“Terrible Food, Poor Service, Overpriced - Tourist Trap”

La Terrasse des Epices
Ranked #92 of 966 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: European, Moroccan
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I ate lunch here today. My first impression was:
Everyone here is a tourist, or maybe local young trying to be fashionable. This set off alarm bells as generally you are paying for a scene (and frequently for me a scene I DO NOT think is cool) and the food and service will be poor and overpriced.

So, unfortunately this was the case. I ordered a green salad (granted it was not on the menu and the waitress said it could be done - they have a Ceasar but I didnt want the Ceasar dressing, so I said green and balsamic olive oil dressing please). They sent me a plate of soggy iceberg lettuce. We have eaten excellent salad greens in Marrakech, so I knew this meant their kitchen is not of a great standard. My husband ordered their mixed salad plate and it was terrible too - the carrots spiced with cumin but no subtlety (slightly bitter with no other flavor), eggplant that was sub-par and some potato that was just fine. I sent the salad back and said dont bother with another (I realized if both our starters were poor, it wasnt going to get better a second time around).

Next our main courses. My husband and I were starving. he left half of his chicken cous cous behind, it was so underwhelming. I left 3/4 of my Tagine of lamb behind. The meat was tough, the sauce was mostly just sweet & a bit salty with very little else in terms of flavor. I had ordered rice, it came only after I reminded the waitress then a waiter, 3 times, When it came it was old rice reheated in a microwave, it was still hard and had a strange smell. The meal was so bad that at this point I just gave up. I ate a total of 3 bites, then we paid and left. It was expensive too - my Tagine was the equivalent of US$25, plus the rice was extra. The soggy salad was US$10.

Also a small note - this place is meant ot be cool and of course cool is very subjective, but I want to say that I find this whole style of place tacky and tired. It is full of tourists, who knows from where, and some young not very sophisticated looking locals. It has a Miami meets Marrakech vibe that is also a bit worn around the edges and not luxurious. It's a pity, the roof deck is nice, but with such crap food and tired design and concept, it was grating to my sense of aesthetics and failed to sate my appetitie, PLUS it was expensive.

DONT BOTHER.

4  Thank AlastairCookieNYC
Write a ReviewReviews (3,377)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

A great find, funky roof top terrace with great vibe and tasty food. We went back there twice in four days because it was nice and relaxed and prices were really reasonable. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The ambience, the quality of food were all very good. Very nice tagines and salad. Great for a leisurely lunch.

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

After souks rest here with spicy tea and watch the world go by. Terrace on the top is a unique as it offers amazing view of the square and the roofs. Service is sublime.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

It is a relaxed place,friendly service,decent food,not to write home about,but for acceptable prices.It is a place in and for the sun,hot or cool,and despite covered stalls,not recommended during the occasional showers.The restaurant is almost only visited by tourists.Locals eat,more often than not,at home,because mama cooks the best and is certainly cheaper.Moroccans ,if they eat out,choose restaurants specializing on local food.Les terraces offers a compromise,fresh Italian noodles or tangine.