WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Incredible food and amazing value for the quality and atmosphere of the restaurant!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gastro MK at Maison MK

Gastro MK at Maison MK
Ranked #1 of 788 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan, European, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A five course modern tasting menu with subtle Moroccan influences.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great service and staff - we started by having a few cocktails on the roof and the canapes were a really lovely surprise.

Visited March 2013

“Best food and service in Marrakech”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I absolutely loved the whole experience. Amazing food, wonderful setting and the best service ever.

1 Thank jeanette esposito
Shropshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Class Gastro Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

After reading excellent reviews we booked this restaurant ahead of our trip to Marrakesh. We were not disappointed in any way, from the welcome, the beautiful setting, outstanding service with very attentive staff and excellent menu, the whole evening was very professionally orchestrated.

After being shown the facilities we would certainly book to stay at this Riad for our next visit to Marrakesh 100% recommended.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Fantastic setting, food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I ate at MK Gastro on the last night of a short break to celebrate our 40th birthdays. The experience was great from start (drinks and hors d'oevres on the beautiful roof terrace) to end (which, in my case, was a lovely spice sorbet). The five course taster menu (plus amuse-bouches) was first rate, the service was attentive without being overly so, and the setting was stunning. I thoroughly recommend MK Gastro for anyone looking for a special night out in Marrakech.

London
“Very good for service and surroundings, food needs to step up a notch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We dined at Gastro MK during our visit to Marrakech for our first wedding anniversary, so we wanted a special place to eat on our first night. The five course tasting menu is 55 euros a head. We got lost on our way to Maison MK when our petit taxi led us astray, we happened on another Riad who had connections with the Maison MK and promptly a member of staff came to get us and lead us in the right direction. Very kind!

We were taken up to the roof terrace and ordered drinks, it is a great space with views over the city. We could hear and smell and see the sights of the main square, and the call to prayer started. A wonderful atmospheric start to the evening. After a little time here we were lead downstairs where we could sit in the restaurant or outside in very cool curved seats overlooking the waterfall and pool, in the inner courtyard. We chose this part as it was very private, and a great space.

The staff were excellent, and attentive. This is where it falls down though, the food although decent and we ate pretty much everything (struggling by time we got to the fig tiramisu though!) just wasnt interesting or exciting enough. There wasn't any dish myself or my husband had that we raved about or thought had enough flavour or spices. A tasting menu, to us, indicates smaller portions with inventive flavours and creativity, and are sad to report that we found it lacking in this department.

The chef does come round after the meal to check everyone's thoughts on the meal but this seemed more like a obligatory routine than a genuine interest in the customers thoughts. I also feel uncomfortable sitting in someones premises, after a few glasses of wine, to be utterly truthful about their food. I also received an email from Gastro MK after we had got back to the UK asking us to send a review into Trip Advisor and explaining to us the negative affect that a review of under 4 stars could have for them, and asking that should we have anything negative to say to contact them first. I don't like this, personally I find this a bit wrong, and perhaps manipulative? I have never been to a restaurant that has contacted me after the meal asking me to review them in a positive manner.

I have struggled to decide on the overall rating, the Riad, the atmosphere and the staff deserve 4, the food deserves 3.5 so overall a 4 as I do believe its the whole package of the evening that counts.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LondonKymani
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Gastro MK at Maison MK, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi LondonKymani – thanks for the review on Tripadvisor – as you know, we ask for feedback from all guests.
I am very happy that you enjoyed the place, and the excellent staff, but I am sorry that you found the food not spiced sufficiently. We are always looking to find a good balance between clients finding it not spicy enough or too spicy – and generally we seem to have managed a good balance. It is the same with the timings of the meal – 95% of people say it is just right but there are always a few people that think it is too slow or too fast !
Most clients have certain courses that were particular highlights – the spiced cucumber sorbet (it’s a sorbet but with Tabasco spice that means it’s freezing in your mouth followed by the heat of the Tabasco !). But its very unusual to find everything unmemorable – sorry.
The chef is always keen to talk to guests – often they want to ask how a certain dish is made, or they just enjoy meeting the man who has created all their lovely food. And, although most comments are very appreciative towards Omar, people will also say that they didn’t like something as much as the rest & its all useful for him to get the detailed feedback from clients. I’m sorry that you didn’t feel that you could be truthful about the food with him – its why he comes out to chat !
We do send out to all clients a request for a tripadvisor review after a few days – and the reason we say to get in touch if you are unhappy is because we like to deal with any issues straight away. I have just done 2 management responses on tripadvisor where we were given very good / excellent reviews on our feedback form on the night, yet a 1 or 2 star review on tripadvisor. Tripadvisor is not the best way to find out more about the problem – the client can write one review, and we can write one response – that’s all. So its much better to deal with problems by email so we can get to the bottom of the problem. Certainly negative reviews have a very strong impact on a businesses position in the tripadvisor ranking system, but we will always be positioned wherever client reviews place us – thankfully that is so far very good. But I hope that this explains a little more about how much we care (that’s why I type so much !!) & that we like to get to the bottom of any problems or issues that a client may have.

Regards,