WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Les Jardins de Bala

Les Jardins de Bala
Ranked #133 of 788 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West MIdlands
“Food tasted great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to this Indian restaurant one evening during our week in Marakkesh. They initially tried to seat us very close to another couple, as the tables are very close together in parts of this restaurant but I asked to be seated somewhere more private so we waited a while for a better table. The menu is not very comprehensive but we both found things we liked. The meal portions are very small conpaired to the UK; we ended up ordering more side dishes when the curries arrived because they were so small. A bottle of wine is averagely £15-20 in all of the nicer restaurants and hotels. The local beer is quite good and much cheaper that branded ones, bu you need to ask for " local beer " when ordering. The meal cost us £60.00 which included 2 starters, 2 mains and side dishes and a bottle of wine.

• Visited April 2013

• Arabic first
shropshire
“Nothing to complain about”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

There are mixed reviews but in our opinion, there is nothing to complain about here.

The food, whilst not excellent was very nice and the service and surroundings very pleasant.

Will be going again.

Visited March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Overpriced fake indian food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited this evening after getting a recommendation from the reception staff at our hotel. We had a party of 7; 2 children and 5 adults. 4 English Indians (my wife, two kids and I), and 3 German friends).
The location is lovely, with great views of the Mosque and a courtyard pool setting on the ground floor. The restaurant is located on the the top floor. Unfortunately the location is the only positive.

The food experience was pretty poor from the outset- the poppadoms were delivered with no chutney or achar, when I asked the waitress for this she looked irritated I had even asked- she remained pretty disinterested throughout the meal.

The lussi drinks were coloured Orange for some strange reason and tasted artificial. The shish kebabs were the driest I have ever had, the onion bhajis were actually more like onion rings, the chicken satay my friend ordered was burnt and dry. The dhal was not cooked fully and had improperly cooked spices (hing/asafoetida should be fried, not added raw at the end). I ordered chicken dopiaza, and got your typical chicken in nondescript red/orange curry sauce instead, topped with burnt onions to make it look like a dopiaza. When I complained the waiter told me this was the morrocan version of chicken dopiaza. I am of Indian heritage, and told the waiter I knew what my food should look and taste like but he continued to insist this was the way it should be. Whatever it was was bland and lacking any flavour, and I stopped after a few bites. The Nan was not bad. The final insult was the bill-1425 MAD. We asked to meet the Chef, who apparently is from Madras, but were told he was too busy.
Interestingly my German friends thought the food was 'OK' but not great, which leads me to think that if you are not used to good, authentic Indian food you may walk away from this place satisfied. If you are Indian, or expect good authentic indian food, please steer clear or you will be very disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SummatTaeAte
London, United Kingdom
“Nice meal, but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Given the poor trip advisor reviews, we weren't expecting much, which may have contributed to us being pretty pleased. Good food and a nice change from standard Moroccan fare. Expensive though, as it's a hotel restaurant.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“ok but not wow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

after being in marrakech for nearly a week and my husband and i fancied something spicy being of indian origin came across this place on google. I then read the reviews on this place and it was 50/50 but didn`t want to judge so we tried it for ourselves and like some people have said the decor,views and the ambience were magnificent but the food not so great. We ordered shish kebeb for starters to share and we got 2 kebabs talk about small portions. We then ordered a chicken biriyani and lamb dopiaza with buttered nan,the biryiani and the nan wasthe best i ever tasted but the lamb was so tough that i was chewing for a very long time and in the end gave up also the prices are pretty ch ching will notbe going back there

• Visited March 2013