“Great guide to the Atlas Mountain”

High Atlas Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #376 of 806 Tours in Marrakech
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Guide Marrakech is expanding southward! Now my focus is on day trips from Marrakech, as well as joining a day tour with a vehical in the city with a second day with the same driver in the High Atlas. Having seen the bustling souks of Marrakech, where the energy is full on, you can then relax to the tranquility of the Atlas, avoiding the heavy tourism in favor of a higher path. Here you can relax to the tranquility of the High Atlas and experience how people really, which to a great extent is much like it has been for centuries.. The path above Setti Fodma leads to trekking adventures going south (should you have more than a day to spend in the Atlas Mountains), and northward - a fairly level 25 minute hike - you can visit my village and have couscous on the terrace of my Berber house, the High Atlas Retreat, as a part of your day trip exploring the villages of the High Atlas.High Atlas Retreat is definitely a place to wind down with a view that is truly spectacular! I envision travellers coming to get an intimate view of village life where few westerners go even though it is just over an hour's drive from Marrakech; and others come in search of a place where there are discussions, as well, about East/West issues and where our world is going in this juncture where not only can you experience a thriving, indigenous culture and seek new ways to see our own lives outside the confines of globalization. And...the High Atlas Mountain Retreat is a great place for birdwatching!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Faaborg, Denmark
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great guide to the Atlas Mountain”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We (my wife, my daughter and I) found Tod and his business at the internet. We went for one day trip to the mountain near Marrakech with Tod and his driver.
We really have a nice excursion visiting family, Tods village (go there), and local farmers etc.
Realy nice to go there and have some hours away from Marrakech.
Tod gave us good introduction to another way of living in the small village. And a splendid meal!
We lso have a break under a tree in the village getting in contact with local women, washing their carpets.

We can recommend Tod as a guide

Visited July 2012

London
3 attraction reviews
“Great way to explore the Medina”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My mother and I recently returned from Marrakech, where we had an excellent weekend. Highlight of the trip was a fascinating tour around the medina with Tod. Tod is knowledgable and interesting and tailored the afternoon perfectly to suit us. He even realised when we were getting a little tired and so suggested a drink in a beautiful riad. Marrakech can be an intimidating place, but we felt like we gained an excellent sense of the real city, as well as taking in the main sites, which I suspect isn't easily achieved with the standard medina tours. Tod also chose a local guide to accompany us as well, who was extremely well informed and passionate about the city and its treasures.
We would definitely recommend Tod. The number of five star reviews should do the talking!!!

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Forgetable Experience in Marrakech”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife & I recenlty returned from a 10 day trip to Marrakech. We had booked Tod Zankert prior to our arrival for 8 days; we discontinued her services after 3. He was not what he claimed to be with regard to his status as a guide. He shared with us that he was not certified. Due to the latter, he had to sub-contract one tour. There were problems upon our arrival involing him at the airport and problems with the guide he sub-contracted on the tour of the Medina. His fees were substantially higher than others who offered the identical service; in one case, as much as 4 times greater. Luckily, we discovered this early on in our stay, and had a wonderful time in a very nice city. We plan on returning to Marrakech next year, but not with Mr. Zankert.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Joe C
MoroccoTod, Owner at High Atlas Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I did all I could to give you the same level of quality tour as the others I have taken around the beautiful off-beaten parts of the souks.  Only you did not seem to appreciate the authentic passages of Marrakech, nor did you complete the tour.  You did only 2 out of 6 hours.

My niche as a guide is to help travelers experience Marrakech away from the tourists who are herded between the points of the tourism triangle. However, as I said to you, foreigners cannot gain a badge. I explained I gain authorization by the day while we sat at Dar Charifa, a literary café and also the oldest house in Marrakech.  I told you about a book I am writing there titled, The Foreigner. You showed little interest and asked no questions aside from whether you could bring alcohol with you to the Atlas Mountains for the next day's excursion.

Despite my suggesting a light lunch on a terrace overlooking the storks on the fantastic ramparts in the Melah, you chose to go to a restaurant where you drank a bottle of wine with a heavy meal at the touristy Tazi Hotel. This turnoff completely threw off our agreed upon itinerary.  Too tired and intoxicated to finish the tour, you quit and demanded I call the driver to pick you up several hours early.

Again, your saying you must take bottles of alcohol with you to the mountains the following day caused a dilemma.  Alcohol, after all, does not mix well with the pristine villages or the slow, dissolving light setting behind the pin shaped minaret just across from my 2 story mud and stone flat. This exotic land is not Disney World, after all.  I gave you a refund for the High Atlas despite the fact both the guide and I booked you for the excursion. Then you said unless I returned all the money from vehicle transfers and left the cash in an envelope at the Sofitel desk, you threatened to call the touristic police as well as leave a bad review for me on Trip Advisor.

I believe we could have sorted out our differences and parted amenably, but I cannot tolerate people making threats for money.  This is not only against TripAdvisor policy but is simply unethical.
Bournemouth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unforgettable Memories of Marrakech”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Tod is a perfect, friendly guide and fount of wisdom on Marrakech. Guided tours are a must as Tod and the guides he finds are extremely knowledgeable and interesting, showing hidden areas difficult for tourists to find. Also being a lone female knowing he was available to contact made me feel much more at ease. Riad Africa was a great location near the centre of the Medina.

All the senses are assailed; so much to see, smell, touch, hear and taste – all so very exotic. I marvelled at the craftsmen in all trades and hope the traditional ways will not be lost. This is a photographers dream location, especially as the quality of light is so special and Tod is able to point you in the right direction for those unique shots.

I would highly recommend contacting Tod if you wish to visit Marrakech and the surrounding areas. As I only had a brief visit, I hope very much to return and be shown further afield by Tod and his guide friends.

Lorna, Bournemouth

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lorna M
MoroccoTod, Owner at High Atlas Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Many thanks for your review! I also thoroughly enjoyed taking you around to see the hidden places around Marrakech. Once one leaves the 'tourism triangle' (the streets between the Koutoubia Mosque, Ben Yousseff and Bahia palace) the original Marrakech remains - complete with some great new additions - that has existed for centuries, definitely a photographer's dream location. Marrakech is not only a historical place but continues on as a city always looking forward into the future.
Thank you so much for sending me a CD of some of your quality frames. They are more than snapshots but convey a narrative of your stay and how you felt about the place while respecting its sacred aspect. I hope to welcome you back one day, hopefully at such a time I fit a guest room into my 2-story mud flat in the High Atlas.
Shukron jazilan. Many thanks.
Lookout Mountain, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience with Tod Zankert”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This past November, our family had the great experience of touring Marrakech and the Atlas Mountains with Tod Zankert. Our Marrakech explorations with Tod enabled us to get to know the city and to eventually feel at one with the surroundings. Because of Tod's history as an American who has chosen Marrakech as his home, he can offer insights into the culture that are easily understood by visiting foreigners.

Our trip to the Atlas Mountains with Tod was an exceptional experience for our family. Tod is restoring a house in a mountain village so he is able to expose the visitor to local culture from an insider's perspective. We were able to trek along the hillsides and eventually experience Atlas hospitality when dining at a remote mountain family's home. Tod's Atlas Mountain tour is a "not to miss" experience when visiting Marrakech.

Visited November 2011