“Mixed feelings....”

Ranked #104 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Antwerpen
“Mixed feelings....”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Arriving at Morocco is an experience: touchdown 10AM, a 1 hour passport control and more waiting until everybody's on the bus. You finally arrive at the hotel around 12 (only 15 minutes away from the airport) where you check in and get your room.... at 4:00 PM. PS/ make sure you go find your lugage first !
After unpacking time for some relaxation in the Spa? ("wellness included" by Thomas Cook)
The indoor swim after the hammam will cost you 10€ pp...
During the whole week no wifi available in the room, only rarely at the reception desk.
Do you want do exchange some euros into dirhams, you will be better off at the Carrefour (15min walk)

And now for something a little more positive:
the buffet is offering a nice variety of European & Morrocan cuisine. You must eat quite early though: once the buffet is running on empty, some plates will not be renewed (desserts....).
Some international wines are even available: if you're lucky they'll even find the key to get it.

Hotel-entrance, the receptiondesk and rooms are beautiful and always clean. The same for the beautiful gardens and swimmingpools, the great sun-lounges are very inviting.
It's staff is very friendly but always slow: if you need something, ask twice. (When you arrive late at the restaurant, it will be difficult to find a clean table...)

This hotel has everything to offer a great 5* stay, but it's missing structure and organisation.
Everybody's always doing a little 'something', but there's no one to organise and give directions.
Responsables are extremely good in overlooking without interacting. As someone said: organised chaos.
Good luck with the return: I hope the airport check in won't take... +2 hours?

Room Tip: Rooms +900 (some suites), very quiet with a nicegarden-terrace.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ElReyBuenvino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We also stayed here over half term and having read previous reviews, I was pleasantly surprised. I booked the accommodation on Expedia ( after having received a cheap Groupon Deal for this hotel) and initially had booked flights with Ryan Air (never again) which we changed to Easy Jet (another pleasant surprise).

We got a taxi from the airport which cost 200 dhirams. Were at the hotel within 15 minutes. Reception were very friendly and checked us in straightaway. Yes we were offered a welcome drink and were taken to our room in the buggy and our luggage brought to our room. We were also told about the charge for the safe .

The room was quite nice. Flat screen tv and fairly decent bathroom. The beds were rock hard and the pillows made of concrete. We were short on towels and pillows. The next day we asked for extras and they sorted it out straightaway. The free wifi wasn't working in our room so I reported it to Reception and she said she would notify the "technician". I thought she was spinning me a yarn but the next time I tried the wifi it was working! The free wifi was a real bonus.

The place itself was beautiful and my son loved the water slides. However if you are expecting an All Inclusive like the ones in the Caribbean then this one falls short. It advertises all sorts of activities like Archery and Cooking but they weren't very good. It sometimes rained and when it did there was nothing to do except sit in your room. If you have children then there wasn't really much to do in the evenings either. On the other hand its only a 3 hour flight and was keenly priced. The animation team were very friendly and always tried to include you.

The food was not bad. It was a lot better then the food you get in All Inclusive Resorts in Egypt but not as a good as the Caribbean. The fresh orange for breakfast was good and the bread was lovely. The food did get a little repetitive but you could always find something. The restaurant could get a little manic and was calmer the later you left going. They didn't seem to run out of food so going late did not create any problems and it was easier to find a table and to get food without having to queue.

You do have to be careful with the food. On one occasion the chicken kebabs that were served were raw on the inside. If you are vegetarian it may be a problem.

The staff were friendly enough but if you wanted something you did have to be assertive and ask for it otherwise you would just be ignored. I used my school girl french and found that whenever I tried to speak French to get myself understood they would speak back to me in English so no problem. I have to say I had no problem with language or communication.

We used the Spa - for massages which was lovely.

The shuttle bus was also very efficient but book the day before otherwise you may not get the time slots you want. Marrakesh was brilliant fun. The souks were amazing.

The plus points for this hotel are its beautiful, good value, slides, free wifi. The negatives are too many flies.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed there with my husband and 2 kids for half term. The price was very good but the reviews appeared quite mixed so we were unsure what to expect. On arrival we found a long queue in reception and lots of unhappy guests. The staff were friendly but appeared out of their depth, and it took us an hour and a half to check in. No welcome drink, no apology and no explanation. We were then taken to our room in a golf buggy. Unlike others, we were not shown around - we were dropped at the bottom of the stairs and the driver pointed up to where our room was and left us to it.
The room was small but very nice, but we saw a problem immediately. One double bed (which was actually 2 singles pushed together) and one single sofa bed. And there were four of us. Also only two towels. I was not happy as we had waited so long to check in, but went back to reception to complain. To their credit, staff rectified this very quickly and brought another bed and more towels. The room was quite cramped but we weren't in it much so it didn't matter. The bathroom was also very nice but there was no shower curtain which we found odd as the shower was quite powerful and the floor was soaked very quickly.
The hotel itself is lovely. The grounds are picturesque with paths lined with olive trees. There are gardeners always working on it. The communal parts are luxurious with beautiful vases of flowers in reception, and sweet smelling oils burning. The dining room is vast, but the tables were always beautifully laid and spotlessly clean.
My kids loved the pools - one freezing cold and one lovely and warm - and could have spent all day going down the water slides. There were always plenty of sunbeds and towels were provided. I wasn't too impressed with the pool bar. No real shelter if it rained (which it did!) and the main bar not open until 6pm so nowhere to go for a quiet drink during the day. The drinks were not the best quality there either.
The food - very good although we did have dodgy stomachs. This is probably to be expected. Massive choice for every meal, wonderful desserts. Can't believe anyone would think the food was the repetitive! Freshly squeezed orange juice and omelettes to order at breakfast were great. You can't request a glass of wine at lunch or dinner - they always bring a bottle which is not necessarily a bad thing. Moroccan food available for every meal, but if not your thing there was plenty more to choose from. Every night was themed which was a nice touch - and the staff were always very friendly and helpful. However I did feel that if you were French you got a slightly better service.
What did surprise me was that there was a charge (180 dirhams) for using the room safe, and a charge of 200 dirhams a day to use the gym. I haven't experienced this on an all-inclusive before and was not impressed. We were not told about the safe charge until check-out. However the shuttle bus to the medina was free and was very reliable and efficient making several trips there and back every day. This saved you having to haggle with the taxi drivers who would attempt to rip you off at every opportunity.
I must mention our lovely cleaner, a young lady who was always smiling, worked like a trojan and left our room looking gorgeous every day. Bedcovers in the shape of flowers, rose petals scattered everywhere, spotessly clean bathroom with replenished toiletries every day. They deserve a big tip as they go way beyond what is required of them!
All in all a good holiday and I would recommend. Just don't expect 5 star luxury.

Room Tip: Try to get an atlas mountains view - stunning
London, UK
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been going to Marrakech for over 40 years and have stayed in a number of places although when I am very happy with a place I tend to return time and time again.
However this time I chose to try the Kenzi Club Agdal Medina as it is a fairly new chain of hotels (although I felt quite guilty not to go to our usual Club in the Palmeraie area where we are treated like VIPs at all times and nothing can be faulted!).
I regretted this choice within the first 2 hours there. We arrived well after the check-in time and found a totally disorganized reception desk, were ignored totally as 2 of the staff were far more interested in playing with their mobile phones and when they attended to us on and off, again total disorganization and it was evident that they did not have a room ready for us.
After at least 1 1/2 hrs (during which I actually had to request the welcome drink which they were supposed to offer in the first place) we were allocated a room. We were taken to it and to my utter dissatisfaction it was a room overlooking wasteland and rubbish (I actually had sent an email asking to have a room possibly near the main building - no notice was taken) - not what I am used to in Marrakech or anywhere else or an acceptable location for anyone. After I complained we were moved to a decent room in one of the aisles with olive trees etc which was far nicer and close to the Spa.
We thought we would then enjoy our stay but this was not to be. The hotel/club was very busy, the service got worse, the food although plentiful was pretty much the same at every meal and luckily we were only there for 4 nights. We tried the Moroccan restaurant (set menu for each day of the week) on the day they were supposed to serve "tagine de poulet au citron" (chicken with lemon tagine) but instead they served lamb tagine with prunes. I happen not to be able to eat lamb (which smelled more like mutton than lamb) and therefore did not eat the main course as there wasn't an alternative. I wasn't the only one in the same situation so the other guests didn't eat either. Taking into account one actually pays extra it is appalling.
Throughout our stay we heard various people complaining. We used the Spa which was fine but not as good as some and the gym was fee paying which we certainly never encountered in any 4 or 5 stars establishments. We always stay in 4+ or 5+ stars and that was a first!
We had rain most of the time which couldn't be helped but there again the drainage was totally inadequate in parts of the ground as well as the walkways for 1st floor rooms which were totally flooded above the inside of shoes. Wi-Fi doesn't work everywhere either.
The restaurant staff were very nice, helpful and friendly but simply couldn't cope with the number of guests which is not their fault - there is an obvious lack of staff and in other areas lack of experienced and well trained staff as they don't seem to know how to treat guests without whom they wouldn't have a job.
The beds were comfortable and clean, the amenities in the bathroom were only soap, shampoo and shower gel - in a 5* a great number of other amenities are there; I would rate this Hotel Club a 3* but definitely not a 5*; we shall not stay there again and are unable to recommend it.
My only additional comment is that if the hotel isn't very busy may be it's ok.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms at the end of the compound overlooking wasteland as well as rooms too close to th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MCPK
essex
Reviewed November 6, 2012

my husband and i stayed here for our wedding anniversay in february. The weather was warm and the hotel was lovely. food was great. Unlimited drinks with your dinner, the waiter comes round and puts a bottle of red or white wine on the table with your lunch, plenty of fizzy drinks for the kids.

The spa was lovely, I had a pedicure while i was here, the only downside is that my french is not what it used to be, so communication was limited.

My husband and I cant wait to go back.

The rooms are very spacious and the gardens are very well maintained.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tracey h
Staplehurst, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am an avid research and trip advisor user so I checked this hotel out before I went and was aware of the mixed reviews which were either absolutely excellent or downright awful. Following my visit to this hotel I am amazed that anyone could say anything negative about it! They really must have been to another hotel as far as I am concerned.
So rather than just expel the virtues of the hotel I thought I would breakdown some specifics.

The Hotel:
It is as shown in the photo’s in fact I would say the photos don’t do it justice. I noted some reviews commenting on a bad smell, I experienced nothing of this, in fact I have to say the smell of both reception and the spa is beautiful, it is fresh and flowery. This is probably due to the stunning vases of white roses and lilies in the reception areas and the essential oils etc from the spa. The reception staff are in my experience attentive, helpful and polite down to the offered glass of a cool refreshing drink as you arrive. We were driven around the hotel pointing out where everything is on a buggy on route to our room. Our cases arrive 5 minutes later.
The outside space is clean and the gardens well manicured. The pathways were always being swept and the care of the staff for their environment was obvious. The pools were clean and the pool area was always attended. The slide was great for the kids young and old and they appeared to have sessions when they opened the slides and then also closed them during lunch, that did allow children sensible settling time after their meal.

The Animation Team:
Wow, Wow and Wow! These guys really work hard to make your holiday special, you could chose to join in or simply say no thanks, never any pressure and they really did make sure that the dual languages of French and English were catered for. My husband and I went with his 15 year old twins my step kids (a boy and a girl) and they really understood how to draw the teens out of themselves. Even on rainy days (to be expected this time of year) they were offering teen time with Wi's etc. We really liked the old fashioned way they would ask you to dance with them in the bar in the evening, my husband never dance’s but up he was happily swaying round the dance floor with one of the girls from the Animation team. The animation team worked from early morning through the day and in to the evening including a fully choreographed show in the evening, always with a hello and a smile. They are a credit to the hotel, brilliant!

The Room:
A really good size huge double bed, we asked to be rooms near one another and we were right next door. The room was cleared daily and well, with petals and beautifully folded sheets in flower shapes etc. The cleaning staff again always says hello and smile. I have seen pictures of bugs on other reports, I saw nothing like this. I always get bitten on holiday and I was bitten only once on the last day. There is a fridge but it’s not stocked but that is my only slight complaint but the drinks were free flowing and not restricted and you could have easily requested a bottle of wine in the restaurant to drink back at your room if you’d wanted too.

The Food:
Again I cannot see why anyone complains about this in other reports. The food was plentiful,l a pasta station , Moroccan selection, pizza bar and chips every night if that’s your thing. The salads were amazing, the bread fresh daily and the sweets to die for. The Moroccan restaurant on site is definitely worth a visit too and a small surcharge of about £10 per head should not put you off. There was something magical about the evening and the local lute player.

The Pool Bar:
Great service and always friendly, a special hello to Mohammed who really was very sweet. The pool bar staff also regularly go round the pool picking up plastic glasses, plates etc and show a real pride in the hotel.

Free Hotel Medina Shuttle transfer:
Easy to book the night before and a really easy service to use both from the hotel and on pick up. Save your money and don’t take a taxi there really is no need.

In Summary
This is a top hotel in Marrakech and has an excellent reputation, which is well earned and in our experience as a family group, with teenagers, a great holiday destination, we would come back again at the drop of a hat. Our only disappointment was some rain and cloud for the first few days but there’s not a lot the hotel could do about that, I’m sure if we’d asked the Animation Team would of done a sun dance and solved it for us if they could. Don’t let the negative reviews put you off, you’d regret it this hotel is fabulous.

Room Tip: 715 and 716 were perfect for us
6 Thank Jules Q
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we have just arrived back in the UK after an enjoyable week at the Kenzi club. we had booked through last minute.com and have to say having read some of the reviews on this site was not sure what we were going to.
All I can say is that I am not sure some of the people had actually stayed at this hotel.
check in was quick ,although a little disorganised as Iam not sure they knew which rooms we were going to have. having checked in we were taken to our rooms and the porter in his golf cart was willing to wait to take us to the restaurant as dinner was still being served. We declined choosing instead to go to the bar for a much needed drink after the delays in immigration nothing to do with the hotel.
Throughout the stay the staff were helpful,cheerful and always willing to meet our requests despite our very poor efforts at french. The choices in the restaurant were plentiful and we were always able to find something to our taste. With plentiful supplies of wine water and other drinks there was no danger of dehydration.
All in all this is not a euro pean 5* but is a good clean hotel that is fast learning on what it takews to make guests happy. A more organised system in reception controlling room allocation , an ATM to get cash would all enhance the facilities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Les273
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marrakech
Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa
#190 of 496 in Marrakech
La Maison des Oliviers
La Maison des Oliviers
#1 of 1 in Lagouassem

Been to Kenzi Club Agdal Medina? Share your experiences!