“Good choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Renaissance

Hotel La Renaissance
Ranked #374 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This review is purely based on our experience of the Sky Bar.

We visited the Sky Bar on a recommendation of our tour rep, although I had been to the hotel before, I had not experienced the Sky Bar. On first viewing, all looked promising, beautiful views, pool, sun loungers, outdoor heaters (chilly in Jan!)

We specifically made the journey in a taxi from the other side of town so were looking for a stylish, buzzing bar with good service and drinks (as billed).

We were slightly disappointed that it was pretty much empty so no real atmosphere but thought we'd enjoy ourselves sampling the cocktails anyway. We ordered a mojito and an amaretto sour. The waitresses were not particularly friendly or accommodating so we went to the bar ourselves to order. The mojito arrived and was ok but the amaretto sour tasted and looked like whiskey and coke. We queried this and asked what was in it, the waitress (who had made it!!) had no idea and then told us it was vodka. We informed her that there was no vodka or coke in an amaretto sour and could we change it to just another mojito, which she did, but unhappily.

We ended up a bit fed up in the bar in the 5th floor so ventured upstairs to the sky bar. Again, no atmosphere at all but lovely views. We ordered 2 more cocktails, Cosmopolitans, which were again very very average and to be honest we were getting a bit fed up with paying extortionate prices for very badly made cocktails and rude staff with no knowledge of drinks at all. We persevered though and asked for some shisha to be told there was "no chance" as the "shisha man" had the night off. After this we tried one more average cocktail and decided to leave.

In this day and age, and in such an established hotel with its reputation, and with the prices they charge, I don't believe it's acceptable to receive the awful service that we did and for staff to have so little knowledge of the product they are selling. There were 4 bar staff in an empty bar, get some training done and provide the service that your customers pay the high prices for - that's my advice!! There's no excuse for such bad service and bad drinks in such a high profile bar in a beautiful location. I work in the bar industry and would whip those awful staff into shape in no time!!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jocpow
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

As sure as I was born, I love to travel. I've stayed at many hotels and visited many countries. I love to talk to my friends and family about all of my adventures and give advice to them about where to stay and that to do. That aside, I'm not much of a reviewer. In fact, I can't remember the last time I wrote anything for the pubic to read. However, I feel the need to express my feelings about La Renaissance. Hopefully, my review helps you.

I stayed a this property for five nights in January 2013 and I can safely say that it is one of my most favorite hotels in the world. As soon as I walked in, I felt that I was in a different world away from the hustle and bustle of the busy city and into a place that screamed fun and relaxation at the same time being very modern and welcoming. My room, was beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable to the point where it was almost difficult to leave. The food was spectacular at both of their restaurants. I must admit to feeling spoiled having breakfast with a backdrop of debatably the best view of Marrakech. The staff went out of their way to get to know me from the moment I walked through the door for the first time to the moment I checked out. Never have I felt so welcome at a hotel before. One example of their exceptional staff is Hassan who I always found at the reception area. Hassan was sure to greet me with a smile, a joke and a handshake every time I came back from a long day exploring the beautiful city. I had a great visit to Morocco and La Renaissance was a very big part of it.

The next time I go to Marrakech, I would certainly love call La Renaissance my home...provided that it is not sold out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KleeTheTravelMonkey
slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

we have just returned from 1 week stay in the hotel. we enjoyed it a lot and its good value for the money.
we all have to be aware that opinions written here / T.A. reflect how well or not well travelled we are. these facts should be considered objectively.

we enjoyed the service of all the staff. i cannot quote one single comment or complaint.

briefly:
reception: efficent / friendly / reliable / mr Hassan - thank you
la brasserie: friendly /relax athmosfere
breakfast: friendly / attentive
room: clean, noisy for the location, we were aware of it before booking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lan23co
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My friends and I spent 4 days in this hotel and it was wonderful. The rooms were clean and pleasant, the staff were helpful (especially Hassan) and views from the 6th floor spendid.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and although the rooms were by the road side the noise levels weren'...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Marrakech, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a reservation of 18 people for the evening. We were the first to arrive of our group. We were greeted immediately, and escorted to the sixth floor where the restaurant was. We were immediately served cocktails. Our waiter was extremely nice and professional. The evening went well. The food was very good, except for the bones in the fish, and at times the food was cold. Everything was brought out on trays. So I'm not sure if the food had sat or it could be my fault, due to the dancing involved.There was a band, which was phenominal. Excellent atmosphere. All in all, the evening was wonderful do to being with the family and friends.Everyone was given gifts to ring in the new year, all ladies were given a rose. Thank you for a very nice evening

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Michelle M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Just got back from morocco. Stayed at this hotel most of the trip! I liked that it was away from the madness of the medina area. Close enough but far enough away! The staff was very friendly and nice. The front desk/concierge Hassan was extra helpful and planned great side trips for us to the desert, waterfalls and atv. He def made our trip a lot better and easier with his help! The hotel itself is modern and very clean. The restaurant downstairs has good food and the bar on the roof is really cool and gives a great view of the city. Not sure y other ppl posted it wasnt clean? i found it to be spotless!! I had a great stay and would love to go back soon! You should def think about staying here when and if you decide to go to morocco! And make sure to ask for Hassan!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple