“Great Home away from Home”
Review of Villa Makassar

Villa Makassar
Ranked #37 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The owner and staff really make you feel welcome! It is quite evident that the owners have invested a great deal of money in the Riad and each room is wonderfully unique. I would highly recommend Villa Makassar to anyone visiting Marrakech.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timothy E
There are newer reviews for Villa Makassar

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 days in Villa Makassar with my boyfriend. When we arrived the manager offered us some tea and upgraded our room: they let us choose the room that we liked more! they offered us an amazing breakfast - this was only the beginning. Rooms are luxury rooms with high end technology everywhere. The staff is always smily: they support you in every situation, from booking restaurants till contracting the price for a cab. The SPA experience was a rebirth. When we had to check out they checked us in into another available room to have a last shower in the afternoon, to feel better, without anything additional to pay. It's not just that I would recommend it, I will certainly come back. That was perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Alwaysallice
Souheil H, Directeur général at Villa Makassar, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

The fact that you would like to come back and renew the experience at Villa Makassar is such a great achievement for us.

We love our guests and make our best to please them and fullfill their needs and demands.

Indeed, the Spa experience is so re juveniting and relaxing, everyone should try it at least once.

We are looking forward to your next stay and until then we wish you all the best.

Sincerly,

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a long review, but I have so much to say and I promised it is worth the read!

Arriving at the huge beautiful door outside the alleys of Marrakech gave away little to what paradise I would find inside. My husband and I travelled from Toronto (via Paris) with our 3 boys ages 3, 6 and 8. After combing tripadvisor for the perfect Riad four our family we decided on Villa Makassar. And oh my what a decision. My words cannot express the feeling of tranquility as they opened the door. The candle lit hallway and perfumed aroma set the mood for Marrakech. We were immediately greeted by Souheil the manager who we had been corresponding with from Toronto. As we proceeded through the villa we came to an open courtyard and two beautifully appointed 1920 styled lounges. Further into the villa was a dinning room, second courtyard and kitchen. Souheil kindly showed my bouncing boys the pool area. To my delight the pool was nicely shaded and protected from the Morocco Sun and relief from the 45 degree heat. The area around the pool was quite narrow and seating was limited, but enough for the children to play. Once we finished the ground floor tour we headed back to one of the lounges where Souheil had arranged for fresh fruit, cold water and 3 bowls of ice cream! We learned quickly what “Marrakech time” was as we leisurely had a chit chat and then were leisurely shown to our rooms.

ROOMS:
The Parental suite was a large room with a king size bed and an adjoining room with two single beds and a rollaway for the toddler that they had pushed together as per my request. The décor stayed with 1920 theme with dark woods, a curved chest of drawers and writing table in the boys rooms. Both rooms had flat screen tv’s and built in closets, not a lot of drawer or table space for longer stays. The master bath had a huge almond shape tub, and the children’s room had a stand up shower, both very clean and modern.

I must say that this Riad and the unbelievable service made Marrakech for us. Never have I found a more hospitable establishment. The riad felt like a home away from home. My boys roamed freely around, no safety issues. They even started breakfast alone under the watchful eye of our waiter and cook who greeted them every morning with hugs and kisses! One afternoon my husband and I booked a hamaam treatment that Souheil insisted that we tried while he looked after the boys. Souheil gave us the feeling of ease and comfort. After our 2 hr treatment we found the kids playing with him with smiles on their faces. Souheil honestly felt like family just half way through our stay. Our hamaam experience was also like no other. I highly recommend it.
Lastly we also took tours, a city tour and the Atlas mountain tour. Souheil had arranged our driver Noorideen, who spoke very good English and was very informative. I also recommend booking this through the hotel for less hassle.

I will finish by saying that this Riad and especially Souheil made our trip. Coming from the west, I am a service oriented person, especially travelling with young kids. I am so happy that we choose the Riad experience rather than a 5-star American style hotel that I could get anywhere. Staying in a Riad ensures you that personal service where the staff anticipate your ever move to make your stay more comfortable without being annoying. Souheil arranged for our tours, negotiated our taxi’s, made reservations in the best restaurants, and loaned us a Marrakech cell phone to arrange for our pick ups from the restaurants when we were done. I highly recommend this Riad. Thank you to all the staff of Villa Makassar

A few tips:
-laundry was no extra for the kids, a complete BONUS
-elevator for the stroller
-extremely safe environment and child friendly
-free wifi

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FAMILYOFFOURTORONTO

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for such a detailed review.

It has been a pleasure for us to host you and your lovely family.

Taking care of the boys was a great and unusual moment (normally children under 12 are not allowed at Villa Makassar, except sometimes in summer time when we host only families).

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and for all your compliments.

On the behalf of the staff I wish you all the best.

Kindly,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited this beautiful hotel for three nights in July.

I booked a Junior Suite but we were upgraded to a larger room with an amazing open-air walk in shower and a separate bath.

Lovely cosy pool on the ground floor, nice comfy loungers on the terrace (sadly no plunge pool). Dining room is and common areas are beautiful.

Food is great, service is perfect.

Pre-book your spar-access though as sadly we couldn’t get in.
I would recommend this hotel to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We arrived and we were greeted by Souheil the Manager of Villa Makassar, from this moment on until we left we were truly in Paradise. We arrived late evening and Souheil had arranged a beautiful romantic Moroccan Meal on the terrace lit with Moroccan candle lit lanterns, it was out of this world. The following morning the same little table was dressed on the terrace for our breakfast and laden with freshly squeezed orange juice, pancakes, French toast and other wonderful nibbles followed by omelettes and toast. We had a tour around this beautiful riad with suprises in each area. A lovely refreshing Pool to cool off in on what was a scourcher of a day, a beautiful sun terrace (straw hats included to keep the heat off yr head) and an amazing Spa area with Jacuzzi pool and treatment rooms. The Art Deco design of this hotel is of outstanding beauty and really mixes well with the oldy worldy riad and the fresh plants and greenery make it truly exotic. The Villa is very central and only a ten minute walk away from the main square, we had fun along the way buying a magic carpet as a souvenir of our stay. We had paid for a junior suite, beautifully designed in art deco but were upgraded to the most amazing luxury Asian Art Deco Theme Suite across the way which made our stay even more amazing. The staff were absolutely fantastic so kind, caring and on hand at all times. We had a Hamamm scrub in the Spa and the experience was out of his world our skin was like a babies when we left and you felt comfortable in the company of the beautician at all times .. a real must at villa Makassar. The food we experienced during our stay was amazing, the cook was on hand and so friendly. From club sandwiches to the amazin Moroccan soup everything was cooked from scratch with fresh ingredients. Souheil and his lovely lady in reception helped us to find wonderful entertainment for both the day and evening and we visited some wonderful places during our five night stay. We really have to thank you Souheil and all your staff for making our holiday one in Paradise .. we will most definitely be back x

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Parsons-Young
Souheil H, Directeur général at Villa Makassar, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for such a detailed review.

It has been a true pleasure for me and my team to make your holidays special and we definitly hope to see you back in your Moroccan Home.

On behalf of the whole team I wish you all the best.

Kindly,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Me and my wife recently spent 9 days at the Villa Makassar. From day 1 the staff couldn't do enough for us! Whatever we wanted (and I am not an easy resident!), they did their best to make sure we got it. What more can I ask? The position is good for all main attractions and of course it is quiet, unobtrusive and select. I'm going to stay there again - why don't you?

Room Tip: The rooms are quite dark, which would be one comment I would make. Try to get a bright room if you c...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bonedrydog
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our first time in Morocco and we didn't know what to expect . We were very pleasantly surprised by the high standard of accommodation and excellent personal service offered by the staff especially the General Manager who went "above and beyond " to ensure our every need was catered for. The Villa Makassar itself is a delightful, elegantly decorated, peaceful and tranquil building in the heart of the Kasbah. The contrasts between the inside of the Hotel with its tasteful Art Nouveau decor, cool and calm environment and the busy streets outside couldn't be more extreme, but we loved it. A quick foray into the busy Souk to pick up a few hand made goods and then return to the hotel far from the madding crowd was a welcome relief . In fact we really didn't leave the hotel that much - just relaxed in this perfect place.
Thank you Souheil and the staff - we will definitely see you again !

Room Tip: Get the executive suites .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple