“Calm Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
“Calm Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Villa Makassar is a lovely hotel with an Art Deco theme. Each room is different. I had a standard room and found it very palacial. Souheil and his team couldn't do enough for my group. Everyone was so helpful and kind. The hotel is situated within a 20 minute walk to the main square. I hope to revisit it again soon.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This Riad with it's warm friendly welcome should not be missed. We were given a very friendly welcome to our "home" for 3 nights by the Manager Souheil. This was my first trip to Morocco and I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and the high standard of comfort and furnishings, all very art deco. My room was amazing and the hotel was calm and the staff were very attentive. A big thank you to Souheil and his team; I had the very best time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at Villa Makassar on my very first trip (of undoubtedly many more) to Marrakech. If there is one word to describe this hotel it would be have to be cool. Great deco, no two rooms could have been the same. I had the feeling like I was staying in a really cool friend's house. Staff is fabulous and friendly. Had a great a tour of the city with Nuhudeen (sorry if I misspelt) who knows the city inside out and taught me the secrets of an authentic tangine and a wonderful hammam scrub in the spa where the lady even washed my little chemise without any prompting which was incredibly touching. At the end of my stay the owner, Fouad, even gave me a bigger basket for my hand luggage so that Ryanair would not charge me 20 euros per kilo of excess luggage - I did not pay a penny more! Finally, being from Nigeria I was really reminded of how hospitable Africans are here - everyone makes you feel so welcome and valued. Thanks for the great experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Berkshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Villa Makassar was the perfect venue for a recent short break where a number of friends and I stayed. Just a short journey from the aiprort and located in a quiet road off the main busy routes,but still a pleasant walk to all the main sites. On arrival we were made to feel very welcome and "at home" - nothing was too much trouble. My room was beautiful,very comfortable and the bathroom exceptional, just a little more light and it would have been perfect.Breakfast was a real treat and varied each morning. Souheil the Manager and all off his staff made our visit memorable,so friendly,always had a smile for you and very professional. This Riad is definately worth a visit.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently stayed in Villa Makassar with a group of girlfriends, as soon as we walked into the Riad we were impressed. It was our first time to Morocco and we couldn’t have stayed in a more perfect place.

We were met by the Manager Souheil with mint tea and Moroccan pastries. The staff are welcoming and friendly. Throughout our stay the level of service was excellent, all went out of their way to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible.

We had dinner on the first night in the hotel and the food was delicious.

Souheil organised a day tour to the High Atlas mountains and our guide Noureddine was extremely knowledgeable and an excellent guide.

Whilst at the hotel we had a traditional Hamman in the hotel spa – not to be missed.

The Villa Makassar was a beautiful peaceful place to be.

1 Thank 255MP
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was a surprise trip from my girlfriend, and what can I say....this Riad is amazing.
The staff are very attentive - but not overly so that its annoying. The rooms were great and the décor is incredible. On arrival they talk to you about the owner and the décor - and its a great story. This was great for both of us, and at times it really felt like our own home - as we would sit in the court yard and not see any other guests for ages......very relaxing. The pool was great, the rooms great, service great.....no wonder everyone else has given it 5 stars!
We went for 4 days - and we plan to go again but for longer. If you want to go and relax - but enjoy the hustle and bustle of the square in the evening - this is your place.

P.S Try the Hammam Spa too.......amazing!!

Room Tip: Junior suites were a pretty standard size hotel room - but the big suites looked amazing (we had a c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We enjoyed the most wonderful holiday in your stunning Villa. It was our first time to Morocco and we couldn’t have stayed in a more perfect place. Everything about your hotel was perfect and it felt such a privilege to be surrounded by so much beauty. The staff are all so wonderfully helpful and special thanks goes to Souheil, the manager, who went out of his way to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple