“Stunning oasis in Marrakech”
Review of Riad Kheirredine

Riad Kheirredine
Ranked #4 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a wonderful Riad in Marrakech. Staff are fantastic as is the terrace and the complimentary breakfast - best we had in Morocco! The walk to the square takes about 15/20min but you are given great directions and a guide by the staff, we had no trouble (and it is nice to weave through the souk like you know where you are going). We stayed in the most basic room, but it was still luxurious and had a nice view onto the inner courtyard. Above all else the staff are what make this Riad great - true hospitality.

If I were to return to Marrakech I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
riadkheirredine, Manager at Riad Kheirredine, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2016

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of Riad Kherredine with the Tripadvisor community.

We are really pleased to read your feedback. Positive remarks such as yours are most important and useful for us. They have been of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

There are so many nice touches and gave me a great feeling. First off is helping guest orientate in the confusing medina. The hotel arranged for staff to take guest out on an orientation walk, and have map and direction guide printed, very handy. Trust me, u need it. The staff is very patient and pointed to all the signs and "landmarks" along the way. Hotel even provided a mobile phone with names of manager and staff in it, and i was encouraged to call any time anywhere to seek help. It is really re-assuring. Second, little snack, water, fruits n drink are prepared every night just in case guests are hungry. Manageress Valentina also very helpful with suggesting places to visit and arrange guides. I was unfortunate to have a not very inspiring guide (whom the hotel used for the first time as the regular guide was not available). Upon hearing my "complaint" Valentina waived the fee even though I insisted on paying. Breakfast and dinner were delicious. The restaurant is small but very intimate. I met an American family who is so well travelled and dinner conversation lasted more than 2 hours and i got so much valuable travel tips. The staff are all very courteous, and everything went well, not mistakes. Considering I don't speak French this is incredibly wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Meng Ann L

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Rose room which was a very beautiful and cozy room with its own fireplace! It was great! but what makes the riad stand out besides being a very nice Riad is defenetely its staff! Every single one of the employees in Riad Kheirredine was beyond wonderful and helpful! On my last day in Marrrakech I got food poissening from eating in the streets and I had to go to a private clinic... I can not even begin to explain how nice Yahaira, Valentina and Abdul were... they took care of me as friends and not as another guest. Also many thanks to Ibrahim (who escorted us everyday around the medina with a charming smile) and thanks to all the rest of the staff of the Riad for a lovely experience. If we ever come back to Marrakech we will certainly be staying here!

Room Tip: Jasmine or Rose Room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We can't speak highly enough of this little "gem" tucked away in the medina of Marrakech. From our initial greeting at the train station to our departure
our experiences were always such good ones. Each member of staff were always polite,courteous, friendly and SO helpful. We were always offered someone to escort us either to or from the riad. The medina is quite complicated and initially this was a great help. but once we were comfortable with directions we were happy to venture out on our own. They also provided a mobile to call anytime if we were ever lost or needed help in any way. We stayed in three other riads on our travels and none of them offered either help or a mobile.

The breakfasts were amazing! Fresh juice, fresh bread, fresh cake, fresh fruit and all served on crisp white cloths with matching serviettes. Eggs were also an option but we found that there was an abundance of food already

Even though the square is a 15 minute walk away this is all part of the holiday and whilst you are walking you are always taking in so much.

Every time we arrived back at the riad we were always offered coffee, tea or fruit juice which came all free of charge. It was always served with a yummy homemade biscuits and if we decided we wanted to have it on the terrace with its spectacular views, it was never too much trouble.

All in all a wonderful riad which we would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank bobbybullet

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Valentina and Zahaira's team at Riad Kheirredine was first rate. Ishmael, Ibrahim, Abdul, Hemza, Wafa, Haiyyat, Elaine and everyone else at the Riad went out of their way (literally and figuratively) to make our stay as comfortable as they could. The hearty breakfast first thing in the morning fortified us marvellously for the rest of the day. The Riad is tucked away a little deeper into the Medina which gave us a glimpse of everyday life that we would not have otherwise had. I know other reviewers have raised this issue of the Riad being a bit away from the taxi stand. But for our family, traveling is about being as much of a local as we can get away with. And on that count, this Riad was perfect for us. The Riad gave us a phone to call in if we had questions or needed help figuring out something or finding out way. Someone or the other accompanied us to the main square or to the taxi stand whenever we asked. After the first day, the kids actually took pride in walking back "home" as if it was the most normal thing in the world (no GPS, no google maps, just learning to pay attention to little clues and being aware of landmarks along the way). The people who run the Riad made all the difference on this trip. We will have fond memories of our time in Marrakech because of them.

P.S. I hope I've spelt all the names correctly!

Room Tip: For families with children, the Yasmine suite is perfect. It's self-contained and has easy acces...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this riad after reading the good reviews on trip advisor and the reviews are absolutely correct, this is a fantastic place to stay. The staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them. This is a relaxing and welcoming riad that I would highly recommend. When we arrived, we had booked dinner which was a four course meal of delicious morroccon food, the breakfast is very good too. Tea,coffee, water, fruit and fresh juices are available to guests at any time. Valentina and her colleague arranged for us to visit a hamman that they use themselves and it was relaxing and reasonably priced. We stayed for two nights in the amber room which was beautifully decorated and comfortable. The mobile phone that was provided to us was very useful as we did get lost a couple of times! The location of this riad is only 10-15 mins walk away from the main square so I would say that it is very central but far enough to be in a quiet place, so it is ideal. Also the Marrakech museum and palaces are within easy walking distance or you can get a cab 5 mins walk from the riad, We didn't use the small plunge pool as it is not heated but I am sure that it would be very refreshing in summer! The price paid to stay in this fantastic l riad was definitely worth every penny and my only regret is that I would have liked to have stayed longer!

Room Tip: contact the hotel directly to check availability
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sandy23456
riadkheirredine, Manager at Riad Kheirredine, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2016

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the TA reviews. When traveling by myself security is very I important to me. They give you a local cell phone and this came in very handy as my first night I was coming back through the medina and was sent the wrong way by a local. In all my travels I had never met so many locals who deliberately try to get you lost (they do this so that one of their friends can "help" you and you pay them money. This was tried a few times with me but by the end I knew the right way to get home. So back to the story, I called the Riad on the phone they gave me and they sent one of their young men to come and get me - they have this service available 24/7 - so worth it.

The Riad arranged for a pick up (and drop off) at Casablanca airport.

They met me at the taxi stand and took me through the medina to the Riad. Greeted me with tea and cookies. I was given the Rose room for my stay. Overlooks e courtyard and great room, but if the Riad is full sometimes you can hear people going past the room on the stairs.

I went to take a shower pun my arrival and the shower did not work. They had someone there to fix it within 30 minutes - such things happen and the response to fix the problem was immediate. Separate soap and shampoo but no hair conditioner - fortunately I had brought my own. The shower has no curtain so tended to end up with a wet floor. Bed was very comfortable!

I had forgotten to bring an adapter so they lent me one.

Breakfast was great - variety of food, and a lot of food.

Location is a long way from the square - 15 minute walk. Not a huge issue as I love to walk, but could get a little crazy late at night. Dinner in the square each night at the open markets was great - but the drumming up for the business was quite offensive at times.

This was my first trip to Africa, so not sure how much this is localized to Marrakech and how much is North African, but the pushiness and deceit in trying to deliberately get tourists lost in the Medina is not something I have encountered in my previous travels. I tend to explore and end up in places where locals tend to be very hopeful in getting me back on track. I met up with some others in Marrakech who had been to Fez and they had the same experiences in Marrakech but not Fez. So the policy of the Riad in providing a local phone and guides for the Medina is much appreciated - the others were somewhat jealous, but then again they were paying much less for their Riads.

So why four stars and not five stars? The location is a long way from the square and the Palais and other historical sites. Others stayed in Riads closer to the square and for much less (but remember I had the security of the cell phone). And the e-mail they sent after my stay asking me to provide a five rating was quite off-putting. I rely on TA postings to help guide me in my choice of accommodations, and am disappointed to think that people would provide a five rating because a place they enjoyed staying asked them to. To be honest, I delayed posting my review as wanted to ensure I was fair and honest.

I greatly enjoyed my stay. The hospitality was great - comfortable rooms, great breakfasts, great guides, local cell phones. The location is not so good, and if I were to return to Marrakech I would probably stay closer to the square for less money.

Room Tip: Rose room was nice, but beware there is no shower curtain so the floor floods after you use the show...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo