“Stunning and fantasic service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Makassar

Villa Makassar
Ranked #39 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
London, England
“Stunning and fantasic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my first visit to Marrakech and I had forgotten that I had come to see the city!. The accommodation and the staff were outstanding. From the time I arrived to the day I left I felt so welcome and safe. The art deco design is fabulous and there is so much attention to detail - it seemed weird having a bang and olufsen tv in the room - but it also added to the quality. I came in the quiet season - but i think that meant i appreciated it more - it's a secret you do want to share - but not with too many people. The food was good and the portions were huge...but i still managed to eat it all. I cant express enough how much the entire team made me feel welcome - everyone was very friendly and genuine. it was a great relief from the madness outside - i mean that in a nice way. but it was very calm and serene in contrast to city life outside.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Our first stay in a moroccan Riad was a very nice experience. The staff were friendly and helpful and tried very hard to please. The waiter even brought me crepes when I asked if the breakfast (served on the roof top)was a traditional Moroccan breakfast, because he thought that I was unhappy with what we had!
They arranged a tour (a little pricey) for us with a very knowledgable guide that spoke english and looked after everything we needed. The room was clean and pleasant, although a bit small, as rooms in riads tend to be.
The Riad is centrally located, close to the Kasbah, the madina, the souks and the King's palace.

Room Tip: If you need space ask for the largest room they have. Riad rooms tend to be dark and small. Also...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

MY boyfriend and I visited for a 7 night stay in October and this being my first time buying a living social deal I did not know what to expect -- however, the hotel service and accommodations far exceeded my expectations! I enjoyed the fact that the hotel is on the smaller side and therefore the service is more personalized;Fouad, the owner greeted us upon arrival and helped with the arrangements pertaining to our Living Social deal as well as making us feel instantly right at home. He also had arranged for a driver to pick us up at the airport (and take us back) and everything went seamlessly. The entire staff was so lovely and accommodating and had wonderful recommendations. We could call each morning and request where to have breakfast, but I must say my favorite spot was on the beautiful roof, where I also enjoyed laying in the sun and relishing in the quiet as there was only ever 1 other couple at most while we were there. I would highly recommend the spa Hammam package - this was amazing and a highlight of the trip!!! The location of the hotel is also excellent - located within walking distance to the center and gardens. We also had an incredible guide that the hotel arranged for us - we had one day trip included in our package and some of the sites I wanted to see were outside the city so we decided to do a few trips. I had no idea it would be just us and the guide (Noor) and he was so knowledgeable, speaks excellent English, was so entertaining and just a lovely person. We felt so taken care of during our stay, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. As well as Marrakesh in general - I would definitely love to go back and see more and recommend others travel here as well!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I came here for 5 days in September. When we first arrived we were in awe of the place, it was one of the most beautiful hotels I'd ever seen. The room was spacious and I loved that is came with a jacuzzi! We made a good use of the pool each day, it wasn't a huge space but luckily we were the only ones that seemed to go down there so was nice to have it to ourselves the whole time! One of our only criticisms would be that where the pool was built, it was beside a wall, and so the whole pool was usually in darkness by 3/4pm, and so if you wanted more time in the sun you would have to go up to the roof. The staff were second to none and couldn't do enough for you, there was always someone around you could ask for help/information/food/directions and they were so friendly you sometimes ended up in half hour long conversations with them. The highlight of the place is by far being able to have breakfast on the roof. I couldn't think of a better way to start the day and the food was amazing, with something new everyday! The Villa Makassar and Morocco was an amazing experience and I would certainly recommend to all my friends and family to stay there if they ever went to Morocco. You wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: I think we were in the one of the basic rooms but we still had a jacuzzi in it.How can you argue wit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Such refinement !

As soon as we arrived at the airport, everything was taken care of: Our driver picked us up and drove us to the Riad; Never in our dreams could we have imagined the treasures that laid behind the discreet entrance door of Villa Makassar!

We were fortunate to be personally greeted by the owner, whose passion for Art Déco was evident. He showed us around, and spoke about the many artefacts and art displayed around the Riad, which he gathered during his travels around the world.

Our room was simply luxurious, the breakfast generous, and the staff discrete and very welcoming.  We opted for a half-board stay, and over the next 4 days we were spoilt and enjoyed delicious meals.

Special thanks to Raouia, head the SPA, a miracle-worker who spoke perfect English.
We will definitely come back to Villa Makassar, not in August however, as the weather is just too hot.

• Stayed August 2012
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Everything was perfect. Fouad & his team are excellent hosts. Pack 1 hammam and massage is nearly 2 hours of pampering! And all for about £ 43 .....
Remember to bring your camera as the Art Deco attention to detail is stunning. The bedrooms are individually styled and make staying here very memorable

• Stayed October 2012
Campbell River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband surprised me with a trip to Marrakech. I couldn't have been more delighted with the villa he chose. It is a true diachotomy of serene accommodation and exciting chaos of the city. What a beautiful place to return to after a day of climbing the Atlas Mountains or shopping in the medina.

When we first arrived at the villa on a flight from Spain, it was nearing midnight in Marrakech. The evening clerk greeted us with such warmth and said "Come in, you are home now. It is late and we will take care of the paperwork tomorrow. You must rest now." At first glance we were in love with this special place.

Foud and the staff are amazing and most accommodating. From the attention to detail in the decor, to the amazing meals (thanks to the fabulous chef), to the special spa - hammam treatment, and the roof-top deck...it is spectacular. In the mornings you wake to the enchanting sounds of call to prayer. I cannot say enough...

We will be back again to visit our friends at Villa Makkasar. There was only one problem. It ruined us for other hotels.

Deb & Brad - BC Canada

Room Tip: The entire villa was an oasis, although some room were much more spacious than the one we had.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple