New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Gastro MK at Maison MK
Ranked #1 of 769 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan, European, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A five course modern tasting menu with subtle Moroccan influences.
Surrey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was the best food I had in Marrakech it was stunning! The wonderful evening started on the beautiful terrace with the sun setting over the rooftops - I sipped my Maguerita and ate the wonderful canapes. The five course meal was an absolute treat served in the stunning dining room on the ground floor of the Riad. It was a great evening and gave me the oppportunity to talk to some fellow travellers. As I was staying at Maison MK I also had the opportunity to eat lunch there which at 20 euros for a 3 course meal I felt represented excellent value for money.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank JasperSurrey

New york
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Thank you Faysal and the team for a delicious dinner. Each plate was amazing, see you there guys next time

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Abdelnyc
New York City, New York
“BEST OF THE BEST, LOVED IT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I and my girlfriend stayed at maison mk and ate at the in-house restaurant one night. 5 courses of amazing food. A smart and fantastic mix of moroccan flavours & french style - best meal we ever had. Great selection of wines & cocktails . Atmosphere is just the one everyone is looking for , i highly recommend this place, Marrakech without Maison Mk is incomplete
when you go there, see how the stuff act and plz smile back :)

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“amazing dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

we stayed at maison mk in November and ate at the in-house restaurant one night. 5 courses of amazing food. A lovely mix of moroccan flavours & french style - best meal we had in marrakech. Great selection of wines & cocktails as well. And the homemade olive bread...wow !

Visited November 2012
Vienna, Austria
“OMG!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We (my wife and myself) were attracted by positive reviews read (here). Most of them sounded like something that one must not miss.
To start with: one books a gourmet dinner!
The riad (read design hotel) is really spectacular - amidst the souk (market) area of Marrakech, splendid designed guest rooms, extremely friendly staff.
This is the end of good news. The gourmet dinner was a disaster. Poor starter, miserable main dish! Thinking back, I wondered - what else could have one expected with a wine card consisting of four wines for each of white, rose and red? And even more - some Euro 50/person for a dinner? My mistake! However, other reviews or rankings should somehow have indicated the expectations.
My review is meant to do exactly that. If you are not too demanding, you'll have a great evening.
And vice versa.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank SlowhandW
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi SlowhandZagreb
So, firstly thank you for the lovely comments on the riad , the guest rooms, and the staff. I always like to see other reviews that guests have made on trip advisor, it gives a flavour of how a person expresses their opinions. You are certainly a person of strong opinions and extreme views– only 5 reviews, and 2 of them are 5 stars, and 3 of them are 1 star !

I am not sure how to respond to your comments at the other extreme! "disastrous food", "poor starter" & "miserable main dish". I have looked at the other feedback from the 17th June (the night Mr Peros joined us) and it was all excellent so I can only assume that you had a specific problem that the other guests did not find in their comments on the food. What puzzles me even more is that you rate two of the five courses so badly now but the head waiter reported that evening that you said the pre-starter was SO delicious that you wanted a second portion – which we gave you, I wonder if too much pre-starter then altered your appetite for the next courses ?

The wine list – as can be seen on our website, we have a choice of 13 wines, 3 champagnes, and a full range of spirits. We have a full alcohol licence which only applies to a handful of riads out of the 1000 in the medina. We worked hard to be able to legally sell alcohol by obtaining our licence & the wines range from moroccan house wine up to Chablis & Pomerol so there is usually something for all tastes. ( we also have bubbles ranging from Prosecco to Veuve to Cristal !) Sorry that it was clearly not sufficient for you, but our aim is not to impress or confuse with a lengthy list, but rather simply and easily satisfy the taste buds beautifully and boutiquely!

The final complaint was the "price of 50 euros for dinner" – actually its 55. About the same price as 2 or 3 drinks at the Mamounia hotel where you were staying. You were told in advance the price of the meal, given a sample menu, directions, help on how to pay, etc, etc so if you read the information, it should not have been a surprise.

Clearly it seems Mr Peros was having a bad evening – whether it is our fault I am not too sure. I have read all of his comments & generally we try to learn something from all feedback – but in this case I am not sure if the views of Mr Peros are very relevant to our other guests. Whilst we agree that your review might help others like you to avoid us, its a shame that your extreme views gave us a 1star rating hit ...which might end up stopping the right people from even finding us.

Regards