1) Valentina. Great, friendly personality, helpful and cheerful. Knowledgeable and always willing to advise and assist. Abdul - very friendly, too. Francesco - always smiling.
2) The roof relaxation area - great view over the city, fantastic ambiance. Too bad December is too cold in the evenings, we would certainly hang out there if it were warmer
3) Clean rooms. Comfy beds. Nice toiletries.
4) charming decorations.
5) the staff supplied cellphones in case guests were lost. Very appreciated because of the confusing location.
1) super cramped rooms. Sandal room felt like being in a closet.
2) very dark lights - we had to use flashlights to read books in our rooms.
no internet signal in the rooms. Had to sit either in the breakfast room on in the cold courtyard.
3) noisy local girls in the haman talking until midnight. (across from Verveine room). The echoing voices not allowing us to sleep - in the final act of exasperation we went out of the room and told them to be quiet.
4) poor water pressure - water just trickling at times (and completely off one morning - had to get the front desk to turn the pump on - we had already soaped ourselves, that was awkward)
the showers don't drain properly and backed up.
5) We stayed in Verveine room and later in Sandal -
my 5'11" husband hit his head on the low ceiling in the bathroom and the staircase.
Sandal shower unusable - the water would spray everywhere - no curtain and no screen, and super cramped. we could not shower there.
The Verveine room was really cold - the electric heater is undersized for the room.
6) breakfast - we ordered an omelette and were given a browned sunny-side up, dried around the edges. When we very gently tried to explain what the omelette should be, we encountered bad attitude from the Moroccan staff, accusing us of "using English", "not knowing what an omelette was", but "omelette" is the same word in French!
Two girls from Singapore had similar problem - they ordered sunny side up and were given overcooked scrambled eggs.
Khalid (not sure of the spelling) was especially rude - during the omelette discussion I mentioned to him that I used to work in a restaurant in Germany, to which he answered "what do Germans know about food".
Wow! surely the guests feel like royalty in this Riad!
About the location: mixed feelings.
while it is very authentic and almost romantic to be looking for the ornately carved door in the labyrinth of Medina, it is darn impractical.
We were lucky to book the transfer from the airport or else we would never ever find the Riad. Pity the guests which were forgotten at the aiport.
The taxi drops you off 10 minutes walk from the riad and it is truly a maze. Without Riad's representative, it would be impossible to find.
On the way out, we felt comfortable enough to not ask for a guide, but we pulled our luggage on the cobblestones for around 1 km - really hard on the wheels - and no boy with a cart in sight. Allow plenty of time to walk to the streets (and taxis).
Strangely enough, without booking this Riad we would never experience the movie-set-like labyrinth. It WAS romantic.
The bottom line:
the owners try to do the best with what they have (being an old, cramped building in an awkward location).
the building cannot be changed (size of the rooms or ridiculous up and down staircases).
What can be changed is the attitude of some of the staff, the shower drains, the water pressure booster pump and perhaps some reading lights?
We also compared the prices and check the facilities in other riads, and found that Kheirredine wasn't the greatest bargain.
Also, strangely enough, the human touch made the shortcomings of the Riad possible to accept.
In the future, if we find a good deal, we might consider coming back for couple of nights if only to share the magical location with friends or family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Riad can defined like a boutique hotel as we have a personalized service. All ours Rooms are equiped with phone, minibar, safetybox, hairdryer, insuite bathroom, heater and air condioning. We have a multilanguages staff service 24 to 24 hours. In the restaurant we have a international and Moroccan cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Riad Kheirredine reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riad Kheirredine Hotel Marrakech