“Waste of time”

Ranked #7 of 917 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, French, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A five course modern tasting menu with subtle Moroccan influences.
Reviewed May 5, 2014

After being invited down on the promise of a table, we purchased a bottle of champagne. Only after drinking the champagne the restaurant informed us they were infact full and we could not dine in the restaurant. To be honest it looks run down, and with only 8 tables there is no atmosphere. Lucky escape tbh!

paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Well hello, you sounded so nice on the phone, and the staff had a lovely time treating you like stars they said! So it is quite a shock to read your review after how appreciative you were on the night.

For those reading, let me explain how the evening unfolded. Gastro mk was full for all the evenings Jninetynine was in Marrakech so he called the UK and spoke to me the owner. I gave all the same good advice that I give to everyone.

Advice like… if you keep refreshing the booking page you will see if any tables come free over the coming days as we do get cancellations. Also, some days in advance there is a chance that one of the tables reserved for guests staying in the rooms at maison mk can be released to non residents if the internal guest decides to dine out that evening.
Also, (and sadly!) almost every single night we get no shows which is such a shame for all the people like you that really want to dine.
Chef is cooking for the number of people booked so we now say ( and it is also stated on the web page Jninteynine was looking at) that at 8.15pm if someone has not shown up we have to assume they are not coming and anyone waiting for a table can have it.

By the time someone doesn’t turn up its too late to get anyone on a waitlist to come as they usually don’t answer their phone, are too far way, or have made other arrangements by then. So, this is what I told you, this is what is written on the website. You could come to just have a drink at the bar, it opens to non residents at 7pm. You could have a lovely aperatif at the rooftop and if a table comes free then you are there and able to take advantage, if it doesn’t then its not a waste as you will have enjoyed the aperatif on the roof terrace, a treat in itself, and its still early enough to go on somewhere else still for dinner.

I immediately called the riad to let them know you would arrive that evening, and to put you first on the waitlist for a table – surprisingly, they said you already called from your taxi asking for directions. Apparently you turned up at the door well before opening time, but they were told it was your girlfriend’s birthday and didn’t want to turn you away. They contacted me to let me know.
As they told me about it being her birthday and you had ordered champagne, I wanted to do something special to go with the champagne and asked chef if he could do some really special canapes for you – like the gastro mk pre dinner ones. They delivered, and they looked after you superbly from all accounts.

Sadly, and rather unusually absolutely everyone showed for dinner that night.
The following night, I saw a cancellation come up late afternoon for dinner and wanted to contact you – I called the riad to see if you had left any details so I could call you – instead I found staff that had just seen your review from the previous evening and they couldn’t believe it. I know the effort they go to to make it special for everyone there.

I can understand you were disappointed there were no noshows for dinner that night, but it does look like you may have incorrectly set and not met your own expectation here, and that, not gastro mk, I think is what has left the bad taste in your mouth!

As we have said before in our responses, we try to do everything possible to ensure that clients are given as much information as possible (often we feel it may be too much information!) about what we can, and cannot, do. We obviously want people to have a great time at gastro mk & we were doing all we could to help you – the easy answer would have been “No, we are full.” Looking back at the chain of events, I honestly do not know what we could have done differently – but despite that, I am sorry that you felt upset and I am sad that you were not able to communicate that to us directly. The next review after yours was from a guest that also came to the bar & they did get a table because there was a no-show, so it looks like the system generally works , just not in your case.

Regards,
Paul (owner)

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We chose to eat at Gastro MK for the night of our 25th Wedding Anniversary and were delighted that we did so. You need to book and they ask you to arrive at 7.30 p.m. for drinks on the roof terrace and to look at the menu. We actually found our way there a bit more quickly than we had thought we might and arrived soon after 7 p.m. and were therefore the first there. That meant we had first choice for our table and chose one by the pool but also - wonderfully - there is an elevated bit of the roof terrace that looks down not only at the rest of the roof terrace but fantastically over the rest of the city; there's only 1 table there with 2 seats !
The food was fantastic, the service was fantastic and we had a lovely evening - albeit relatively expensive by Marrakech standards, but still excellent value.

1  Thank DANDLArundel
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We arrived just before 7.30pm and was made to feel extremely welcome by staff. We chose our table before going up onto the terrace for drinks. Drinks are very reasonable. Menu is superb. We had canapés served with drinks.....perfect size! Dead on 8pm we were shown downstairs to the restaurant. You are served tasters for all courses but each is a perfect amount, such that we were nicely full at the end of the evening. The wine list is good and caters for all price bands. We felt the food and service was of the same quality you would expect from a top London restaurant. A nice touch that the chef visited each table. I would recommend this restaurant and it certainly made our holiday! Thank you Paul :-)

1  Thank antandf
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I went to Morocco with a group but got away one night to dine on my own... to Gastro MK. As much I enjoyed "typical food" of Morocco during the rest of the trip, I wanted to have one night for that special meal--even tho I was by myself. Gastro MK did not disappoint me...in fact, amazed me--that other side of Morocco living/eating. Appertif on the rooftop was delightful...dinner downstair, incredible. They treated me, a solo diner who often gets left in the dark corner, like a queen. After tasting their cauliflower soup with argan oil, I had to buy argan oil (elsewhere) to take home!!

Thank you for making the evening so special. btw, others in my group could not wait to hear my experience...and they were jealous!!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

A true perl - restaurant in the Medina - just check out how to get there and there will be no trouble finding the entrance door to this beautiful maison. - We enjoyed a lovely drink and canapés on the rooftop terrace with fantastic view on the old city. - The dinner starts at 8pm (everyone gets their food at the same time) so be cautious to be punctual. We enjoyed every single dish - especially the surprising cucumber sorbet ) with perfect, warm service. Any question we had (mostly unrelated to the food, more about Morocco, its people, argan oil etc.) was answered extensively and with pride and without time pressure. The chef Omar El Ouahssoussi came to the tables and inquired about our evening. He too, is a very dedicated, customer-oriented person like all the other staff we had contact with. We enjoyed every moment of this amazing evening and have recommended maison mk to our friends!