more of a unique experience. While we did enjoy the day, it felt touristy still and we stopped at the same places as everyone else from the other companies.

1 Thank phoenixwan
Many thanks for such a comprehensive review . Not much too add to your comments as it is so detailed. I am glad you had a unique day with 4x4 Camel and don’t hesitate to contact us if you visit Morocco again .Best regards.