“Snowy Atlas Mountains”

High Atlas Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #420 of 878 Tours in Marrakech
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Guide Marrakech is expanding southward! Now my focus is on day trips from Marrakech, as well as joining a day tour with a vehical in the city with a second day with the same driver in the High Atlas. Having seen the bustling souks of Marrakech, where the energy is full on, you can then relax to the tranquility of the Atlas, avoiding the heavy tourism in favor of a higher path. Here you can relax to the tranquility of the High Atlas and experience how people really, which to a great extent is much like it has been for centuries.. The path above Setti Fodma leads to trekking adventures going south (should you have more than a day to spend in the Atlas Mountains), and northward - a fairly level 25 minute hike - you can visit my village and have couscous on the terrace of my Berber house, the High Atlas Retreat, as a part of your day trip exploring the villages of the High Atlas.High Atlas Retreat is definitely a place to wind down with a view that is truly spectacular! I envision travellers coming to get an intimate view of village life where few westerners go even though it is just over an hour's drive from Marrakech; and others come in search of a place where there are discussions, as well, about East/West issues and where our world is going in this juncture where not only can you experience a thriving, indigenous culture and seek new ways to see our own lives outside the confines of globalization. And...the High Atlas Mountain Retreat is a great place for birdwatching!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 8, 2014

What a wonderful guide Tod is! He took us on a tour of the High Atlas on Friday 31 January. During the week there had been a lot of snow there but the roads were clear and the views were amazing. Tod takes you off the beaten track, enabling you to see how the people of the High Atlas live. It was exhilirating to leave the hustle and bustle of the medina behind and to enjoy the cool, clear mountain air. Tod is a mine of information about life in the High Atlas and has lots of interesting tales to tell.

We had lunch on the terrace of his house after we cleared 5 cm of snow from the table! The sun came out for us to enjoy it.

I would highly recommend taking a tour with Tod - he replied promptly to my email despite living in the High Atlas and we quickly arranged the tour. In fact, he seemed to have a better connection than we had in our riad in Marrakech!

We shared the tour with a couple who were staying in the same riad as us but we were quite willing to pay the amount requested for a tour with only 2 people - well worth it!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Highly recommend visiting the Atlas Mountains with Tod as your guide. We had a full day including a great shared cous cous lunch on Tod's patio. Really enjoyed being above the main tourist strip, hearing goats, cows, birds and the call to prayer. I was fascinated with the maze of mud/rock houses that made up the village. All of this and taking in the fresh mountain air was exactly the experience i was looking for and it contrasted well with bustling Marrakech. Thanks Tod.
Cheers
Pete & Chris
Melbourne, Australia

MoroccoTod, Owner at High Atlas Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

I appreciate your kind review! I really enjoyed taking you all around the mountains, mainly - to bring you to the perch far above the tourism in the valley, where people are herded to the souvenir shops by the waterfalls. Yes, it is better I think to get the feel of the local culture in the High Atlas Mountains, because the mud houses in the village as we are saying, are always being added onto and create a warm aerie from which they view the world. They are monetarily poor yet - taking me in as a foreigner, they've enriched my life. I do hope I adequately conveyed the richness of their culture to you all.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife, inlaws and I had the pleasure of Tod's guiding in both the Atlas Mountains and Essaouira. We were caught short when we landed in Marrakech and after very un-easy introduction to what is the seemingly standard experience of being fleeced in the Medina, we were not sure where what we were going to do regards sightseeing as we had not done much research. However a quick internet search and a chat with Tod and we felt much more at ease. Tod arranged everything for us and picked us up a short work from our Rhiad. For the Atlas mountains it was very interesting getting his perspective of how tourism and modernisation is affecting the small villages that we passed through to get to Fathima Setti. He was well versed in the local customs and traditions and also showed us to his own village and house. When he get's his B & B idea up and running it will be a great spot to stay. This was very much an off the beaten track tour and we were able to see first hand how the local's got to live behind the often glossed over facade that many tours show you. The next day was an early start out to Essaouira. Again Tod arranged the transportation. It was a very long featureless drive out there but once we were there Tod was able to show us around. So much more of a laid back feel in the market's compared to the Medina in Marrakech. Tod was able to provide some of the historical background of the city and we got to see the old Synagogue something that many tourists will not have thought about going to. On the way back to Marrakech we stopped off at a female collective Argan production venue for some souvenir soaps, honey and paste again arranged by Tod. All in all we had an educational and interesting time with Tod. We saw a lot of what the normal tourist would not see. If you are open minded, want to get off the beaten track, out of Marrakech and feel at ease with someone who will look out for you we cannot recommend Tod enough. He certainly knows the culture and has experienced all aspects of life in Morocco

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Mr Tod is an exceptional guide. My wife & I took him for a 2 days medina/high atlas tour on Oct 13. We had an amazing time during this tour. And we were thankful to get him as a guide as we get to see Marrakech from a foreigner's perspective.

Initial communications wif him via emails were prompt & clear. On the day of the tour, he was on punctual. He gave us useful tips so that we can avoid getting scammed. He even guide us bck to our riad at the end of both days to make sure we were safe. In other words, he made us feel very safe.

The 2nd day, the high atlas tour, was breathtaking. His knowledge on the morrocan & berber history is astounding. He took us to places where common tourists don't go. Really off the beaten track! We brought us to the villages & homes of real berber families. And to put icing to the cake, he invites us to his beautiful authentic berber home with a nice terrace with a breathtaking view of the atlas mountains. Trust me, no other guides in Marrakech can give such an inspiring experience like he did. Honestly, I didn't want to leave his terrace.

In all honesty, initially I thought Mr Tod's tour was a bit pricey. But after seeing with my own eyes what common tourist get wih normal guides, I don't think that I paid Mr Tod enough with the wonderful experience he shared with us. He was humble & honest with his words & actions. He truly made our vacation to Morocco a memorable one.

1  Thank shah3220
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Tod provided me with a unique insight into Moroccan life and culture during a video assignment i was working on. He took me to places both in Marrakech and the mountains that were way off the tourist circuit and I was able to film and experience aspects of Morocco that were truly exceptional.

With experience gained from his many years of living in Morocco, Tod was able to help me avoid tourist traps and being ripped off - which can happen at every turn - and his unique perspective on local life is something that a native guide cannot provide.

Thanks a lot Tod - I enjoyed your good company, gentle manners and will definitely use your services again.