“Great riad, amazing service and food”
Review of Riad Al Badia

Riad Al Badia
Ranked #11 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We booked a week here back in March 2013, and had an amazing time. We had one of the less expensive rooms, up on the roof. We had an amazing time - breakfast on the terrace every morning. My other half doesn't usuall eat breakfast, but the yoghurt, the mint tea and the pastries even got him out of bed. The location was a little out from the medina, but that was fine for us as we like to explore. We had dinner at the Riad a coupe of times, ordering in the morning, and the food was out of this world - more expensive than the restaurants around the markets, but the 3 courses were all lovely. We had a lamb and date tagine one night,and a chicken one the other time. Only recommendation would be that they serve wine by the glass - as a non martini/beer drinker I struggled for choice. Wonderful service and very happy memories.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cathhhyyyyyyy
Laurent O, Gérant at Riad Al Badia, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Madam,
I thank you for your lovely review, Bousta and the all team wish to thank you from the deepest of their hearts. It was a pure delight having this week at the Riad, which is located inside the Medina… the Medina is the old city, inside the walls. We all hope to see you again soon, Samira has a lot more tajines to make you discover! Thank you again for everything and take good care of both of you.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We booked the Riad after looking at the previous reviews on tripadvisor.
Booking was simple and all our requirements met, we arranged a taxi through the hotel which I would recommend, the path to the Riad is a bit daunting but once you get used to it it all adds to the experience.
We stayed to celebrate my mothers 70th, we had a special meal on the first night and Laurent also arranged musicians, it was a really lovely evening, the meal was beautifully cooked and we were talked through how to eat it - soup with a honey type biscuit - lovely!!
The next day Laurent and Bousta showed us maps of the medina advising us where to go and to enjoy ourselves along with other tips such as how to talk to the stall-holders etc, Laurent then took us to the square which was very helpful.
My husband, myself and my daughter had the two rooms at the top of the building - sorry can't remember the colour names - the bathrooms were quite small but everything that you needed was there. There was no internet on the top floor which was great, this ment my 13yr old who was in a room on her own, couldn't stay on her i-pad till all hours and had to go downstairs for internet access.
Laurent told us it was our home and it certainly felt very welcoming and homely.
Overall - we had a wonderful stay - the Riad was lovely, the staff friendly and helpful and I would deffinately stay there if I ever go to Marrakesh again.

Room Tip: The coral room looked the nicest, the standard rooms on the top floor are probably a bit noisier whe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Purplecarrots

Dear Madam,
I thank you for your delightful review. Bousta and his all team join me to express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stay at Riad Al Badia. We were very honoured to meet your family and receive you for this very special event, your Mummy’s birthday. What a privilege for us to organize this evening. The all team keep a very warm, and enthusiastic souvenir of your all family we all hope to be able to see you again in a not too far future, just send us a short mail and we will organize everything you need. Thank you all for these fantastic moments you offered us and we wish you all, the best for the future. Take good care of all of you.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Overall:
We were two female friends travelling together , and felt truly cared for at this Riyad. The manager spent time explaining the areas of interest to visit and walked us around the area for orientation purposes, which was a great touch. Nothing was too much trouble at all, the staff really are the USP you will have a lovely holiday here! On departure the manager escorted us and helped flag a taxi, we felt really cared for.

Location: The Riyad, is located in a back street in the Medina. After the short tour and orientation session provided by the manager we were able to find our way around the local area no problem. I would say the street leading to the property is a bit of a building site, but once inside the Riyad its a contrast of calm cleanliness and tranquility. You have to walk along a busy road to the main square and Souk, with no pavement and it feels a tad dangerous at times, we saw collisions between pedestrians and road users. We however remained unscathed. If you are adventurous enough to use the collective taxi this is a cheap way to get around, and you can hail one on the main street near the Riyad as we did. Taxi charges vary so barter, the collectives are cheapest the driver always seems to say 20 DH tourist taxis are typically 100DH

Food:
Wonderfully good, authentic Moroccan breakfast mainly made up of fresh breads and all the tea coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice you can consume. Truly gastronomic! Not for gluten intolerants or carb free fanatics though.

Room.
We were on the top floor, booked a twin, got a double, queried it and were advised no twins available, we were two girls sharing so had to cosy up in the same bed, not a huge problem. I usually travel with a male friend so any ther time the bed arrangement would have been a significant problem and we would have had to leave even though we'd prepaid and prebooked twins. The bathroom was cramped, I think an overweight person or tall man would have real trouble getting in and out of the bathroom. No mirror in the bedroom, so 2 girls sharing + sleeping in the same bed made for military arrangements in terms of getting ready & time in front of the solitary bathroom mirror etc. this holiday was potential to test vanity amongst friends, good job we are great buddies. The room was small but the construction of the Riyad in the Medina probably dictates the cosy feel. There's lots of very nice outdoor and communal seating, and we used this when we felt a bit claustrophobic in the room. I noticed our bathroom hand towels were not changed, disappointing, as we had left them on the dirty floor as a signal for new ones, I was horrified to see they had been refolded and represented more than once.

Challenges for the female tourist:
This is not concerning the Riyad al Badia but concerning the people of the city. We were 2 female friends travelling together and were subjected to the most heinous sexual insults and offensive behaviour every day from the local men when we were walking around. At first we brushed it off, and toughed it out, but sometimes it was just too much, as men were leaping in front of us , blocking our path, trying to touch us in inappropriate places, and saying the most crude sexual things to us. This upset us immensely and spoiled our holiday, we are both experienced independent travellers but I have to say this is the worse experience I've ever had in terms of the attitude of locals. My friend at one point felt so intimidated by 3 men pressing upon us in a back street she fled for safety into a nearby Riyad, and we had to cower in there until we felt the men had gone away. We wore conservative clothing, covered to ankles and wrist, scarves etc but were subject to verbal sexual abuse and intimidation virtually every hour of every day when we were sight seeing. I would say the split was 30% nice locals, 70% totally explicit and deplorable.

In contrast the staff at the hotel were marvellous and very normal. I would not recommend any female tourist to walk around alone in Marrakech you will be a target for offensive sexual behaviour. I would not go back to the country regrettably as a result of the unconventional behaviours we experienced. In the souk a vendor used a suggestion that I provide him with sexual gratification in order to get a better price for a handbag I wanted to buy, this type of bartering was not flirtation misinterpreted, the guy was grabbing at my breasts and intimidating me and refused to apologise when I expressed my horror and upset. I should have kicked him hard in the nuts to teach him a lesson instead of shouting and running away. My lasting impression of Marrakech is it is full of sexually demented and perverse men, and I never want to visit the place again. Applications for effective and experienced bodyguard welcomed, for my next trip to a Muslim country.

I hope you find my hotel review balanced. Thanks

Room Tip: no twins, Riyad structure not going to give you huge space in terms of bedroom size, also discretion...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank supahotchick

Dear Madam,
I thank you for your long review, and I feel a bit frustrated to read that you had such a hard time in Marrakech especially as you did not mention it once while at the riad, nor leaving. We do regularly receive single ladies or couple of friends and this is the first time we read that type of experience. Yes ladies are looked at, approached often… we would have loved to hear about it, even if we would not have been able to do a lot. Regarding towels also, I feel frustrated that you mention it now, after departure, as this is not at all the standard at Riad Al Badia, where we do have 2 services a day. I suppose that a mix-up between towels happened this day that happened, but having the information we would have been able to apologize for the mix-up and changed towels as girls will do absolutely every day in every room, review at night at time of opening beds. We were all delighted to receive you and we do keep a very warm souvenir of your stay among us, this is a pitty that we hear all of this now, reading your review. Once again, I can guarantee you that you were absolutely welcomed to Riad Al Badia, and in Marrakech in general, we definitely have some bad people like anywhere else in the world, but mainly people are friendly and welcoming. If one day you change your mind and decide to visit Marrakech again, we hope to have the pleasure to see you again, as you are home at Riad Al Badia, you know this. Thank you for everything you gave us and take good care of both of you.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed at the Al Badia in late Feb for 5 nights and would highly recommend a stay here. It’s a good idea to arrange with Laurent (the owner) via email for a private car taxi from the airport – we were driven almost to the riad and then our cases were carried the 100 metres or so to the door. The riad is situateda short walk down a dusty alleyway but this works in its favour being away from the noise of the street – as soon as you enter the door as if by magic the street noise disappears. The staff are brilliant, Bousta the manager is always there to help with advice and directions and the rest of the team are always there to help and always with a friendly smile. We ate there on the first night due to a late flight and Samira’s cooking was delicious.

Breakfast on the terrace was a lovely way to start the day – fresh breads, coffee and orange juice in the warming sun – perfect!

Our room was a junior suite – good size, tastefully decorated and the bed was comfortable – we slept well every night although that may have something to do with walking down every souk in Marrakech ! Throughout the décor is beautifully simple and tasteful. Huge wet-room style shower with lots of hot water and luxurious bathrobes too!

Location - The riad is at the southern end of the Medina, about 50 metres down a narrow alleyway from the main street – do not be put off by this - it makes for a very quiet location and we never felt unsafe getting to / from the door. It is 5 minutes walk to the nearest small square (Place des Ferblantiers) and then only 10 minutes more to the main Jemaa square. The Riad is also quite near to many of the old palaces and the Kasbah area – so in my view perfectly located.

Our 5 days in Marrakech was fantastic – it is an amazing experience and when we go again we will stay at the Al Badia – I think Lauren summed it up when he said ‘this is your home … ‘ - the staff could not have looked after us any better and we look forward to staying there again soon.

Room Tip: We had a lovely junior suite on the first floor - no external windows meant almost no noise from the...
2  Thank Nick H

Dear Sir,
I thank you so much for your lovely review. Bousta and his all team join me to express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stay at Riad Al Badia. It has been a pure delight having you these few days at the riad, your interest for Marrakech and South of Morocco, your enthusiasm for our cuisine and culture were all very much appreciated. Thank you so much for everything, we felt privileged to receive you and we all hope to see you again in a not too far future. Please do not change a thing, both of you are absolutely perfect guests and we wish you all the best for the nearest future. Hopefully it will bring you back “home” at Riad Al Badia. Take good care of both of you.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights here in the riad.
Excellent service of the super friendly staff! Lovely, quiet riad in the old city.
Breakfast is nice and very good to have on the terrace outside.
To see Marrakesh you don't need the full 5 days, but it's nice to enjoy the sights and the rest.

3  Thank Fanny_G_11_11

Dear Madam,
I thank you for your very kind review. Bousta and the all team join me to express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stay at Riad Al Badia. Your extreme kindness with everyone of us was much appreciated. We all hope to see you again in a not too far future. Take good care of both of you.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights mid-February. Liaised with Larent at the Riad prior to our trip - was given good advice around exchanging money and booked the airport transfers through them - previous visitors had commented that this was advisable as the Riad would be almost impossible to find otherwise. Introduction, map and advice from Bousta on arrival was extremely helpful together with guidance to the nearest landmarks. Perfectly placed to explore. We stayed in the Junior Suite - the Riad's website was very helpful in choosing a room to suit our needs. The Riad was very clean throughout. We enjoyed all of the traditional Moroccan food served and booked in for 2 evening meals during our stay. We enjoyed the used of the rooftop terrace during the sunny days. We booked 2 trips through the Riad which we really enjoyed. The Riad is a peaceful haven after the 'craziness' that is Marrakech!

Room Tip: Use the Riad's website
2  Thank Penny M

Dear Madam,
I thank you for your very kind review, it has been a pure delight for the all team to receive your these few days. We keep a very enthusiastic souvenir of your stay among us and I thank you for mentioning of any future guest, our website permits to choose one’s room, to contact us directly… what makes things easier. We are extremely grateful so thank you again for everything and we all hope to be able to see you again in a not too far future. Take good care of both of you.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 6 nights in February, and would definitely recommend the Riad Al Badia.

The staff were all fantastic - nothing was ever too much trouble. They were friendly and attentive, and hapy to suggest places of interest and show us how to get around.

The environment is calm and peaceful, and is a short of mins walk from the centre of the Medina.

We ate out mainly, but had one evening meal in the Riad, the standard was extremely high and would recommend you eat there at least once! Great value for money, if we find ourselves in Marrakech again we wouldn't bother looking around for anywhere else. Thank you for a great holiday!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RugglynMel

Dear Madam,
I thank you for this lovely review and Bousta and his all team join me to express you our heartfelt gratitude for your stay at Riad Al Badia. It has been a pure delight for the all team to receive you and see you discover our city and our culture. We all hope to see you again soon, you are home at Riad Al Badia, you know it, any time. Thank you again for everything you gave us and take absolute good care of both of you.