“fantastic staying in Marrakesh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Granvilier

Riad Granvilier
Ranked #600 of 1,177 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
“fantastic staying in Marrakesh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had a very pleasent stay at Riad Grandvilier which is a place where you feel like home. Icham and the entire staff are very warm and nice and the structure is quiet and with all the comforts. Food is great. what you want more?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Northern Sealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and were happy.

The place is very small - only 5 rooms, renovated just 2 years ago.

The riad is located in the medina, 5min walk from the main square and easy to find once you have been showed the way. The receptionist met us at the sqare and walked with us to show the way. After this it was very easy to find it - we only had to remember 1 turn to take.

When you walk to this riad, you walk through local families living there. At no time we felt unsafe. Even at night there are lights, and local people did not show much interest to us.

While the place itself is good, but not exceptional (I have no idea how they can obtain 5 stars without the pool and restaurant - restaurant is only on demand if you prebook dinner), but what they win on is SERVICE. You are "home safe" at this place, if you should need any assistance. If you don't, probably this place is as good as many others with great reviews.

When I say service - it's all those extra small things:
- very good english speaking skills (quite a difference from many other riads)
- meeting us at the main square upon arrival and showing us the way
- extra breakfast on arrival before check-in, because our flight from home destination left very very early morning. It was so nice to start Marocco experience with a full stomach instead of searching for a coffee shop.
- and especially, since one of us had gotten stomach problems, those people were very kind and offered us their assistance (boiled rice on request at NO charge, gave us yoghurt at NO charge, brought us drinks on request and only afterwards we had to take care of payment).
- in general, everything went smooth and easy here.

The internet was fine, but in the reception area only (cosy to sit there, no worries).

Upstairs they have a great roof terrace! Both beach beds and a cosy corner for book reading or just hanging out with other guests (if you meet any - afterall this place only has 5 rooms).

Both Hicham (day time receptionist) and Mustafa (night time receptionist) were very kind and helpfull.

Breakfast was fine - youghurt, white bread with butter and cheese, panckakes with 4 different jams and different fruits from day to day. Good (and free) minth tea at any convenient time on request.

A little downpart of this place is that they do not accept credit cards, so you have to walk to touristed areas, cash money at the machines, pay withdrawal charge of course and get back to the riad.

So all in all - nice place, and here you are "home safe", if you should need any assistance during your stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you want to experience the real Medina of Marrakech you must stay at this Riad! We had a beautiful suite in the heart of the Medina, but what made it so special was the incredible staff! Everyhting was perfect, from the airport pick up, to greeting us at the Medina to walk us to our hotel, the room was impeccable, the dinner and wait staff were fabulous! The staff were so attentive, they booked our tours, gave us advice on sights, restaurants it was a stress free vacation because of the staff! I would recommend this Riad to everyone, my husband and I travel all over the world, and this place is at the top of our list, our only regret our vacation was to short, we are planning on going back and visiting the desert and of course staying at our favourite Riad!

Room Tip: Dont be afraid in staying in the Medina, this was the best decision about our vacation, we got to ex...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fligh
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the Riad Granvilier for three nights with a friend. We highly recommend this hidden gem, the perfect antidote to the chaos of the medina. The riad is tranquil and very stylish, the staff are all extremely welcoming and helpful and went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable. The receptionist/manager was very charming and professional, he provided information re bars, restaurants and booked our appointments at the spa-which was an amazing experience. We had a wonderful minibreak and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was in Marrakech for a week and during the trip was staying at Riad Granvilier. I was happy with my choice of hotel, the Riad is wonderful! The service is very good, the decor is beautiful!
I recommend to everyone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Taylor S
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have to completely disagree with the review written below. I traveled to Morocco on my own between October 27th & November 2nd, after lots & lots of research I decided to book myself six nights at Riad Granvillier. On arrival in Marrakech I was met by a driver who took me all the way to to the square. I was then met by the wonderfully charming Hicham who took me on a little tour of the square pointing out landmarks so I could find my way back to the riad & also generously treating me to an Orange Juice! On first impressions I was blown away by the sheer beauty of the riad, the refurbishment has been completed to very high standards. For instance there is an orange tree in the middle of the courtyard & the roof terrace is simply stunning.

I opted for a Moroccan meal on my first night, all I can say is WOW, 5 stunning courses for an unbelievable €22. The beef tagine, chicken, vegetable & cous cous dish was amazing. Throughout the meal the hospitality of the owner Simone & her right hand man Hicham was second to none, always asking if the food was good, keeping my wine glass topped up. I really couldn't have asked for a better start to my first night in Morocco.

On my second day I was served a traditional Moroccan breakfast, lots of bread, cheeses, crepes, freshly squeezed OJ, coffee & the best yogurt I have ever tasted. This was a great start to the day. After breakfast Hicham spent at least half an hour with me, going through a map of Marrakech & telling me where to visit & how to find my way around etc. This was a great help & it meant that I got the most out of my time in Marrakech. He also recommended places to eat etc later in my visit which also was a great help. At times Hicham felt like my own personal tour guide & i feel extremely grateful to him for the care & attention he showed, it helped make a rather nervous first time visitor feel settled...

The standard of my room was first class, lots of nice toiletries & fluffy towels, the most amazing shower & a TV with English language stations. I was on the ground floor, if I were to visit again I would prefer to have a first or second floor room as at times I did experience noise from the kitchen & other diners. I didn't let this detract from the enjoyment of my visit though.

I never had any problems with the location of the riad nor any difficulties in finding it. I walked down the alley several times at night on my own & never once felt threatened, in fact it is a residential area & the locals I encountered were friendly & welcoming. As far as I am aware it is quite common for riads in Morocco not to display their names, I really don't see this as an issue. On several occasions upon returning quite late at night, the owner Simone would invite me to share a glass of wine or a beer with her. This was really quite charming & made me feel more like a friend than a guest, such a contrast to the level of service we get in the UK in corporate hotels. Simone also allowed me to use her own personal Laptop when I was having issues with a bank card. I have never felt more welcome anywhere in my life & I really appreciate everyone's efforts to communicate with me in English.

I do agree that it is slightly annoying that credit cards aren't accepted however in my experience it is pretty common in Morocco. I was advised in e-mails prior to my visit & upon arrival that payment would be by cash only & Hicham helpfully came with me to an ATM as I felt a little worried about withdrawing such a large sum of cash on my own.

Overall I had a fantastic stay at this riad and I would not hesitate to return. It really is a special place with wonderful staff who do all they can to make you feel welcome & get the most out of your time in Morocco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank BetterCallSaul76
Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Riad is pretty but we had a bad experince there. The Riad advertised that it took a family booking and we opted for this. But as it turned out we had to take two rooms and the priced doubled. There was no opportuntity to get out of this as it was too late to book an alternative.

Our trouble didn't end there. The Riad managment would not accept a credit card payment even though they pretented at first that this was possible. They said the preferred cash but CC was feasible too. Actually it wasn't and I suspect there is something funny going on here as when the booking arrangment was made over the internet, CC was deemed acceptable.

We even offered to pay a premium for the convenience of this so that the Riad wouldn't be out of pocket. But they would not accommodate us and the manager himself became very rude and threatening. A disgrace. We were "escorted" to an ATM - a long distance away AT night to facilitate this strange set up. Very poor. Greedy IMHO.

This Riad was our only negative experience after a wonderful week in Morocco. I also noted that the Riad has no name over it's doorway. Very strange and odd. Lastly it is located down a very long dark lane. While this is not unusual in the Medina, this particular location one of the less salubrious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family