“Dependable, Reliable, Affordable, Honest, Excellent Guides!”
Review of Authentic Morocco

Authentic Morocco
Ranked #93 of 898 Tours in Marrakech
More attraction details
Owner description: Authentic Morocco Limited is based in UK and runs private tours and treks throughout Morocco that are suitable for couples, groups of friends, students and families with children. Tours run from Marrakech, Fes, Casablanca, Rabat, Tangiers and elsewhere on request including pick-up and drop-off from your riad or hotel, airport or ferryport. Authentic Morocco Limited is wholly owned by Liz Williams who, based on her many years of experience travelling and working in Morocco, handles 100% of enquiries, bookings and payments. Clients who book through 'Authentic Morocco Limited' are issued with a detailed itinerary and invoice/receipt in the name of 'Authentic Morocco Limited'. The company is bonded through the Travel Trust Association (TTA) who independently safe-guard client payments until after the tour dates.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Liz, the owner of Authentic Morocco definitely has the travel industry figured out! She quickly answered my emails and prepared the best vacation for myself and my 10 year old daughter. We were taken care of every step of the way. We were offered a local guide at every city which was fabulous! Each guide was knowledgable, respectful and happy! We used Mustapha and Hamza and we could not be happier with their service, our car and the recommended Riads. Thank you Liz and employees of Authentic Morocco.

I am a seasoned traveler and I never do tours but I will contact Authentic Morocco in the near future as I am not finished with the wonderful country of Morocco! Inshallah.

1  Thank Jennifer F

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Liz and his local team are amazing!!! Liz is so kind since the very begining, giving you advices and tips that you won't find anywhere else. She is like your private guide in Marocco. I was confused about wich cities were the best ones, how we could get from one to another and Liz made all the plans right away, indicating the best places to stay and to eat. I had the chance to meet her twice and she is so gentle you think she's a distant relative that you do like, but you don't see very often. We visited more than 4 cities in 8 days and had no relevant problems at all. All the transfers were on time (except the train we lost due to Marrakech trafficc), all the local people (driver, guides etc) were kind and collaborative. Some minor problems that I related to Liz (and I'm sure she is working hard on that) included: a very bad restaurant indicated by his guide on Meknes and a guide in Fes that was a bit "pushy". Overall, if you do business with Liz and her Authentic Morocco, we'll be in very good hands. Just have fun in Morocco!! (and DO consider Liz's tips about hotels and restaurants!!)

2  Thank LMVoyageur
Reviewed June 6, 2013

During a recent tour to Morocco and Marrakech my wife and I used Authentic Morocco to arrange some local tours for us, both in the cities and outside. Arranging the tours and doing the planning was superb -- Liz was helpful in recommendations and extremely responsive. She took the worries out of dealing with a foreign company. Each of the tours was excellent, but we particularly enjoyed the tour to the desert and to Tin Mal and Imlil in the High Atlas. The drivers/guides were absolutely fantastic -- spoke good English and were very knowledgeable. The vehicles were well maintained and comfortable. I've used many guides, agents, and agencies over the years to arrange day tours and provide guide services. Authentic Morocco goes to the head of the class. I highly recommend them. If you would like more details just send me a message on Trip Advisor and I'll get back to you soonest.

1  Thank dukedad
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We are just back from 10 days there. Liz and Authentic Morocco were as good as everyone here says. We did Essaouira, Marrakech, Ouzoud, the Atlas Mountains and Fez. We had two different guides/drivers because we did several days in Marrakech on our own - we like to get to cities and experience them that way. Yet in Fez we spent the first day with a guide provided by Authentic Morocco who was marvellous. A two or three hour tour turned into nearly six. He, and the two guides/drivers, were all a real pleasure to be with. We learned so much about the Berbers and their history. On travel days we asked to stop a lot. I shot about 2,400 pictures. At one point we stopped near a shepherd who was quite happy to let me see what he was up to - even posed for some great pictures. Liz did a great job with our itinerary. The riads were terrific. This is a brilliant way to see Morocco.

Lahsen and Ali, if you read this, THANKS!!! It was great to get to know you. We plan to come back to see the dessert.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have never taken a tour and usually don’t engage guides but happened upon Liz Williams from Authentic Morocco and had the time of my life.

Before arriving in Morocco I raised money to drive a micro-financing project for rural Berber women. The project provides goats and is supporting the women in setting up a community based project producing cheese and thereby providing them with a sustainable income. I did this with the help of Liz Williams, a founding member of Children of Sahara, a Foundation that cuts out all the middlemen so that there is no money wasted - that is, we bought the goats ourselves and delivered them directly to the women in the village.

Liz Williams is also the brainchild of Authentic Morocco, a private tour operator in Morocco, so we were able to merge the two experiences into one - contributing to the local community as we travelled through the south of Morocco.

I was raptured by the experience - not just with Liz’s commitment to the Berber women, which is so commendable in itself, but also by the opportunity to contribute and experience aspects or the Moroccan culture not typically available to tourists.

Liz and her wonderful English speaking driver Ali collected us in their new Land Cruiser. From the moment we took off there were zillions of lost photo opportunities as we travelled through extraordinarily beautiful places to visit a jumble of goat farms. Over two days we consumed enormous amounts of compulsory sweet mint tea, on which all consummate negotiations are based, whilst listening to an endless stream of good-natured haggling.

Finally, with the goats purchased, we hired a van and made our way to the village where the women were waiting. The women agreed to give the first female kid back to the Foundation so that it can be allocated to another woman on the waiting list and thus the project unfolds. By way of thanks we were fed a wonderful tagine lunch and each presented with a 2 kilo bag of the freshest, sweetest almonds I have ever tasted.

With the leftover money we purchased basic groceries such as sugar, tea, soap, rice etc and set out in search of nomad families to provide them with some winter-sustaining dry goods. We drove through the Dades Gorge into undulating hills of wild thyme passing only the occasional shepherd and his flock. Eventually, we came across a Berber nomad family living in their brown wool tent in the mountains.

At home were just three children - 9 and 7 year old boys who were caring for their 1 year old brother whilst grandma and mother were foraging and herding their goats. The children wore dirty, ill-fitted clothes riddled with holes and offered us to share their small tent that was open to the elements. Goats and chickens wandered in and out and the hordes of rubbish substituted for seating.

With great pride (and some curiosity) the boys graciously washed glasses with tepid water from a bowl and made us tea on a campfire inside the tent. We played and chatted until Grandma arrived with a load of grass for the goats and wood for the fire. She thanked us for the groceries and asked if we would return with winter shoes and clothes for the children. She was lovely and watching her gentle and loving interactions with the children was very moving.

The experience was truly remarkable and reminded us of how resilient people can be when living in abject poverty and conversely how spoiled we are in the Western world. I now try to wake up with a smile on my face each morning and remember how lucky I am.

Note: Our project assisted women from village of Ait Ali Aisa (one of the several communities in the Toundoute area) http://www.saharachildren.org/wp/

2  Thank turkiyem