“If you can't change the world change the decor...”
Review of Riad Khol

Riad Khol
Ranked #185 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2014

An amazing riad in terms of atmosphere and decoration. The terrace is gorgeous. However they need to make better restaurant recommendations - we followed trip advice and didn't book their suggestion in email, but after a bad journey there, were in desperate need of a nice meal. Instead we were taken to a horrible tourist place that cost a fortune. Shame, as their motto 'You can't change the world but you can change the decor' suits them perfectly, if they were perfect people too....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Riad Khol

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Riad Khol is in the heart of Sidi Ben Slimane, in Medina and is a quirky walk to the place if I ever experienced one! But don't let this fool you, it's good to be away from the hustle & bustle in Medina, but not too far. The hotel is a quick and easy 15 minute walk from Jemaa el-Fnaa (aka, the old town main square) where there is a myriad of things to do (shopping + eating mainly!) and as such, the location was great.

The Riad itself is very well done and I was very happy with my suite. There were plenty of toiletries and things like bottled water (complimentary). So while it felt like I got the traditional Riad experience, I was also very comfortable. I have to say though the service I received was fantastic. They arranged a taxi pick up from the airport for me, met me outside and took all my stuff for me. Everyone was really friendly! Mustafa was particularly helpful - calling me taxis, arranging tours, letting me call him at stupid o'clock to let me in when I was partying all night, even walking me to the local ATM so I didn't get lost! I had continental-style brekkie served up when I was ready too.

Overall, the Riad was great, but the service made the stay for me (doesn't it always) and it was just a generally pleasant stay (thanks to Lily as well!). Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Fleur d'Oranger suite all the way...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Diran G
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Myself and my wife to be we're extremely pleased with our booking here. The staff were fantastic and soo helpful. The whole place was spotless and the cleaning staff were soo good, I wanted to take them home! Would highly recommend!! A very quint and romantic setting.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luke-and-Alice-C10
Reviewed September 29, 2013

we recently stayed here for three nights whilst we visited the Souk in Marakesh. The room was well appointed and very clean , the breakfast was very French with croissants , baguette , fresh fruit salad and yougurt and either mint tea or coffee . Excellent location as very close to the Souk, walking distance , although you wouldn't know that you were close as it is so quiet in the Riad. Very helpful and friendly staff , especially Mustafa. Would definately return and highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Josette W
Reviewed September 1, 2013

A beautifully done-up riad in a superb location run, it would seem, wholly for the benefit of its owners and lowering, resentful staff. Paying customers would seem to be an unwanted encumbrance and are certainly not made to feel welcome. Every possible element of hospitality was missing. We arrived at nine in the morning (fresh from the train) to leave our bags and were told our rooms would not be ready until 1430. Fair enough, I suppose. As it transpirred they were scarcely ready by 1500, though. Every single subsequent request was too much trouble. But yeah, the decor's fab. Hope the owners get a lot of enjoyment from it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our final night in Morocco was spent here, a stunning riad in the northern part of the medina. The room was great and very comfortable and the rest of the house was traditional and beautiful. On arrival, make sure you know exactly where you are going - I had taken an iphone screen capture of google maps which had it slightly in the wrong place so we had the classic situation of two travellers with giant suitcases trawling through the millions of tiny narrow little streets (which are incredible if you know where you're going, a bit of a nightmare if you don't!) being lead by two small boys to the riad. We weren't sure if they were taking us on a wild goose chase but when we arrived at the front door of the riad 5 minutes later, I could have kissed them!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicki d
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This Riad is right in the medina which is exactly what we wanted. It took us a few walks out to get our bearings - thankfully my husband has a built-in sat nav. I wouldn't recommend this for women travelling without men (I know this is the age of equality), but it's just how I feel. The room was nice, but the decor was very dark and so it felt a little claustrophobic. The staff were very friendly though and breakfast was delicious and served in the courtyards or roof terraces - the choice was up to you. I wouldn't recommend this to those travelling with young children - i'd recommend staying outside of the medina in one of the hotels with larger grounds and a big swimming pool. Marrakech is a fabulous place to visit and completely crazy. This was my second visit and my husband's third. Previously we'd stayed in Le Meridien N'Fis (2006) and this was a great location with large pool and within walking distance of medina. The main square is unmissable and take the plunge and eat at one of the food stalls at night. YSL gardens definitely worth a visit, go early when it's quieter. Get a driver to take you to the waterfalls and the Ourika valley. Walk everywhere in the Medina and take in the sights and sounds. If you love photography you will love this place. Buy the following books before you go: Hg2 Marrakech, Marrackech Select (insight guides) and Shopping in Marrakech by susan Simon. My favourite dish is pigeon pastilla. The hotel called Jardins de la Koutoubia not far from the main square has a great Indian restaurant. Also La Trattoria di Giancarlo in Gueliz has one of the most romantic settings where you eat at tables around a pool with floating candles.

Be aware that most people out in the streets will offer to help you and want to sell you something. Embrace it, be aware of this and work out whether you actually need their help. Plan your trip before you leave the hotel so you have an idea of where you want to go. If you get lost, find somewhere to have a drink and look at your map. I never felt unsafe, but you can get hassled. However, everyone there is mainly just trying to make a living. Have coins at hand and try and relax. We were escorted by one man who just appeared at our side one day - we went along with it as it was our first day and it helped us find our bearings. He took us to plenty of shops where if we bought he was probably going to get a cut. There was however, no pressure.

Unlike another reviewer the wifi worked fine when we were there. It was definitely not noisy in this hotel, very quiet even with its medina location. For us the walk to the square was not very far and didn't take long at all, but I guess this depends how fast you walk!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple